Will lighter dip-dye effect make my hair bad condition and will wavy relaxed look be achievable with no curling tongs at home?

(11 Posts)
GreenRedBlueYellowPurple Mon 10-Feb-14 00:41:54

Brown dyed hair past shoulders. Thinking of getting a dip dye in a honey colour. Just half of the length of the hair. To do my roots though, will this work ok? Has anyone done it? Have been wearing hair straight for a long time with straighteners etc and hairdresser says she can give me a couple of layers and this will facilitate a wavy look for a change of style to go with the nice dip dye. Will I look a mess?!?! I did want to go naturally wavy and maybe use curlers for effect if I have a night out but now have a date on Valentines night and it's all so soon to get the new style & colour this week... I'm chickening out. She's a fab stylist so I know she'd do a good job but I don't really know if I even want it. Will streaks & layers look bad if I want it straight some days? Thanks for input!!! :-D

GreenRedBlueYellowPurple Mon 10-Feb-14 00:43:56

Oh the rest of the title got cut off:

Will the wavy relaxed look be achievable with no curlers. I haven't invested in these yet!! I know what you're thinking: go on Friday before my date! I might!!

theplanets Mon 10-Feb-14 00:50:51

When you say 'to do my roots', what do you mean? And I quite like the idea of a dip dye - you seem brave to do, not been brave enough to do myself but seems funky.

I don't know your hair type in person but in terms of 'naturally wavy' look without curlers, doesn't that depend mainly on your hair type> will your hair be naturally wavy if you don't do anything to it? What's is like naturally?

I dread haircuts because it's hard to get what I would like though I know I need to compromise (I don't like harsh layers or a 'rat-like' hair style as I have thick and coarse hair).

Great to hear your have a date for Valentines - that's more than me! I know it's a dilemma isn't it, wanting something new but then not incase it doesn't work out for the date. smile

GreenRedBlueYellowPurple Mon 10-Feb-14 00:59:58

Well my hair is coloured natural brown because I have a few grey hairs that are never noticeable to anyone apart from me but which I colour every 4 weeks! :-)

GreenRedBlueYellowPurple Mon 10-Feb-14 01:01:08

My hair is thick and naturally wavy. Not curly.

GreenRedBlueYellowPurple Mon 10-Feb-14 01:04:21

So yeah I'm thinking I'll have to do my roots every 4 weeks and...

Does anyone know if I can dye over the dip dye easily if I don't like it or will it take a few dyes?

Maybe I should just get dip dye on underneath layers?

theplanets Mon 10-Feb-14 01:09:11

Ah, do you mean when you touch up your roots, will it affect the dip dye portion?

You're lucky being able to do root touch-up. I have some random hairs that turn grey. Do you do roots at home?

If you hair's naturally wavy, I don't see why it won't still be with a new haircut [Smile].

Sorry can't help much with your other Qs, hopefully someone with more experience will be along.

GreenRedBlueYellowPurple Mon 10-Feb-14 01:14:44

Thanks Planet. Well I just don't know how to DO wavy hair. And I'm worried that without curlers to give it ooomph, that it will just look flat & boring?!

GreenRedBlueYellowPurple Mon 10-Feb-14 01:17:55

Yeah I do my roots at home and that means usually I do whole head so do I just brush it down to the dip dye? How the heck would this work? Especially around the back? My hair is thick so I usually avoid brushing any dye at all.

Will the blondiness make my hair frizzy?

My hair is dry.

Maybe I should just get the wavy layers this week and the colour another time so as not to shock myself ( and my date) too much?! :-)

claudeekishi Mon 10-Feb-14 10:56:30

Yes, the blondiness will make your hair frizzy, I'm afraid. I home-ombred this week with a L'Oreal kit. I like the look of the result (only left the solution on for 10 mins because I wanted to make it really subtle), but my ends were so dry after that I had to snip about an inch and a half off.

I too have a few greys. Ijust do my roots as usual with a medium brown colour at home.

claudeekishi Mon 10-Feb-14 10:57:17

Coconut oil has helped combat the dryness a little bit, I should add.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now