Hooray! I have a PGCE place so help me with my teacher's wardrobe!

(62 Posts)
TheAwfulDaughter Wed 05-Feb-14 12:02:44

I got my PGCE place yesterday, so in order to take my mind off impending skills test hell I thought I would look at one of the positive of it- a need to buy more clothes! This is Primary, by the way.

I volunteer in a school at the moment, and it's a sea of bootcut black trousers and bright cardigans. Very practical, but not me grin

I will be working one weekend day a week, and the rest of my time will be spent doing uni and placement work- so the majority of my social life will be conducted in the evenings once the day is over. I want a wardrobe where I could go straight out after the day for dinner and drinks with just a change of shoes and some statement jewellery. I'm thinking tube skirts, cashmere sweaters, lovely cropped (high waisted bottoms on so no belly out), soft midi dresses and a really smart coat. Perhaps some nice cigarette trousers too even though I have short chunky toddler legs.

My budget is about £600 to build a school capsule wardrobe, would perhaps go over that for a more decent coat. I also have a 40 minute commute on public transport so want comfortable things, nothing too structured.

Also any backpack recommendations? I have a smart bag that fits a laptop and a file, but want a nice backpack for if I need to take workbooks home. I like the look of the Mi Pac black croc.

Thank you flowers

dottyaboutstripes Wed 05-Feb-14 12:06:52

When you say primary, do you mean KS2? I'm asking because my dd is at uni doing Primary Education and she has said many times that wearing nice clothes is not a good idea when in KS1 classes as she's forever crouching, kneeling etc, getting busy with glue, paint etc!

dottyaboutstripes Wed 05-Feb-14 12:07:10

BTW - congrats smile

TheAwfulDaughter Wed 05-Feb-14 12:12:56

Yy to the risk of mucky clothes, I get pretty glittery ever week as a TA!

I am doing upper primary though. Less muck and kneeling in Years 5/6. One of my mentors at my current school is Year 6 and looks really smart each day (pencil skirts and blazers) but dresses down if it's Art or they are making something in history! I will do something similar.

Cheap cardis and tees and jersey things will be accounted for in the budget don't worry! smile

Pinter Wed 05-Feb-14 12:14:52

Usual teaching rules apply I guess: if you can see down it, up it or through it, don't wear it!

TheAwfulDaughter Wed 05-Feb-14 12:18:42

I gathered that Pinter, I'll be dressing for practicality- not the school dads grin I would like to look nice though.

I'm a student at the moment but slob around in Nikes and wear an awful lot of crop tops and bodycon dresses for clubbing, so I'm hoping that someone could point me where to go and have a look for clothes as usually it's just Topshop and ASOS!

NowRising Wed 05-Feb-14 12:44:41

Congratulations!

And good luck if you think you'll have the energy or time to go out straight after work.

Your wardrobe sounds lovely but I am not sure how you'll manage in tube skirts. I'd not dare wear a cashmere sweater to school.

Sorry, not a very helpful post but I admire your enthusiasm.

rollonthesummer Wed 05-Feb-14 12:45:57

Blimey-I wish I'd had a wardrobe budget of £600 and money for cashmere sweaters when I did my PGCE!

There's a good thread on The Staffroom board that I posted on yesterday where people are saying what sort of things they wear in Primary; you might find that useful? I tend to be pretty casual-Fat Face/White Stuff skirts/dresses or trousers/jumpers.

NaffOrf Wed 05-Feb-14 12:49:47

I want a wardrobe where I could go straight out after the day for dinner and drinks with just a change of shoes and some statement jewellery.

Fucking hell, OP, your placement school won't know what's hit it!

Seriously? Dinner and drinks? I don't want to piss on your bonfire, but you do know about the PGCE workload don't you?

Fletcherl Wed 05-Feb-14 13:04:15

My best friend is a EY teacher. She buys things wears them outside school for a season or two and them moves them to school clothes after that. She couldn't wear them out after school as they have a snail trail around them where the children touch her or tables and chairs rub against her.
She buys at TU and DP quite a bit. Layers seem to be the way to go as the classroom is warm on the other hand she has to go out for break, assembly, to meet on the playground, for PE and so on. She also keeps a smarter cardi/jacket and smart scarf on hand is she needs to look smarter.
Her latest outfit is a wearhouse black and lime green tunic top. She wears it with black trousers or smart jeggings. The a lime green scarf, black cardi or zip up. Her coat is a mobile sleeping bag puffy thing!
Hope that helps.

rollonthesummer Wed 05-Feb-14 13:07:43

Fucking hell, OP, your placement school won't know what's hit it!Seriously? Dinner and drinks? I don't want to piss on your bonfire, but you do know about the PGCE workload don't you?

