The Crepey Cube

(1000 Posts)
cremolafoam Tue 04-Feb-14 20:26:16

wine

bigTillyMint Wed 05-Feb-14 11:08:02

I went off Martini and Cinzano too - it was our idea of being sophisticated in the pub aged 15/16!

lalsy Wed 05-Feb-14 11:11:56

I love gin martini. But back in the day was a pint of bitter girl, with silly cocktail with parasol in for special occasions.

I got the giggles this morning at a thread saying "Solva or Fishguard?" - someone posted saying phew I thought this was a baby names question.smile

MrsSchadenfreude Wed 05-Feb-14 11:22:25

A nice glass of Gin & It as an aperitif? Don't mind if I do. grin

Drinks from childhood - we only really got alcohol in at Christmas, so a big tin of Watney's Party Seven, a half bottle of MacFisheries own brand scotch, decanted into a full sized bottle of Teacher's so that we wouldn't look poor. Tinned pineapple juice. Tinned orange juice (both for Auntie June who didn't drink). Martini (red and white, white for Auntie June who sometimes did have a drink "although I really shouldn't"). A nice bottle of Liebfraumilch. Uncle Eric used to bring a couple of bottles of Black Tower or Blue Nun because he was sophisticated and worked in Soho. No French wine. No red wine. But if the Hungarian contingent were coming for Christmas, we usually had a few bottles of Bull's Blood. And a bottle of Fundador brandy, left over from the two weeks in the Costa del Sol.

cremolafoam Wed 05-Feb-14 11:22:59

grin @ lalsy.

MrsSchadenfreude Wed 05-Feb-14 11:24:53

Rudy - re Paris, I always took visitors to the passages and often to the Marche St Pierre, which is where all the material is sold, then for lunch at the Bar No Problemo and a gentle stroll up the hill to Montmartre. I also took MI to my favourite restaurant. I love the Ile St Louis too.

herbaceous Wed 05-Feb-14 12:20:57

I think my tipples would vary enormously. Vodka and lime (cordial) or orange (cordial or juice), bacardi and coke, 'snake and black' (snakebite with blackcurrant), vodka and lemonade, Southern Comfort, lager and lime, black velvet (guiness and special brew) - this was a particular favourite before clubbing, as you were half cut before you even got to the club.

bigTillyMint Wed 05-Feb-14 12:31:45

MrsS, my father got the Watneys when his mates came round (don't think he got out his scotch!), and I remember the tinned juices!

Herbs, my mate and I drank V&O in the pub when we were going clubbing!

motherinferior Wed 05-Feb-14 12:34:15

My parents were middle class and allegedly cosmopolitan so much Sainsbury's Rioja was consumed.

Inspired by this thread I may also purchase green olives for said martini.

Blackduck Wed 05-Feb-14 12:57:11

MrsS - Bulls Blood! Another blast from the past! Can't count the number of bottles of that I consumed......

And the Roddy Doyle comment 'blue or black?' (Blue Nun or Black Tower)......

NUFC69 Wed 05-Feb-14 13:00:31

I have been puzzling all morning about the sophisticated wine we used to buy in a sort of round bottle. Have just remembered that it was Mateus Rose. Can you still buy it I wonder?

Big problem of the day is where to go for a holiday in May (DD goes back to work after ML in June). Last April when I was on the big diet we decided to stay in UK and went to north Devon - the weather was dire, but evidently nice in the NE. sad Any suggestions welcome as I can see an argument looming with DH. We're not really looking for a beach type holiday but I am open to anything. We both quite fancied going to Canada and doing a rail trip but the cost is prohibitive when we know we're going to California in the autumn.

RudyMentary Wed 05-Feb-14 13:01:13

Thanks MrsS - is your favourite restaurant the one you linked to before? I hope to go there one evening but I've been over-ruled for the Saturday night.

CointreauVersial Wed 05-Feb-14 13:03:39

I love Cointreau (well, obv, just check out me name, innit).

And I had a Snowball on Burns Night - we all had one - served in a retro cocktail saucer with a maraschino cherry on a stick. Mmmm.

My drink of choice throughout much of my time at university? Lime and soda. blush A bargain, at 10p; I could make one last all night. I only started to like beer when I spent the summer in the US after my third year.

Told you I was square OK, OK, so I turned into a total lush in my later years

RudyMentary Wed 05-Feb-14 13:05:06

NUFC - Umbria, Italy would be my recommendation. We went in 2012 and want to I back this year. We went to California las year.

I'm just on my way to the tip having had a clear-up in Steptoes Yard the garden.

bigTillyMint Wed 05-Feb-14 13:06:09

Oh yes, I remember the Mateus Rose in the cupboard. I think you can still get it!

NU, DH was thinking about Croatia or MonteNegro in the summer (friends have been and loved them), but the DC vetoed them as we are going to Prague and Budapest at Easter!

Blackduck Wed 05-Feb-14 13:18:01

Mateuas Rose is still big in Germany (was one of the first wines I ever had as my dad was stationed out there...) - went to Munich a couple of years ago and there it was!

motherinferior Wed 05-Feb-14 13:23:17

I have just googled and it appears to be available at a wide variety of supermarket outlets...

I am wodging words onto the page.

QueenQueenie Wed 05-Feb-14 13:24:56

Bloody hell, you lot are making me feel queasy just reading this thread. The very thought of cinzano rose <boak> make me shudder after a drunken swimming pool party in my teens that is forever imprinted on my memory.... ditto grappa.
Am a complete lightweight these days. Dh has been a very good influence on me as he drinks very little and just looks puzzled and a bit sad at the idea that being drunk might be fun.

motherinferior Wed 05-Feb-14 13:27:43

DP gave up drink completely about 18 months ago.

QueenQueenie Wed 05-Feb-14 13:27:44

what exactly does wodging mean MI?!

motherinferior Wed 05-Feb-14 13:35:05

It means a cross between wedging and shoving, really. So far I have put together lots of sections, with the notes to be written up into each one with a max of 200 words per section in order to meet word length. Now I must write a couple...

herbaceous Wed 05-Feb-14 13:37:52

Brandy and babycham was a bit of a favourite when 'celebrating'. When you weren't on the Pomagne, natch.

Did another ladystagger this morning, squeezing it in before the rains. Oddly find the first two jogging sections harder than the later ones. Could barely finish the first 90 seconds, but the last one I could have carried on... Then went to NCT pal's house for regular meet up, and had sausage and fried egg rolls. MMMMMMMMMMM. And a fairy cake.

motherinferior Wed 05-Feb-14 13:45:22

I really want to title a feature on exercise in pregnancy 'run, fat girl, run'...but I can't.

QueenQueenie Wed 05-Feb-14 13:49:08

or maybe "weebles wobble but they don't fall down?"

NUFC69 Wed 05-Feb-14 14:03:28

Croatia was one of the llaces we were thinking about, BMT. After poo-pooing Sri Lanka yesterday now DH thinks he might quite like it.

Rudy, our last trip to Italy was not a huge success - we went on a package to Lake Garda; was appalled at Verona at graffiti and also plastic seats for the opera despoiling the coliseum. Where were you in California? We started off in San Francisco, went to Santa Rosa and then Lake Tahoe. We came back from Phoenix. Can't wait to go back.

motherinferior Wed 05-Feb-14 14:13:09

We are on the same page, QQ. Sadly it is a page of a rather different magazine.

This thread is not accepting new messages.