Can I wear this? Or will I look like Judith Chalmers on a cruise??

(32 Posts)
emsyj Wed 19-Feb-14 15:43:04

I am going to a dinner next month - work-related, relatively formal but will not be black tie or require full length gown etc. So I want to get an 'eveningy' dress, but bloody hell I look really frumpy in everything. Plus I have no taste. sad

I have found this dress, which I rather like (I love orange, and it suits me - I think) and was thinking of dressing it up with a statement necklace. There are lots I like on Banana Republic but I don't think I have found quite the right one yet.

So, can I wear this dress with heels (oh yeah, I'd need to buy those too...) and a big necklace, or will I look hopeless and fugly and an idiot? Please be kind...

eurochick Wed 19-Feb-14 15:47:22

I think it's nice and will stand out against the dull business suits the men will presumably be wearing.

I'd wear it with cream heels I think.

lackingimagination Wed 19-Feb-14 15:55:35

I think it's gorgeous and perfect for a 'semi-formal' event. I wish I was brave enough to wear orange. Cream heels would be lovely or you could make a statement with royal blue which I think is a great combination.

emsyj Wed 19-Feb-14 15:55:37

I need to shop for shoes. Not sure I could wear cream heels, I have some nude ones that might do... Maybe? <needs help> <cries>

emsyj Wed 19-Feb-14 15:57:40

Hmmmm royal blue sounds interesting - although DH is in the RNLI and it might feel a bit, errr, nautical?? I like the idea of the contrast tho.

I love orange!

Bunbaker Wed 19-Feb-14 15:59:06

I love it. I wish it was available in other colours. Orange is not my colour at all.

ScentedScandal Wed 19-Feb-14 15:59:38

That's a lovely dress, what a bargain!smile

I'd be looking for some really gorgeous shoes in navy.

bonvivant Wed 19-Feb-14 16:00:14

Yes, I think it's nice

emsyj Wed 19-Feb-14 16:03:06

Would these be hideous with it???

FiveExclamations Wed 19-Feb-14 16:03:37

What about a statement bracelet rather than necklace? Just thinking that the dress is a gorgeous colour and can be left to strut it's stuff unadorned while an oomphy bracelet and clutch combo plus good shoes would adorn the extremities.

I'm not too absolutely sure that I have any taste though grin.

emsyj Wed 19-Feb-14 16:05:43

Bracelet might be a good idea, thanks - I've seen a really nice one that I like. The necklaces I like seem to all be quite 'short' and I think a longer one would be flattering, but the long ones are all too dainty...

eurochick Wed 19-Feb-14 16:11:02

A chunky bracelet could look really good. I think nude heels would look nicer than the Hobbs platforms personally, if you don't like cream. Tan would also work.

Toofattorun Wed 19-Feb-14 16:17:25
Toofattorun Wed 19-Feb-14 16:20:04
emsyj Wed 19-Feb-14 17:45:36

I like that necklace, but I'm not excited about it enough to pay £60 for it. I love this one, but not convinced that the mix of 2 metals goes with the orange. I might buy it anyway for another day...

I also love this but it doesn't really go at all. Gah!

Crutchlow35 Wed 19-Feb-14 17:51:00

I think the neckline is too high for a necklace. I'd go with bangle or bracelet.

emsyj Wed 19-Feb-14 17:55:56

I quite like this if I could get away with a necklace, or this as a bracelet...

Cocolepew Wed 19-Feb-14 17:57:40

I hate statement necklaces, wearing them myself I mean, I think they ruin an outfit. I do like bangles and blingy earrings . But that is my person taste only. Your dress is gorgeous though, really nice.

Allalonenow Wed 19-Feb-14 18:04:56

The dress is fab, don't clutter the neck line with a necklace though, have you got a nice clutch bag?

emsyj Wed 19-Feb-14 18:06:43

sad I said I had no taste or style. I was doing so well picking a dress that was approved by the MN jury as 'nice', now I'm going to fail completely on accessorising! I have ordered the dress, but still no clear direction on shoes and accessories yet. Will see how it looks with my existing nude heels.

emsyj Wed 19-Feb-14 18:07:23

No, I haven't got a nice clutch bag yet - will have to buy one of those too! Need to decide on shoes first I suppose.

Allalonenow Wed 19-Feb-14 18:07:36

Maybe some nice earrings?

FiveExclamations Wed 19-Feb-14 18:08:14

I like the bracelet, with a gold envelope style clutch perhaps?

AndIFeedEmGunpowder Wed 19-Feb-14 18:09:34

Love the dress. Not Judith grin at all.

I like that. No to the Hobbs shoes though. How about shocking pink (if you are braver than I am!)?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now