So when is M and S actually going to improve?

(135 Posts)
Orangeanddemons Fri 31-Jan-14 12:53:49

Because it hasn't yet. They have the odd Cos type thing in Autograph, but the rest is dire, just dire. And the older girls is also dire. Drab, dull, boring safe and polyester.

Is it really going to ever up it's game?

LittleBabyPigsus Wed 12-Feb-14 01:11:31

I quite like the trousers but I have no idea who the target market is there - it's the kind of very on-trend stuff you'd see in ASOS (at half the price) that most people wouldn't wear. I certainly wouldn't wear top and trousers together.

duskymoon Tue 11-Feb-14 21:26:48

I have wide feet and it is my go to place for shoes, particullarly if I need work shoes - I know I will get a pair. I hate shoe shopping and take no pleasure trailing the shops.

gindrinker Tue 11-Feb-14 21:16:37

Who ever styles the models for the website should be sacked immediately.
Make the clothes look attractive, style with appropriate footwear/jewellery.
If all else fails put them on a manequin and Photoshop it out so you can see how the clothes hang.

Think john lewis not Primark...

OOAOML Tue 11-Feb-14 20:40:27

My eyes!shock shock

Fluffycloudland77 Tue 11-Feb-14 19:03:34

I had a skirt in a similar pattern in....1994!

zoemaguire Tue 11-Feb-14 18:50:59

And nearly 80 quid!!!!! Jeez, who designs this stuff?!

wildfig Tue 11-Feb-14 18:42:21

That is majestically 1996.

Allinafankle Tue 11-Feb-14 18:40:51
Eliza22 Tue 11-Feb-14 12:46:58

grin PottedPlant, that's probably why I like the food so much....it's all ready, already! I'm a seriously shite cook. I missed something in the gene pool when it came to kitchen skills so, I often buy their stuff and team it with veggies. Those things you buy wrapped in bacon or with a lattice topped pastry thingy being favourites. My DH would leave home if I didn't. He's a great cook but often away. I can make mash, but my son only eats M&S ready prepared mash which makes my own mum cringe. He has Aspergers though, so he's "allowed" a few foibles!

PottedPlant Tue 11-Feb-14 11:38:20

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

wildfig Tue 11-Feb-14 11:17:40

The Rosie for Autograph undies are nice.
The Cut Flowers room diffusers are nice.
Everything else in my local M&S is so bland, I can't even tell you what's in there - my brain registers it as 'slacks for my mum... bootcut mum jeans... Bet Lynch leopardprint faux wrap dress...' and skids straight past.

Mind you, the Marcel Wanders range is completely, joyfully bonkers and is either a dare or an EU tax loss initiative.

Looking at the clothes I've bought recently, the typical Autograph 'staples' - plain blue t-shirt, cocoon coat, black skirt, black dress - have all come from the Mary Portas range at HoF. Most of that range makes you look like a Mary Portas impersonator, but the basics are good quality and well made and very cheap in the sale.

LegoCaltrops Tue 11-Feb-14 10:06:54

Teta - it's so they don't have to stock as many sizes, it keeps their costs down. Also, someone on here once suggested that the sight of any cup size bigger than a D might be deemed offensive to some of the M&S customers... grin

teta Tue 11-Feb-14 09:24:19

The only things I've bought recently are the multi pack of lace edged Brazilians.They are so skimpy compared to previous ones bought there.Sainsburys are much better.Bra(couldn't find my size so had to get a bigger size).Stretched dramatically and now straps keep on falling down on the tightest setting.Why are all the bras b and c when according to the bra intervention most people are at least d cup(if small) and lower than a 36 band.I could only find d cups in 36 and above band size.

The food is good, however everything else leaves a lot to be desired. What I want to know is who exactly is Per Una aimed at? The only person that I know who buys any of it is my 86 yr old grandma when she's wanting to look funky grin

Unfortunately M & S want to be all things to all people and fall short of pleasing anyone in the clothing department. I just wish that they would go back to making good quality basics in decent colours and leave the lilac, sugared almond pink and powder blue behind.

Tis a pity as they are doing far better than most companies at being a responsible retailer https://plana.marksandspencer.com/about

LittleBearPad Tue 11-Feb-14 08:56:12

I could feel myself actually getting cross with them last week when I was in there. There was absolutely nothing. And I was in the Marble Arch store so ostensibly their flagship. I want decent basics for work. I do not want v neck sweaters in various shades of horrible pink and cashmere sweaters with 'love' written in red diamanté.
I bought knickers and tights.
And don't get me started on the poor woman looking for maternity tights. Nude only and in about two sizes. If there's one thing you should be able to get in M&S - it's tights. Grrrrrr

KristinaM Tue 11-Feb-14 08:50:39

I have no idea who their demographic is. Like many others on this thread I'm in my 50s and the only things I buy there are food ( occasionally ) and some school uniform.

I just checked my wardrobe ( for the purposes of this post ) and found one pair of M&s shoes from about 5 years ago and some knickers of a smilar vintage . That's it. Nothing else.

polyhymnia Tue 11-Feb-14 08:43:09

Food has some very good points. Fruit and veg consistently good. Some of their salads good too.and basics such as freshly squeezed OJ and bacon.

But they tend to the bland - eg, cheeses very boring and untasty - and most of their stuff is ready meals of various kinds and my DH won't eat ready meals of any kind!

Eliza22 Tue 11-Feb-14 08:27:22

Food. Food, damn it!

Eliza22 Tue 11-Feb-14 08:26:46

Knickers are great. Fodd's excellent....I have a 13 yr old who only eats M&S grin

Bras are not good... Clothing generally frumpy (still) IMO

Fluffycloudland77 Mon 10-Feb-14 21:42:42

I darent. Per Una is said with a nod of the head too.

hollyisalovelyname Mon 10-Feb-14 21:39:14

Fluffycloudland do tell us.
Who could possibly like Per Una?
Their designers smile

tobiasfunke Mon 10-Feb-14 18:27:45

I bought 3 bras recently. One had one cup that was too small by about 3 sizes- the cheeky fecking assistant told me I should've tried it on first. The other two lasted 2 wears and 6 wears respectively. In both the underwire broke in the middle. They lasted less than 2 months. I took the wire out of one and it was so ridiculously thin.

T shirts are too short then shrink upways and bag outways.

My 74 year old mother and MIL who are M &S stalwarts have given up.

They are still putting ok clothes through the bling machine and ruining them.
DS is 5 and the odd thing I've ever bought for him shrinks and/or goes bobbly.
I used to despair now I just can't believe they are still trading.

AliceInSandwichLand Mon 10-Feb-14 17:52:18

A few weeks ago i went to M and S and found a sort of Scandinavian earth mother-ish shirt with a pattern of little flowers and birds on it, which I liked so much that I bought two of it. This is, however, the first item I have managed to buy there for ages. I keep trying to buy basic jeans to fit a small waisted big hipped short size 12-14, but they all gape at the waist. The thing that winds me up most, though, is the underwear, and especially how they won't do bra fittings without an appointment even if they aren't busy. The last twice I've wanted a bra fitting for me or a daughter we've gone down the road to House of Fraser and got fitted at once with no trouble and spent shedloads of money there - surely they must lose loads of business with this attitude?

alemci Mon 10-Feb-14 15:31:13

perhaps an M&S employee reads the thread as the loos smelt fragrant in my local branch today.

I also received very good customer service at the return counter today. smile

PottedPlant Thu 06-Feb-14 10:49:15

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now