Flawless, Nigella-style foundation

(173 Posts)

Watching The Taste recently (which is crap) I am transfixed by Nigella's amazing skin. I know she's certainly had a bit or botox or whatever, but she clearly has fantastic foundation.
As a fellow pale and interesting type I was hoping for some recommendations for foundation that gives that wonderful creamy effect.
I use a light, illuminating foundation during the day but want something heavier for evenings.

Any ideas?

nomorebooze Sat 08-Feb-14 16:14:59

afternoon allsmile DrankSangriaInThePark: the liquid one is defo sh*t its the one in the jar with concealer in the lid which is another thing completely! its the Dogs bo*****s! well i think so anyhoo! tried Lancôme, Laura mercier, Bobbie brown, none compare even hubby thinks it looks really good..............and that itself is a blooming miraclesmile

PeterAndresSprayTanner Sat 08-Feb-14 15:12:21

I use bare minerals because it covers really well, but you have to blend it like a demon. I 'work' it into the pores that are visible (round nose etc) and it gives a pretty flawless finish. A quick smidge of a highlighting primer underneath and the result it quite natural and even.

If I'm having a very bad skin day, I'll use some Botanics BB cream (purchased following it being recommended on here - very pleased with it) with a swoosh of bare minerals over the top, for extra coverage.

My latest discovery that I am really pleased with is the Sleek blusher in rose gold - again, bought it after it was recommended on here. A very good dupe for the NARS 'Orgasm' blusher. In fact I have converted a friend at work - who is a NARS addict - who commented that it's almost identical but a fraction of the price. Beautiful colour and it looks lovely on.

coffeeinbed Sat 08-Feb-14 14:13:03

I don't think I there is one HG foundation.

It's because my skin feel different every day, and i want different stuff for it - more coverage in winter, just a bit of something in Summer or because tanned skin looks - for me - wrong with foundation.

I have found a happy middle with a tinted moisturiser, Just Skin, but even that looks off some days.
Sometimes I mix - Healthy Mix Serum with some highlighting primer, but am running out of that particular primer and will have to with because it's to made anymore.
I'm lucky enough in that I don't need heavy coverage, or at least deluded.
Sometimes I feel like trying something new.

It's not a constant.

GeorginaWorsley Sat 08-Feb-14 11:05:39

I must get some of that lanacane stuff!
I'm a foundation and lipstick junkie,eyeshadows I can take or leave.

DameDiazepamTheDramaQueen Sat 08-Feb-14 11:02:20

Oh yes, Charles of the Ritz,I remembergrin

If you want a good primer, try Lanacane anti chaff gel, same ingredients as the Smashbox one, it's fab stuff. NOT TO BE CONFUSED WITH THE LANACANE YOU USE FOR ITCHY BITS!

Eliza22 Sat 08-Feb-14 10:53:22

Of course! Ultima and Ultima II. Ahead of their time trend-wise, for sure. Bobbi Brown et al, came in just at the right time.

DH has just made the suggestion of a trip to the cinema and an Italian restaurant later, at a "dangerously close to a Laura Mercier outlet" location. Will he NOT learn?!

DrankSangriaInThePark Sat 08-Feb-14 10:45:16

Bought by Revlon and then shut down in 2002 Wiki tells me.

DrankSangriaInThePark Sat 08-Feb-14 10:42:42

grin at Eliza.

Ultima was, I think, also a Revlon brand. I remember when they were discontinued reading in my bible of the time (Cosmo) that they had tapped into a trend at the wrong time, late 80s, nudes and beiges? Nope. Five years later....

My Zambian friend could still get Charles of the Ritz in the 00s from South Africa. My Mum still keeps her hairgrips in a CotR powder pot - Revenescence loose powder. It had the light reflecting bits yeeeears before Estee Lauder came up with Lucidity.

I could prattle on for hours about this. grin

Eliza22 Sat 08-Feb-14 10:22:20

Wow, I remember Charles of the Ritz. I used to wear a perfume of theirs. Wonder where they went? Also, I loved Ultimo 2. (??) something like that. Used to buy it a House of Fraser.....then it disappeared, all "nudey" colours which, in the 80's/90's went against the sparkle and shiny stuff (well, we had to counter those power shoulder pads and big hair with something!).

As for being a junkie I shit you not..... "My name is Eliza, and I'm addicted to all things "counter"! ". Seriously, when I mooch around John Lewis counters, it's like discovering treasure, all little gleaming pots and jewel coloured pans.

DrankSangriaInThePark Sat 08-Feb-14 08:10:58

Whenever I join these threads it makes me realise what a foundation/skincare junkie I have been, and still am.....ever onwards for that holy grail....

