Dull, grey skin...feeling old :(

(31 Posts)
Blithereens Mon 17-Feb-14 15:56:44

I'm only 32 but my skin is starting to make me look much older. I don't have wrinkles, but my skin is just grey-looking and dull and has dry patches as well as blackheads and the odd spot!

Background: I suffered terrible acne as a teen and young adult, until I was put on RoAccutane. This performed the miracle of ridding me of the spots, but I do still have discolouration scars (not pitting) and my skin still marks very easily if I get the odd zit. It's very sensitive and 'burns' easily if I use harsh chemicals.

At the moment I cleanse with babywipes and moisturise twice a day with Estee Lauder Visible Difference, and exfoliate with St Ives several times a week. I get enough sleep and drink plenty of water. After I came off RoAccutane I had lovely, glowing skin for years, but it's all gone down the pan since I hit 30!!

I feel like the wipes aren't enough, so I'd like recommendations for a gentle but thorough cleanser, maybe with exfoliating properties, and maybe some sort of brightening serum? I've heard good things about Liz Earle and Clinique, any thoughts? When I look in the mirror I feel like I'm in black and white!

MrsCocoa Tue 18-Feb-14 15:17:27

I find Elemis Pro Collagen Cream Cleanser is great when my skin is looking grey and old. India Knight was raving about a (£££) skin reviving mud pack in ST's Style on Sunday.

jhenx Tue 18-Feb-14 16:13:34

Message deleted by MNHQ. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

the pack is about £50 shock

JohnCusacksWife Sat 22-Feb-14 11:33:15

Blithereens, so glad you like the Superdrug cleanser. I'm quite evangelical about it as I really feel its made a real difference to my skin in a short space of time.

Aquelven Sat 22-Feb-14 11:51:41

I would definitely ditch the baby wipes completely & exfoliator too for a while. They are both very harsh. I suspect you think that as you're seeing your face as grey you think it needs scrubbing clean? But I think it needs more gentle treatment to tight itself.
A good creamy cleanser removed with a hot, wet muslin cloth will be more cleansing yet gentle. Try Boots, they do a good range of cleansers in their own brands for all skin types at reasonable prices. I like the No7 balm one or their hot cloth one. Have you thought of a mask? Using a cleansing but gentle mask once a week should help with the greyness.

RonaldMcDonald Sat 22-Feb-14 11:55:04

For all of you going on about blackheads
Please use this
It is an excellent cheap BHA that works to remove blackheads by sorting out the pores.
It's simply brilliant

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now