RANT-Where have all the natural fabric made clothes gone !!!

(115 Posts)
bawabod Tue 28-Jan-14 16:01:21

Right on the basis of a few recent threads regarding quality of clothing and the amount of awful polyester viscose and other man made fabrics, lets discuss who is good at supplying clothes made with natural fabrics I am not adverse to cotton with a bit of elastane or is it lycra, god knows it can keep the blobby parts in check, but I am thoroughly fed-up with the amount of clothes lined in polyester and suchlike or made with it. It brings me out in a cold sweat, am old enough to remember crimplene trousers as a child but consider myself a trendy fortyish lady now. So I will start with who I think is good at such clothes Fat Face, Gap some East stuff and welcome ideas of other places to shop.smile

TulipOHare Wed 05-Feb-14 00:09:48

Starball I recently bought this jumper, it is 50% silk and 50% cotton and is £14. Is very nice smile

Sadly my budget and laundry system don't stretch to cashmere and silk.

Orangeanddemons Tue 04-Feb-14 17:53:40

I'm allergic too. I'm not allergic to cashmere, so I wear that. You'd be better of with a silk jumper than a cotton one, as silk is warm

Charge

But wool brings me out in a rash and cotton doesn't, so I'm getting really pissed off with put a bit of wool in a jumper to church £10 more and make it possibly unwearable for me and definitely unwearable for DD1

Orangeanddemons Mon 03-Feb-14 18:11:07

Wool keeps you warm because the fibres are crimped. Cotton does not have this property the fibres of cotton are twisty.

So wool keeps you warm because air is trapped between the crimping. Cotton cant do this., so Cotton is not as warm as wool, whatever Jojo says

UnicornsNotRiddenByGrownUps Sun 02-Feb-14 13:56:58

Sorry don't have time to read the whole thread so please excuse me if this is a repeat but try people tree. Fair trade cotton and feels lovely.

East do Merino cardigans. Don't know if they're 100% though. White Company used to, think they've shifted to more blends now. Agree about Woolovers cashmere merino but their lambs wool is a lot better. Cambridge baby do lots of wool for kids btw but ££, I still haven't found a proper wool cardigan for dd this winter that I can afford and like.

peppapigiscomingtotea Sun 02-Feb-14 12:09:22

piratepanda- you might be able to pick up something on the John Smedley outlet section. They have been selling their merino wool jumpers for v reasonable prices recently.

alemci Sun 02-Feb-14 12:02:38

also the actual 'wool' is such poor quality and bobbles even if you move your arm and before you even wash it.

bunnymother Sun 02-Feb-14 11:36:38

To be honest, I'm not sure all sales assistants have ever had great knowledge about such things. Some probably did, but others wouldn't. I imagine it depends on the training the brand / shop provides.

I didn't care enough to argue it out, but I'm pretty sure my facial expressions were saying "you are wrong wrong wrong".

FairPhyllis Sun 02-Feb-14 11:23:17

God almighty. Cotton as warm as wool. Riiiiight. Why the flip do they think people insulate their homes with wool then and not cotton?

Saying that cotton keeps you warm when wet like wool is actually bloody dangerous, pig ignorant advice too.

I am actually genuinely distressed about this sort of thing. How come we are losing what used to be basic knowledge?

bunnymother Sun 02-Feb-14 09:35:34

According to the sales staff at Jo Jo Maman Bebe, cotton (the only cardis they had) does keep you as warm as wool, even when wet, because it breathes. Suuure, whatever you say hmm

FairPhyllis Sun 02-Feb-14 09:30:50

The thing that irritates me most is the disappearance of wool from jumpers. A cotton jumper does not cut it for keeping me warm.

I got a wool jumper from Jaeger in the sale, and I think that's how it's going to have to be from now on - ferreting out wool items in the sales.

Specialbrew Sun 02-Feb-14 09:26:10

I like Uniqlo for some bits, tkmaxx for cotton and silk, jack wills for jumpers, gap for cotton shirts, Vince and James Perse for t-shirts. I buy work trousers from Joseph or Stella McCartney (only in the sales!), which are made from a fine wool.

