Bra help please - my new bras hurt :(

(39 Posts)
LeonieDeSainteVire Fri 07-Feb-14 08:29:35

So I read all the bra threads, measured myself at home, went to local posh lingerie shop, got remeasured but their bras were all ££££ so went to John Lewis, remeasured again and ending up with a pile of 30DD bras (I had been a 32B).

The bras felt fabulous in the shop but by the end of the first day the underwriting between my breasts really dug in and was so painful. Tried a different bra but it was just the same. When I looked at them I realised they are all the same style.

So do I stick with it and hope they soften up/I get used to it or take the unworn two back and start again. Basically is it just that I'm not used to the new size or is it actually a bad fit confused

dingit Fri 07-Feb-14 08:31:09

I would take them back. A painful bra is as bad as painful shoes.

GreenRedBlueYellowPurple Fri 07-Feb-14 08:37:54

This happened to me too! I spent more than ever before on a Calvin Klein bra and it's my most uncomfortable! I prefer the one I got in the Debenhams sale for £4!!!

noddyholder Fri 07-Feb-14 08:46:12

It gave me heartburn Am happier and less barmaid looking too

HazleNutt Fri 07-Feb-14 09:03:34

I get this problem with pretty much all Panache bras, especially full cups. if yours are all the same style then yes I would try a different one where wires don't come up so high.

LeonieDeSainteVire Fri 07-Feb-14 09:15:31

Bother, I suppose I was hoping everyone would say 'they'll soften up with wear, it'll be fine'. Looks like (yet) another bra shopping trip is in order sad

MirandaWest Fri 07-Feb-14 09:16:13

It could be the style of bra rather than the size.

SorrelForbes Fri 07-Feb-14 09:17:43

What are your measurements? Which bras did you buy? If you put them on back to front, how far can you stretch the band?

LeonieDeSainteVire Fri 07-Feb-14 09:19:15

this is the style, but in the flesh the wires come up higher and narrower in the middle.

I think it is the style, the fit looks and feels great (at first!).

ratqueen Fri 07-Feb-14 09:21:31

have you tried royce online? there is a fitting thing where you put your measurements on and really helpful people if you ring up. I haven't seen the other advice you got but they do lovely (and comfy) bras.

LeonieDeSainteVire Fri 07-Feb-14 09:23:58

I can't remember exact measurements but I think 29inches under and 33 on bust, maybe half an inch more on both (can't check, am about to take DS out to play at friends).

I've never put bras on back to front but done up the right way I can yank out the band about an inch, have to pull though, it fits pretty closely.

SorrelForbes Fri 07-Feb-14 09:24:18

Sorry, that link doesn't work for me (my PC I'm sure!). Can you tell me the name?

piratecat Fri 07-Feb-14 09:26:55

do you deffo have this plunge version, or is there a full cup version. in a full cup the wires would come up alot higher.

take them back op.

Back to front will tell you whether the band measurement is right.
Are they actually digging in in one place, or just tight all over?

piratecat Fri 07-Feb-14 09:29:43

have to say it doesn't look like a very supportive bra for a dd cup either.

SorrelForbes Fri 07-Feb-14 09:30:56

Which bra is it <wishes I could see!>

SorrelForbes Fri 07-Feb-14 09:31:51

IME plunges can be uncomfortable after a while.

MirandaWest Fri 07-Feb-14 09:31:51

It's s john lewis one called Genevieve plunge bra

SorrelForbes Fri 07-Feb-14 09:37:10

Thanks MirandaWest

Ok, that bra looks a bit insubstantial to me! I have limited experience of the JL own brand, but personally I think it's best to stick to proper, known brands when making a drastic change in size. BTW, that bra doesn't fit that model on the JL website.

If that's the type of bra you like, I would recommend trying the Lepel Fiore half cup and padded plunge styles.

Some brands, Panache springs to mind, are very stiff and firm. I often have to gently bend the wires into more of a 'body' shape.

LeonieDeSainteVire Fri 07-Feb-14 17:13:09

Sorry, I didn't intend to abandon this thread, RL got in the way. Thanks for all the responses.

Sorrel that looks insubstantial shock it looks vast to me, twice the size of anything I've ever worn except nursing bras! I have to say it looks entirely different on me than on that model (and how can you tell it doesn't fit the model?)

I don't like that style particularly, it's just what the fitting woman in JL gave me, in fact I don't care about style (though I tend to go for moulded cups as nothing else has ever fitted but maybe that's the sizing not the bras) I just want something comfy and supportive sad

Are there any other brands that I might try - I've never had any bras other than own brand so wouldn't know where to begin. I'm nervous online as so few bras seem to fit me, I'm think I'm a funny shape.

Oh and I checked my measurements. I think 29 under and 34 over but it's so hard to measure yourself it's hard to know and IME in shops they always want to measure you over your clothes which seems a bit pointless, I suppose it's for modesty but I am past the age/stage of caring!

Given those measurements it's almost certainly a style issue. I'd suggest ordering a few from somewhere with free returns abd giving them a long try on at home. Brastop is good. Sometimes you just can't tell if something is going to niggle based on a minute in the changing room

LeonieDeSainteVire Fri 07-Feb-14 18:19:15

Are any styles likely to be more/less comfortable (I realise that's rather difficult to predict over the Internet!)

SorrelForbes Fri 07-Feb-14 18:33:51

Curvy Kate are very stretchy and comfortable. I find Cleos (made by Panache) to be comfy too but quite firm. Freya and Fantasie are softer than Panache too.

Have you got a Bravissimo near you? That would be your best bet as the fitters there are very experienced and used to all shapes and sizes. Correct size bras probably do seem big to you because you're used to wearing something (and seeing pictures of models and celebs) that's much too small in the cup and doesn't cover all the breast tissue.

(The bra in the JL pic is too small. The wires stop half way round her breast rather than by her arm pit and therefore the cups aren't containing the bulges by her armpit which are breast tissue.)

LeonieDeSainteVire Fri 07-Feb-14 19:42:07

Thanks, I'll check those out. There is a Bravissimo near me but I thought it was for (ahem) larger ladies? I really have very little in the boob department.

SorrelForbes Fri 07-Feb-14 19:43:13

Bravissimo stock from a 28D so you're definitely be in their range. Go, you won't be disappointed!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now