Mulberry Antony Satchel

(66 Posts)
Dancergirl Sun 23-Feb-14 22:36:42

I know it's £££ but am considering it as an investment bag.

Anyone got one? How big is it? Worth the money?

This one:

www.johnlewis.com/mulberry-antony-satchel-across-body-bag/p55766?colour=Black#tabinfo-ratings

mintymellons Fri 28-Feb-14 10:43:32

I have the large one in a sort of tan/ginger colour - it's lovely. Got mine from the outlet store a few years ago and it was about half price. I love the colour and have never seen anyone else with the same one!
It's a very versatile bag as others have said. Can look smart or casual and the large size holds a fair amount.

Doyouthinktheysaurus Thu 27-Feb-14 16:48:20

I have the Seth in Oak, it's very heavy!

I don't use it all that much tbh because even with nothing in it seems to weigh a lot.

Other than the weight it's a great bag, just not as lovely and user friendly as the Antony IMO.

I'm really liking the Michael Kors bags, especially Selma in pink. Looks very nice, I wonder what the leather is like.......

annaban Thu 27-Feb-14 15:07:05

Might be worth getting in touch with the lovely lady at naughtypigin to see if she has one, or to see how often she gets them? 100% genuine and strictly vetted for quality... A much safer option than eBay in the circumstances?

here

I love mine, really pleased I got one and with JL vouchers pretty much same price you would pay on eBay?? My grosvenor bag is in burnt orange lovely for summer not that will prob ever use it now !!

mrsrhodgilbert Thu 27-Feb-14 13:38:48

If you have JL vouchers and can comfortably afford the rest then why not go for it? This style doesn't tend to go in the sales and, if recent prices continue, it's only going to get more expensive. Sounds like you have established its the style for you, it doesn't matter what anyone else thinks, but actually it's the style my DH likes the most. He as been well educated in Mulberry. I got mine for much less from the outlets, I think the prices have gone crazy, but you have a voucher so go for it. I'd always be wary of eBay, but that's because I have never used it.

Dancergirl Thu 27-Feb-14 13:33:12

They've got loads on Ebay!

A question - how is the Seth different? Is it an older model?

Dancergirl Thu 27-Feb-14 13:02:56

I am home from my visit to Bicester!

In Mulberry, they only had the small size Anthony in a not nice muddy brown colour (not chocolate), it was indeed £315. They said they v rarely get the larger ones in.

carrielou I tried the Radley Grosvenor, I quite liked it. They only had strange colours though.

Another possibility was a Michael Kors bag a bit like this one:

www.michaelkors.com/p/MICHAEL-Michael-Kors-MICHAEL-Michael-Kors-Large-Hamilton-Messenger-CROSSBODY-BAGS/prod24460001_cat50401_cat8501_/?index=6&cmCat=cat000000cat8501cat50401&isEditorial=false

It seemed to sit quite nicely.

But after all that, I still prefer the Mulberry one, it's a classic. But seeing as getting one from an outlet is pretty slim, I can either buy a new one <gulp> (although I do have £120 JL vouchers) or buy a second hand one on Ebay.

I buy bags that I like not worried about the make. A bag I bought as I did not want to pay for small Antony is medium Radley Grosvenor - cross body , several pockets, sits nicely andi know a lot of people sneer at Radley on here. Doesn't bother me, I like the bag smile

CheeseStrawWars Wed 26-Feb-14 20:44:40

For a moment, reading only the title, I genuinely thought this was a Baby Names thread.

Dancergirl Wed 26-Feb-14 20:38:48

Thanks I'll look.

It's not that I want a particular brand, I'm not really into labels as such...I just want a cross body bag that's not too piddly small yet sits comfortably.

I just might have a look at Bicester village...

thesaurusgirl Wed 26-Feb-14 20:37:00

You may need to tread carefully with the Longchamps as they have also adopted the step-down in quality/step-up in price business model.

I have a Roseau tote from 15 years ago and it is infinitely better leather than the one used for the current range. I was in the shop the other day and was shocked at the decline.

