I've accidentally stumbled on a cure for frizzy hair. Hope it works for you too.

(12 Posts)
Frizzbonce Sun 09-Feb-14 17:24:07

I've had long, thicky wavy hair since I was a child which turns into a frizz bonnet, as soon as I hit damp weather. I've been sold endless products that 'cure' it. Nothing worked.

Three months ago I had the keratin treatment and it worked beautifully. But like everyone else I was told to avoid any hair products with parabems or sulfates, so I've been using DGJ organics for hangover hair. Daft name but I like the smell of lavender and only shampoo my hair once. I sometimes add wine vinegar to the final rinse. I also use a parabem free deep conditioner every few weeks. My point is that the keratin treatment must have worn off by now but my hair is still frizz free. I can let it dry naturally and it looks wavy but with all the frizz gone. Or I spend ten minutes with my Babyliss brush to give it that just blowdried look which lasts through rain and damp. In my case it was all those poxy parabems and sulfates.

Swish swish!grin

fivefoottwowitheyesofblue Sun 09-Feb-14 17:28:20

Ooo thanks! Willing to try anything :-)

Frizzbonce Sun 09-Feb-14 22:27:57

Hope it works for you fivefoot x

madmomma Mon 10-Feb-14 08:09:03

Thanks frizz my daughter battles enormous frizz - where do you get the products from please?

Frizzbonce Mon 10-Feb-14 10:16:52

madmomma DGJ (Daniel Galvin Organics) - I get from Waitrose. I use the Lavender shampoo and conditioner but I've heard good things about Organix as well and I think the Naked range from Boots are sulfate and parabem free and not expensive. Basically if the product is free from sulfates and parabems it will announce it on the bottle.

Kiss My Face and WEN are also Vegan products - free of sulfates/parabems. Available from Amazon. DevaCurl are also very good for curly hair.

What I do is comb my hair through - wash it once - use half a cup of white vinegar in warm water in the finale rinse (sometimes) and then condition. I also use a few drops of Argan oil on the ends. I don't rub my hair dry but squeeze it gently, and when I want more curls instead of a sleeker look, I add more conditioner (but my hair tends to be dry) and comb it through before leaving it to dry into curls.

Good luck!

LesserOfTwoWeevils Mon 10-Feb-14 11:12:30

Google the Curly Girl method....that's what you've accidentally discovered.

Frizzbonce Mon 10-Feb-14 11:32:19

Lesser I take your point but I still use shampoo - only it's a sulfate/parabem free one. I did try the no-poo method but it didn't work for me.

I did find that when I lived in the country, my hair didn't get as dirty though. But now I live slap bang in the middle of London . . . .

madmomma Mon 10-Feb-14 11:55:31

thanks frizz x

Frizzbonce Mon 10-Feb-14 16:47:36

Not any more! I'm thinking of nc to Swishbonce!

BeginnerSAHM Mon 10-Feb-14 16:51:02

Coincidentally, I'm trying something similar. You can shampoo with the curly girl method - as long as it's sulphate free.... Fingers crossed it works! (Don't shampoo more than every 3/4 days I think though...)

Frizzbonce Tue 11-Feb-14 11:12:34

Beginner - ah well in that case I am Curlygirling. But I like the freedom to have swishy hair as well- or just hair that doesn't go Brillo on me. Honestly - all those products out there claiming to solve your hair problems and they contain the very stuff that causes the frizz in the first place. Grrrrr.

TheRaniOfYawn Tue 11-Feb-14 12:42:19

I think shampooing at least once a week tends to be the preferred curlygirl variation for people with wsves rather than curls.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now