I never go into Zara, as I like some of you am an obsessive label checker, and looking for natural fibers is like looking for a needle in a hay stack.

I broke my own rule recently though, I really wanted a wool peacoat, but the only one that I liked was a 30% wool one from Uniqlo. After the first wear it bobbled like mad and after a month, it looked scruffy and was unwearable. I bought a Hobbs wool one in the sales which is 100 times better.

Agree with others that polyester seems to be taking over the world, I went to Jaeger in the sales to look for work dresses and I was amazed that they sold so much polyester and charge so much for it, ditto Reiss and Whistles

I do think though that for me, as so many clothes are made of polyester I buy much less. Seeing a label saying 100% polyester means I walk away

bunnymother Sun 02-Feb-14 09:14:25

My Gap and Uniqlo merino have been great. Lambs wool, no, merino, yes.

PiratePanda Sun 02-Feb-14 09:01:47

The problem is not confined to man-made fibres unfortunately. Don't get me started on cheap short-fibre cashmere. I have a 10-year-old M&S pure cashmere cardigan that has never pilled (the odd one I suppose). The style is a bit out of fashion now though.

So I bought another one. It pilled horribly within a couple of wears, and unless I waste hours with a wool comb after every wear it's basically unwearable.

So I asked for suggestions for good quality cashmere on here and was recommended Woolovers. Ha! I am bitterly disappointed with the cashmere-merino mix cardigans I bought. They pilled horribly within ONE wear and now liok shabby and vile, only fit for the garden.

Can't find a plain 100% merino cardi for love nor money.

<wails> nothing is as good as it used to be!

I'm just going to have to buy Brora or John Smedley, aren't I...

MarshaBrady Sun 02-Feb-14 08:39:06

It is hard to find. I suppose that's why if I have say £40 to £60 to spend I'll go to the outnet or sales and spend it there rather than high st.

I don't mind so much about when I have something, but prefer it to be natural fibre - cotton, cashmere.

Pinickins Sun 02-Feb-14 08:37:25

Completely agree with you all. The surge of polyester on the high street is an absolute disgrace. It's amazing how much polyester is in some jeans these days (M&S 5 pocket are nearly 40% polyester!)

(Loving the Outsider site that someone linked to above.)

bunnymother Sun 02-Feb-14 07:31:11

Crispy knits are nasty. Wool is far nicer!! My DDs prefer cashmere, too, as it's not itchy for them and is so snugly. Sighing at the cost, though.

alemci Sat 01-Feb-14 21:04:19

also the man made fibres hold sweat smells even when washed more so tyan natural fibres I think.

Dorisdolalee Sat 01-Feb-14 18:43:23

I'm Also always checking labels.
Why do people say acrylic washes better than wool?! Bollocks. It goes crispy and is not at all effective at keeping you warm as wool. My daughter is always being given acrylic stuff & I refuse to put her in it. I recently spent the day looking for a pure lambs wool cardie for her and ended up with a cashmere cardi from gap. As everywhere only had wool mix for kids: Zara, H&M, Benetton, John lewis, next ... Nothing.

JellicleCat Sat 01-Feb-14 18:29:57

Loving this thread. I was beginning to think I was the only person who hated man-made fibres. I don't like viscose, it creases and tops seem to lose their shape very quickly. My personal bugbear is acrylic jumpers. Nasty horrible things.

I am one of the ones checking labels in shops to check what things are made of.

bunnymother Sat 01-Feb-14 16:59:54

Parliamo - I also scrunch clothes when shopping to see how they crease. I have become my mother.

bunnymother Sat 01-Feb-14 16:57:47

Bumping for Financeprincess. Wildthong said "Add message | Report | Message poster WildThong Tue 28-Jan-14 21:49:04
Lovely cashmere/silk mix pashminas and scarves on this site. Use code NEWPASH to get a pashmina for £30." Site is www.catwalk-glamour.com/Cashmere-Pashmina-Scarf-p/pashmina.htm?utm_source=iContact&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=Catwalk%20Glamour%20Ltd&utm_content=New+Pash+colours+28.01.2014

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now