Upper age limit on this style of dress?

(46 Posts)
WingardiumLeveosaaa Thu 30-Jan-14 22:59:32

www.krisp.co.uk/outlet-c50/dresses-c51/krisp-brown-aztec-print-long-sleeve-midi-bodycon-dress-p6156

I have a dress just like this but in slightly bolder colours. I'm worried I might be too old for it.

What do you think is the age limit for it? I think I look good in it, its very flattering but I don't want to look like I'm trying to be 10 years younger than I am.

Financeprincess Thu 30-Jan-14 23:01:42

It's the sort of frock you could wear at any age provided you have the figure for it. Could look very stylish on the more mature laydeez.

WingardiumLeveosaaa Thu 30-Jan-14 23:08:39

That was the answer I wanted grin

I'm slim and toned if you ignore the slightly saggy stretch marked stomach and it is flattering. But it is a much younger style than I usually wear so wasn't sure if it would be ok.

I was thinking my black ankle boots and my biker jacket to go with it.

GreenRedBlueYellowPurple Thu 30-Jan-14 23:16:13

I don't think this style of dress is a good buy for any age!!!!

Aztec is so 2013 and it didnt even really look good then either!

<opinionated>

My Nan could have worn that to the day she died ( aged 91). I might have worn it age 19, but I've always had too much arse and hips to feel comfortable in bodycon dresses.

DD1(16) has curves, but she's been brought up in the age of Lycra and would have no quarks about that.

WingardiumLeveosaaa Thu 30-Jan-14 23:19:02

I don't mind being 'so 2013' as long as I'm not 'so 2005' or something. 2013 is up to date enough for me grin

30. It is a bit last years high fashion though...

WingardiumLeveosaaa Thu 30-Jan-14 23:24:32

I'm a littttttttttle bit over 30

WhoNickedMyName Thu 30-Jan-14 23:31:40

These dresses are on sale all over the Internet for 10 pound or less. I think they were a last year 'one season only' throwaway cheap fashion item.

I only ever saw from teenagers to age 25ish wearing them last year tbh.

Elderberri Thu 30-Jan-14 23:36:15

Well I think it's fine, as long as you have the body.

Lumps and bumps in the right place.

WingardiumLeveosaaa Thu 30-Jan-14 23:44:21

I'm a toned 8, not very tall though. Looks like opinions are divided.

salonmeblowy Thu 30-Jan-14 23:48:04

108, I'd say.

burnishedsilver Thu 30-Jan-14 23:48:56

I think that after 25 it's very difficult to carry off any dress that cost £14.99, regardless of the style. Things that look cheap and cheerful on younger people can look a bit tragic at my age.

MuttonCadet Thu 30-Jan-14 23:51:29

It depends on the colours and pattern.

But the fact that you're planning on putting it with black ankle boots and a biker jacket screams mid 40's trying too hard.

Looks like something Liz Jones would wear, but if you like her style then you're fine.

46direct Thu 30-Jan-14 23:57:44

I looked fab in 2013 wearing one size 8 46 years on holiday. Wouldn't wear it in uk. Now wondering of its a NO for this year's holiday!
Whats the thing this year?

WingardiumLeveosaaa Fri 31-Jan-14 00:16:42

Unfortunately my budget doesn't really stretch to expensive dresses, I usually spend less than £20 but get lots of compliments so I think I must be doing something right in general.

I definitely don't look like Lizard Jones. I'm 31, size 8.

Oh well, I'll hold my head high when I wear it and any funny looks I'll assume come from MNetters that read this thread grin

50ShadesOfMaybe Fri 31-Jan-14 08:46:04

Dear me, I was expecting some barely-bum-covering baby-doll thing.

Of course you can wear it if you have the figure for it - which it sounds like you do. I'm mid early forties and I'd wear the style although the pattern is not my thing.

Leviticus Fri 31-Jan-14 08:55:36

I despair of these mutton-fearing posts. Especially when the OP turns out to be 31 and a size 8. Ridiculous!

Not picking on you OP but why are we doing this to ourselves?

GreenRedBlueYellowPurple Fri 31-Jan-14 09:06:50

Ah you're only 31. You're a little bit younger than me. Aztec looks bad. Doesn't matter what age or dress size you are!

PoshPaula Fri 31-Jan-14 09:09:45

Agree with Leviticus. So many threads in this section revolve around the Age Question.

Enough! I used to think like that when I was 31. I bloody well don't now, at 44.

pictish Fri 31-Jan-14 09:09:45

God I was expecting to click on some Liz McDonald horror.
I think a dress like that is for any age...provided you aren't a chunker.
I couldn't wear it, but no because of my age (38).

burnishedsilver Fri 31-Jan-14 09:13:18

Why ask the question if you've already made up your mind?

You're size 8 and and only 31. You can wear just about anything, but you already know that.

Preciousbane Fri 31-Jan-14 09:13:31

The shape of the dress is nice but the pattern is very busy and a bit hard to carry off regardless of age.

Was Aztec in fashion then? Didn't make it to my Northern mill town.

Sharaluck Fri 31-Jan-14 09:18:41

As long as it fits well and you have a slim figure any age.

However it is quite cheap so I would worry about the quality/thickness of fabric. I think more mature figures need better quality fabrics to be flattering. However a good quality slip might be helpful with this smile

senua Fri 31-Jan-14 09:20:43

Who are these krisp people - they seem very cheap. Is that cheap as in 'cheap' or cheap as in 'good value'? Need to know before I recommend it to DD!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now