Stevie77 Wed 26-Feb-14 20:30:46

OP, look at Michael Kors. I have a cross body one which is no longer made but like the new Weston. Quite a few of the styles have a short and a long strap so you can wear both on your shoulder and across the body, which I quite like. There are a number of outlets in the UK, there's one at Cheshire Oaks for example.

IMHO, I do like Mulberrys but they've become a bit of a thing to have by those with fashion herd mentality purely due to the brand name and feel their cost now is unjustified so would personally not have one.

annaban Wed 26-Feb-14 20:25:50
Stepawayfromthezebras Wed 26-Feb-14 20:20:01

grin @ thesaurusgirl! My first stop after a lottery win is going to be an Evelyne in olive green!

bialystockandbloom Wed 26-Feb-14 20:19:41

Yes, agree about unjustified price hike for Mulberry. DP and I exchanged a fair few Mulberry bags/wallets for birthdays and Christmas some years ago but ridiculous prices now. Also, nice leather and style, but many of them don't have enough inside pockets or compartments compared to other brands. Maybe that's changed though, I haven't had a new Mulberry bag for a few years.

Dancergirl Wed 26-Feb-14 20:16:31

That Longchamp one is 27 x 28cm, I think that's about the same as the large Antony..?

These suggestions are fab, thanks all, keep them coming!

Dancergirl Wed 26-Feb-14 20:14:46

I don't really like that shape annaban

But Longchamp...now you're talking. Love the veau folonne one.

thesaurusgirl Wed 26-Feb-14 20:14:00

Cross body bags do tend to be on the small side, I think because they're not so comfortable if you load them up with lots of stuff.

But if it's that size you're looking for, I would look at men's bags, particularly at Coach and again at Mimi Berry.

If you have won the lottery tonight, have a look at the Evelyne and Jypsiere bags from Hermes wink.

Dancergirl Wed 26-Feb-14 20:09:02

Thanks theasuars. They look a bit small.

What I like about the Mulberry is that it's roomy and sits well on your body. Neat looking.

I would welcome any other suggestions that fits the bill!

annaban Wed 26-Feb-14 20:07:41

I adore Mulberry and have bought a few over the years, but I would have to agree with some other posters re: the ridiculous price hikes of late - totally unjustified!!

What about chloe, and in particular for the style / size you are after...

delicious

Stepawayfromthezebras Wed 26-Feb-14 20:04:31

I know most people don't like them but I'm a big fan of the man bag for ladies. Gucci and LV do some nice ones which look similar to the Anthony but are a bit different. And they're cheaper than the women's lines. Also Longchamp have some lovely leather cross body bags for a lot cheaper than Mulberry

Gucci

Longchamp

Gorgeous ladies Longchamp

Black leather Longchamp with a silver hardware toggle

Sod it, the whole Longchamp cross body line

I'm not actually answering the question that you asked but I do love a cross body bag me

LadyMaryLikesCake Wed 26-Feb-14 19:56:44

Mine's ink and soft leather. I bought it about 4 years ago when it was in the sale, so was £200 instead of close to three. I wouldn't buy one now, £500 is far too much.

The coating on the joins around the side (where the leather is stitched together) peels off, just to warn you.

TwinkleSparkleBling Wed 26-Feb-14 19:52:04

I have a small one in dark brown. TBH I find it a bit small but I do take 2 sippy cups, a nappy, purse and mobile in itgrin

I find I use my Seth in oak much more as it's bigger. I also use my Daria as a cross body and that's quite roomy. I want an oversize Alexa which I could pack full of junk

thesaurusgirl Wed 26-Feb-14 19:31:42

Another cross-body bag, this time by Michael Kors. Very well designed inside and there are other colours, though NAP only has it in this orange and in black.

www.net-a-porter.com/product/418302

thesaurusgirl Wed 26-Feb-14 19:19:33

Mimi Berry bags are made in Manchester. A girl in the office has one and I covet it daily.

Might this one be a possibility?

www.mimiberry.co.uk/shop/product/peggy-in-tan-rtl

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now