He he-I can't remember the last time I went out for dinner or drinks straight from school! I think it was in 2003!

Whats tragic is the PGCE and NQT workload seem nothing compared to the year after that-you lose that NQT time and things get much harder sad

Sleepyhead33 Wed 05-Feb-14 13:10:54

I love that you think you'll be off out for dinner and drinks after work! In 12 years I have rarely managed this! Planning and marking EVERY evening I'm afraid, particularly on your PCGE year when everything takes so much longer.

Sorry, not trying to be patronising and I know you have asked for style advice-that comment just jumped out at mesmile

Good luck and hope you do manage a few nights out during the week-if you do-please feedback and let us all know how you managed it! smile

TrollopeDollope Wed 05-Feb-14 14:34:00

Sorry ,but I also think you will have other things to worry about than having an outfit that you can easily alter for going out in the evening. Our (secondary) PGCE interns at this point in the year are all ashen, knackered and shivering in our cold school.
And cashmere? <Mind boggles>
Our local primary appear to have a (female) regulation uniform of leggings and tunic tops for KS1 and the occasional skirt worn in KS2

rollonthesummer Wed 05-Feb-14 14:37:54

so the majority of my social life

Social what? What is this thing that you speak of?

TheAwfulDaughter Wed 05-Feb-14 14:43:16

Somehow I knew that was coming. Thanks to people who were helpful, I have been looking at DP. Lots of nice layering stuff so thanks to whoever suggested that smile

And I honesty don't believe that on your PGCE year you all did nothing but just work solidly from morning until midnight. I will have a lot of planning to do, as well as academic work- but I think I will be able to do grab a glass of wine or go for a meal after I get out of placement at 6pm. I function at work and uni on about 5 hours sleep, always have. Work solidly on late evenings and weekends and I will have the time a bit of a social life. -waits for people to come back to say they didn't speak to a single person on their PGCE year- wink

Okay, maybe no cashmere. I will accept that!

TheAwfulDaughter Wed 05-Feb-14 14:48:50

Leggings and tunic tops!? Fine smile tell me where I can get some nice ones! This is S&B, not the staffroom where we debate workloads!

And yeah, I have a million other things to worry about. A nice jumper that would be okay for work AND a bar is pretty low down my list of priorities. But if we all soley posted about the important things MN would be boring.

NOW, does anyone please want to help me? I have been saving money and want some places to look for a stylish teacher uniform and a nice coat?

TheAwfulDaughter Wed 05-Feb-14 14:52:45

Oh, and just to prevent further flamings: I won't be going out every night. If that wasn't obvious. Perhaps once or twice a week. For a couple of hours. grin

rollonthesummer Wed 05-Feb-14 14:55:58

Seriously-there was a post yesterday about what teachers wear on the Staffroom forum; have you looked?

I get my leggings from Wallis-they are very comfortable. I tend to get tops/tunics and dresses from Top Shop/Next/Fat Face/White Stuff/New Look/Joe Browns. I have 4 pairs of boots in black, tan, brown and purple which I wear a lot at work. I have a Trespass down coat which I wear for playground duty days and a blue Next jacket for when it's not too cold.

MissMilbanke Wed 05-Feb-14 14:58:01

Well done you how exciting !

I'm not a teacher but all the young stylish ones wear leggins, dark tights boots, layer, and cardigans and accessorised with lovely scarves or chunky statement jewellery.

The older ones tend to be awash with Boden.

Daughter I will declare an interest as am an HoC consultant, but if you use some of those savings to get your colours done, you will end up with a very hard working capsule wardrobe where everything goes with everything else.

I think flat boots, thick tights and A-line skirts is a smart and practical look. With uniqlo merino on top (cheap, smart, lots of lovely colours).

NowRising Wed 05-Feb-14 15:01:15

Remember, you'll need a PE kit too.

TheAwfulDaughter Wed 05-Feb-14 15:06:03

Thanks ladies flowers

I will check out that staffroom thread!

brokenpurpleheart Wed 05-Feb-14 15:14:35

No to cashmere or a tube skirt. Both totally impractical.

rollonthesummer Wed 05-Feb-14 15:18:01

When do you start, OP?

homeaway Wed 05-Feb-14 15:31:35

Have a look at me and em sale they have some nice things and they wear well. I think your cashmere jumper could go in your bag for when you go out to dinner smile. The things are expensive but they are really good quality. There was another thread on here about what people had bought in February which had some nice links.
Thinking back to my kids early years the teachers were all smart but just wore things that could easily be washed. I think that is the key.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now