Now mascara etc, any old poundshop stuff will do me...

DrankSangriaInThePark Sat 08-Feb-14 08:10:01

In my local McArthur Glen outlet place, the Revlon store stocks the odd bits and bobs of Almay, so I'm guessing Revlon is the umbrella company and simply stopped marketing it. It was bloody marvellous. At the time, (late 80s early 90s) I tried Lancôme Maquimat, Chanel Matt-something or other and the Almay one, and the Almay one was far and away the best.

Another one I used to love which disappeared was Charles of the Ritz. (mad name, fab products) The first light reflective powder I ever had was from there, and a lippy you literally needed a good scrub with a flannel to get off.

I am on the latest Garnier primer at the mo' which is fine, but the best I've tried is Clarins Instant Smooth. I also liked their foundation of the same name, but I think it's been discontinued.

DolomitesDonkey Fri 07-Feb-14 20:28:21

Im currently using chanel perfection lumiere, given how much comes off when I cleanse it's a stayer! Agree with so many others, secret is in the primer - and I'm yet to find one im totally in love with.

VillaVillekulla Fri 07-Feb-14 19:52:31

I got Revlon Colorstay liquid yesterday and I have to say I really like it. It felt a bit odd at first - tight and mask like - but it's made my skin look half decent and has lasted all day long. I like.
I didn't get on with the Bourjois Healthy mix either. Either the serum one or the other one. I've got a bottle that I've literally used once and don't want. Very annoying. Can't take it back. Can't bring myself to bin it.

coffeeinbed Fri 07-Feb-14 19:38:16

I think Almay is called something else now.
or did it merge with Rimmel or Maybelline?

DameDiazepamTheDramaQueen Fri 07-Feb-14 19:22:31

What happened to Almay? I used to wear loads off their stuff in the 80's!

GeorginaWorsley Fri 07-Feb-14 19:02:51

Have bought Clarins Everlasting and I really like it so far .
Definitely flawless look!

RonaldMcDonald Fri 07-Feb-14 18:50:07

lolling at are you on glue from diazepam

DrankSangriaInThePark Fri 07-Feb-14 18:47:36

Yes, I think that's it coffee. I remember when Chanel Vitalumiere was raved about on here so like the baaaaa-sheep I am I went and got some and I was very underwhelmed.

Update on the whipped crème.....over primer, I must admit it covers really well and lasts. The 50 natural shade is just right for me. Salisbury- I started my pot yesterday, and I wear makeup 7 days a week, so I will let you know how long it lasts, it does look tiny, but I suppose as it's a cream, it might be deceptive.

coffeeinbed Fri 07-Feb-14 17:16:07

I use Healthy mix Serum.
I happen to love it, so maybe it's just not right for your skin, Sangria.

DameDiazepamTheDramaQueen Fri 07-Feb-14 17:13:26

I watched The Taste last night, you're right OP it was crapgrin her foundation is down to clever lighting and lots of it! They all looked good, not hot and sweaty like on British Bake Offgrin

salisburysteak Fri 07-Feb-14 16:58:55

I bought the bourjois happy light primer and foundation and concealer after reading this thread and a utube makeup artist recommends it. Will post how if goes. I'm expecting miracles. Nearly bought the whipped creme but pot is tiny

DrankSangriaInThePark Thu 06-Feb-14 09:35:33

cherryhealey- I bet the Almay one you are talking about was "Rachel" (bizarrely, they all had girl names) White tube? I wore "ivory" and it was fab. (or was it because I was 20?)

I bought a pot of whipped crème yesterday, and for the price it's OK. Not much coverage though and definitely "settled" into my dry skin. So I don't know where they get their "hydrating" blurb from. It is similar to, but not as good coverage as, Maybelline mousse IMO. But for 8 euro it will do for now.

Those Healthy Mix detractors, you are using the foundation and not the serum foundation? I made the mistake of buying the serum foundation and it was hideous. Slimy and gloopy and yellow. The foundation foundation, completely different, on my skin at least.

I had a La Prairie foundation once. (they were flogging it off as they weren't going to stock it anymore) It was a liquid one and no better or worse than anything else.

Stonehaven Thu 06-Feb-14 07:08:06

asgoodasitgets I'm so pleased to find another paleo-loving poler!! We're a rare breed grin

nomorebooze Mon 03-Feb-14 22:16:53

yeah I now but so worth it haha! lasts 2-3 times longer than other makes! get it when hof has 10% off...............

DameDiazepamTheDramaQueen Mon 03-Feb-14 21:48:09

Are you on glue? It's 136 quid <faints>grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now