job interview

(26 Posts)
brokenhearted55a Sun 09-Feb-14 19:19:16
bakeroony Sun 09-Feb-14 19:22:12

Looks a bit short if you have legs as long as the model grin

My rule is nothing shorter than just above the knee.

How formal is the dress code for the place of work? Take that as a measure then go one above. I'd always recommend a jacket as well - it's Winter, you may as well!

MrsLettuce Sun 09-Feb-14 19:22:54

I fear not - it looks a bit too much like a 'French Maid' sex outfit TBH. Sorry to be so frank!

I'm sure we could find you something suitable for a similar budget though.

bakeroony Sun 09-Feb-14 19:26:10

Haha, does the "buy these items together!" come up with Myleene Klass in underwear alongside a black Ted Baker bag for anyone else?

Feel like they're missing an item or two there...

deelite72 Sun 09-Feb-14 19:28:22

No and no and no again. Think French Chic, not French Maid when dressing for an interview.

MrsLettuce Sun 09-Feb-14 19:30:35

this could be worn with or without a jacket

Lottiedoubtie Sun 09-Feb-14 19:32:12

No. Far too short and sleeveless? Neither ok for a Job interview.

tethersend Sun 09-Feb-14 19:36:41

this with a black blazer might work as an alternative, but I'd still be concerned its not quite smart enough.

What's the job?

DurhamDurham Sun 09-Feb-14 19:42:04

I'm all for wearing a dress to an interview as I think they can look very smart however this one is trying to be vintage and fails.it is not smart enough for a formal interview even if worn with thick tights and smart shoes.

brokenhearted55a Sun 09-Feb-14 19:42:37

The model is much taller than me. It is knee length on me. Its also loose on me.

I have a black jacket I can wear with it.

I don't think it's right sorry. You want plain and professional not winsome.

PoshPaula Sun 09-Feb-14 19:50:13

oh my goodness, no.

Hopefully Sun 09-Feb-14 19:54:33

Definitely not. And YY to wearing a jacket, whatever dress you end up with. No one ever complained that someone looked too professional at a job interview (assuming you are not going for a job as eg a nursery nurse and will need to play with kids!)

brokenhearted55a Sun 09-Feb-14 19:57:15

Ok. I feel a bit sad about my new dress now. I got it for christmas and haven't worn it.

I'll wear one of my suits.

does everyone really hate it that much or just in context of an interview.

tethersend Sun 09-Feb-14 20:21:19

Oh no, it's a nice dress- just not for interview.

Fine for work- I assume, as I still don't know what sort of job you're going for wink

brokenhearted55a Sun 09-Feb-14 20:23:18

Im a solicitor.

but my current office is very laid back. I would look ridiculously smart if I went in dressed like that to my current office.

Fairly sure it's a no to the dress and definitely no, no, no to dress with no jacket! If the dress is knee length and demure looking with a jacket then maybe, providing you didn't take the jacket off. Can you post a pic?

brokenhearted55a Sun 09-Feb-14 20:28:52

When I said no jacket I meant black bolero type thing instead. I would never have bare arms. It looks alot more demure on me as its knee length and I would wear black tights.

I feel like burning the dress now sad

My suits are a bit old but I will wear one.

Funnyfoot Sun 09-Feb-14 20:30:34

I think its a stunning dress.

Saying that if I was interviewing you and you turned up wearing it I am sorry to say that I probably would just be thinking all the way through that it's not very appropriate for an interview.

brokenhearted55a Sun 09-Feb-14 20:34:59

Cool. I shall wear a suit and get a nice new top. Thanks.

Funnyfoot Sun 09-Feb-14 20:40:14

Forgot to say Good luck on the interview grin

Crazedpinkstarfish Sun 09-Feb-14 20:43:33

I work in Recruitment (previously legal recruitment) and would say always wear either a trouser suit or a knee length dress with a smart blazer or cardigan. Some solicitors are very old fashioned and can put a lot of emphasis on being smart. Always better to be over dressed than under.

Stunning dress for evening wear though!

Crazedpinkstarfish Sun 09-Feb-14 20:43:48

Oh and good luck!

brokenhearted55a Sun 09-Feb-14 21:17:04

Thank you.

I will let you know how it goes.

tethersend Sun 09-Feb-14 21:17:05

Not sure what size you are, but this would work really well with a black bolero or jacket.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now