Cosmetic dentistry - what have you had done and why...

(32 Posts)
Steben Tue 28-Jan-14 20:22:06

I have seriously been considering going for a private consultation somewhere as my front teeth are Really beginning to bug me. There is a chip in one and a filling in the other which is now a noticeably different colour from the rest of the tooth hmm having done a bit of research I think what I would need would be two crowns over my two front teeth and then a whitening treatment. Anyone done anything similar and want to share there experience (cost/regrets etc...)

Mrsmorton Thu 30-Jan-14 12:19:09

Your post was a little misleading then. This is direct composite bonding, not veneers (which can be made in composite, porcelain, acrylic or even Gold).

I had teeth whitening to cover years of staining from bulimia, as well as drinking coffee, cola etc. The first treatment only just worked, not much difference t all, that was just with bleach gel trays from the dentist, then I had laser treatment and that worked. I look after my teeth a lot better now and don't drink, red wine, coffee or cola. I do have to use sensitive teeth toothpaste though as they re very sensitive now.

Bonsoir Thu 30-Jan-14 13:39:09

My DD (9) has had braces for the past few months to straighten her top four teeth and I am seriously impressed with the orthodontist and feel like getting my teeth straightened. I will be 48 this summer...

Mrsmorton Thu 30-Jan-14 16:24:21

Never too old! As long as you've got teeth and no gum disease...

Dalaimama Thu 30-Jan-14 16:52:47

My apologies if my post was misleading - never meant it to be.

I was under the impression the term composite veneers was interchangeable with composite bonding.

What exactly is the difference in these two procedures?

Mrsmorton Thu 30-Jan-14 17:14:49

Veneers are made in a lab by a technician and bonded to your teeth (like crowns only a different shape/size etc. The technicians are amazing artists and this can be very expensive. The porcelain or composite is built up onto a foil that covers the "die" or model of your tooth and then it is set or fired in a furnace.

Direct bonding/build ups are done either freehand or to a template by the dentist. They are less destructive usually and can be repaired more easily than the other sort. I have an amazing technician who does these wonderful build ups in wax on a model of the teeth and then I copy that onto the actual teeth myself. Longer in the chair but still cheaper than getting the lab made veneers (for us, every practice is different).

Dalaimama Thu 30-Jan-14 18:09:05

Thanks for the explanation! My dentist does them freehand, takes ages as she is a real perfectionist. She has transformed my smile!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now