formal dress etiquette

(30 Posts)
dementedma Sun 02-Feb-14 17:40:47

Help. Black tie gala dinner coming up for business awards. I have bought a dress which I like but am not a dressy person and am worried it is TOO formal for a dinner and awards. Its more like a ball gown, or what I imagine a ball gown to be. It's full length and the skirt is quite full. Am I going to look a tit if other women wear cocktail dresses?

dementedma Sun 02-Feb-14 18:47:58

5 foot 7, not 57.
Although not far off......

GinGinGin Sun 02-Feb-14 18:48:57

OP if it's a Mess Dinner than you're right to wear a long dress - I used to go to Army functions and they were pretty strict on that sort of thing.

dementedma Sun 02-Feb-14 18:51:30

Its not a mess dinner as such bit the military are going to be there as VIP guests keynote speakers.
Didn't understand the comment at seller spitting feathers etc. New to eBay - presume it means I got a bargain? I reckon I did!

notjustamummythankyou Sun 02-Feb-14 19:11:57

Sorry - yes. I meant that the seller probably expected to get more as it was brand new, and would be disappointed at getting 'just' a tenner. Funny time of year to stick a party frock on but it worked in your favour. Good for you!

HermioneWeasley Sun 02-Feb-14 20:26:11

If you're a hostess you set the tone for dress code.

And the dress is great.

Have a fantastic time!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now