No conditioner - wow

(39 Posts)
Bluebell79 Sun 09-Feb-14 09:17:05

Yesterday I washed my hair without conditioner, left it all shiney and bouncy, had no trouble getting a comb through. This morning my hair looks just as good, normally it would look a little greasy. Why do we need conditioner?

Was looking back through photos and 10 yrs ago my hair looked good and I remembered I only used baby shampoo and let it air dry, the hair dye didn't fade as quick as I didn't wash it as often.

SanityClause Sun 09-Feb-14 09:19:52

If I didn't use conditioner, my hair would be all static-y.

Hulababy Sun 09-Feb-14 09:23:59

I've tried no conditioner but my hair is always really tangled and full of static without.

hootloop Sun 09-Feb-14 09:29:47

I haven't used conditioner for years, I don't need it for my hair.

burnishedsilver Sun 09-Feb-14 09:39:47

Mine would be like straw without it.

SirChenjin Sun 09-Feb-14 09:43:22

Mine would be like a birds nest without it - seriously. I have tried, it wasn't pretty...

JoanRanger Sun 09-Feb-14 09:49:43

I think baby shampoos are pretty oily even without conditioner. I used to use them till a hairdresser scraped the blunt side of a scissor blade along my hair and showed me the goo that came off... But conditioner is only a form a goo, so why not? Whatever makes hair nice.

GiniCooper Sun 09-Feb-14 09:51:11

I don't use conditioner ever.

Custardo Sun 09-Feb-14 09:51:24

cant get a brush through mine without it - its like straw

itsbetterthanabox Sun 09-Feb-14 10:14:54

It depends on your hair type. I have coarse, thick dry hair so need conditioner to smooth it down. But fine hair is smooth on it's own!

LittleYellowDuck Sun 09-Feb-14 10:23:16

I wouldn't be able to brush mine if I didn't use conditioner
I only use it on my lengths and ends though

TallulahBetty Sun 09-Feb-14 10:29:49

If I didn't use conditioner, I wouldn't be able to comb my hair out. I only use it on the end third of my hair though.

CallingAllEngels Sun 09-Feb-14 10:34:33

I use a cream conditioner once a week. The rest of the time, I use a spray (Aussie leave in) which doesn't leave residue.

TheGirlFromIpanema Sun 09-Feb-14 10:36:30

I've started to use a two-in-one thanks to MN which I've always avoided before.

My hair takes longer now before it is noticeably greasy looking but I have noticed it gets static-y sometimes.
I'm sure there is a product somewhere that can sort that out and replace the conditioner in my list of must haves grin

Hair is much easier to style though (very thin & straight) and holds much longer too!

Ohwhatfuckeryisthis Sun 09-Feb-14 10:39:07

Cos I have flyaway witch hair otherwise. Maybe using wrong sort/too much op?

TulipOHare Sun 09-Feb-14 11:21:58

I tried going without conditioner. It wasn't pretty.

I now use it every time, but only a bit and only from ear-level down.

basia2 Sun 09-Feb-14 14:02:10

When I use a good moisturizing shampoo, I don't need conditioner; I've found in that when I skip conditioner, I can go longer between washings... three or four days, as opposed to everything day or every other day, which is always convenient when you're a busy mom.

whatshallwedo Sun 09-Feb-14 16:26:11

I've started to use Aldi's cheap shampoo and no conditioner and have found that my hair takes less time to dry and doesn't get as greasy.

I used a 'posher' shampoo and Aussie conditioner yesterday and my hair felt disgusting this morning, really greasy.

Bluebell79 Sun 09-Feb-14 17:18:53

I guess it is down to hair type, although I dye my hair it's not dry or damaged, I rarely use a hair dryer or straightners. I have a big collection of all sorts of brands, I get static hair when I use conditoner. I will wash like this a few more times and report back.

Spookey80 Sun 09-Feb-14 18:11:25

Although I do use conditioner I have totally changed my routine the last few weeks after reading something this and I have seen an improvement in my hair.
I used to use lots of conditioner, but have quite straightish hair and my hair would look quite mumsy.
I now use a small amount of shampoo and then a tiny amount of conditioner mainly on the ends, I then don't brush my hair but run my fingers through it whilst drying it. My hair looks in much better condition and I'm buying shampoo/conditioner a lot less.

Deathwatchbeetle Sun 09-Feb-14 18:48:45

I have to use it despite having an oily scalp or the ends and sides end up crispy. Mind you it is such a faff that i now buy one of those all in one shampoos. I bought the vosene 3 in 1 for kids (only vosene one they had in the shop) when I get it home the 3 consists of shampoo, conditioner and anti nit stuff!!!!!

Weelady77 Sun 09-Feb-14 18:52:19

I have to condition or I'd never get the tangles out!

BitsinTatters Sun 09-Feb-14 18:54:52

I don't use conditioner instead use morroccan oil stuff you put in damp hair

Loves it

Weelady77 Sun 09-Feb-14 19:01:51

Oh I've got some morrocan oil that hasn't been used, can it be used on all hair types?

Ledkr Sun 09-Feb-14 19:06:37

Even in the shower after shampooing i can feel my hair is matted so needs conditioner. It's bleached so would be a massive haystack if no conditioner.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now