Flawless, Nigella-style foundation

(173 Posts)

Watching The Taste recently (which is crap) I am transfixed by Nigella's amazing skin. I know she's certainly had a bit or botox or whatever, but she clearly has fantastic foundation.
As a fellow pale and interesting type I was hoping for some recommendations for foundation that gives that wonderful creamy effect.
I use a light, illuminating foundation during the day but want something heavier for evenings.

Any ideas?

bishboschone Tue 28-Jan-14 19:29:21

Sheer cover is supposed to be amazing but I haven't tried it.

Piscivorus Tue 28-Jan-14 19:33:18

I have Bare Minerals which I think may be similar to Sheer Cover and find the coverage far lighter than they advertise. By the time I build it up to get the coverage I find it looks cakey

FrugalFashionista Tue 28-Jan-14 19:34:48

I was highly sceptical about mineral makeup although lots of friends have sworn by it for years (it sounds like a cult doesn't it wink) because my skin is dry and acne/rosacea prone. Regular pressed powder makes it drier still and also flaky but mineral makeup is really finely milled clay that is worked into your pores (the buffing). So it works, although I didn't expect it to. I moisturize with one of my LRP moisturizers about half an hour before and fix with a spray of Avene thermal water and that seems to work well.

The Lily Lolo I've been experimenting with has a high kaolin content so it actually feels slightly creamy. The shade range is much better than in liquid foundation and you can fine tune it infinitely by adding in a few grains of a darker base. You can also increase the coverage by mixing in more concealer (kaolin) into your base. You can order tiny and cheap sample jars so if it doesn't work for you you haven't invested much.

I'm wearing it today and my skin has this incredible lit-from-within glow and looks flawless - pretty incredible as I had a hideous outbreak of eczema over Christmas and still have some residual flushing and scarring.

SinglePringle Tue 28-Jan-14 19:40:07

On tv, Nigella's make up will have been airbrushed on. The make up artist uses a very fine spray but will probably do three or four layers. Plus concealer / powder etc.

It's due to all programmes now being recorded in HD. Without airbrushing, their skin looks as flawed as yours or mine.

She'll take 3 hours in make up, minimum (& then touched up throughout the day).

FrugalFashionista Tue 28-Jan-14 19:41:25

Oh and I definitely need coverage (redness, hyperpigmentation) so I use the concealer with a Mac 219 brush, works really well. On most days I only retouch a bit with the concealer, but sometimes I do a full face with the mineral foundation and that's when I achieve that special glow.

escargot Tue 28-Jan-14 19:51:28

Clinique Even Better Compact?

QuinnFabray Tue 28-Jan-14 19:52:19

That Revlon whipped cream foundation is indeed fantastic. I'm so sad they're not planning on launching it in the UK, as far as I know. I buy mine from eBay, have a stock pile of the stuff.

TheresLotsOfFarmyardAnimals Tue 28-Jan-14 19:52:53

Shiseido do a heavy cover foundation that Kate Middleton uses.

Gosh, I hardly know where to start. How do you know what colour to order the Revlon one in?

I think I may need to invest in my own make up artist with an airbrush for big nights out. Easy!

kerstina Tue 28-Jan-14 20:02:57

Single pringle that makes sense about the air brushing. I have been scrutinising a lot of people on tv who I know are in their 40's and wondering how they looked so flawless and what foundations their make ups were using.

FishCalledWonder Tue 28-Jan-14 20:09:31

I have terrible skin: old acne scars, enormous pores, red patches etc. I had foundation air brushed on my wedding day and it was amazing. Looked flawless and stayed matte. Never had a day off from a shiny forehead since!

QuinnFabray Tue 28-Jan-14 20:39:02

Google "Revlon colorstay whipped crème swatches" and you should get some pictures with all the different shades. Or you could try findation.com or Temptalia's foundation shade matrix. I know that sounds bonkers. These are all just online tools to help you find the right shade match.

SinglePringle Tue 28-Jan-14 20:44:19

Yup, airbrushing the foundation on is absolutely standard on tv now. And remember the lighting is designed (especially on studio shows) to very much flatter skin tone etc.

Plus there will be a make up artist standing by to nip in during any break in filming to touch up. And they will have blended the exact shade of foundation by mixing various different ones together - as well as using different colours / textures / finishes for different parts of the face.

Housewife2010 Tue 28-Jan-14 21:00:16

Ellisisland, Thanks for the link. In the court case in outside light, Nigella's face looked amazing. She was wearing lots of makeup, but looked so good. I'm into Hourglass Ambient powder in Diffused Light at the moment. I'm wearing that over EL Doublewear Light today and my skin looks good.

Merguez Tue 28-Jan-14 21:08:29

Can someone please explain how the Bare Minerals stuff is supposed to work.

I find it seems to highlight my pores, and then by the end of the day it looks powdery and my skin seems quite dry.

Maybe I am doing it wrong?

escargot Tue 28-Jan-14 21:09:31

I hated Bare minerals merguez made me look waxy and lined sad

goodasitgets Tue 28-Jan-14 21:55:59

I am v pale (lighter than nw20)
Mainly I sorted my skin care so my skin looks good anyway
Then I use urban decay naked liquid foundation mixed with lush forever young (highlighter). Applied with real techniques brush and stippled all over face. Loose powder on T zone and bare minerals blush (rose radiance)

goodasitgets Tue 28-Jan-14 21:58:03

This is the best pic I can find of my makeup in natural light!
instagram.com/p/hGbHMvtdz-/

GeorginaWorsley Tue 28-Jan-14 22:00:13

I don't like Bare Minerals either.
I looked like something out of Madame Tussaud's .

FrugalFashionista Wed 29-Jan-14 07:55:21

The first time I tried mineral I applied the way I would use normal loose powder - liberally with a soft powder brush - and the end result was a floury mess / goth face.

Now I spoon out a tiny amount (the size of half a rice grain) on a jam jar lid, swirl and tap with a kabuki and buff it in. The buffing should take a longish time, you are really working it into your skin. I don't use it around my eyes. The results are fantastic and the final light misting with water fixes it and gives a lovely dewiness. If the result is too pale, rethink and remix the shade. With mineral, there is no reason to settle for an imperfect color match as you can really fine-tune the shade and coverage in a way that is not possible with liquid foundation. If it feels too dry, moisturize well before and try using an even tinier amount the next time.

Its not going to work for all skin types, but it can be a lifesaver for problem skin. I ended up trying it because I've become sensitized to most regular cosmetics amd needed a bismuth free alternative. I wanted to get rid of light rosacea-induced redness and irregular skin tone. With liquid, only the heaviest coverage foundations were successful in really covering major redness, and I had problems finding a good cool/pink base that was pale enough (Revlon Ivory is the best match I've ever found). So it's a really pleasant surprise that a really tiny amount of mineral will sort out the redness and the result is much more natural than what I ever achieved with heavy liquid.

Merguez Wed 29-Jan-14 08:23:08

Sounds like I have been using too much then …

Didn't know you were supposed to mist with water either.

I am a young-looking 50 though - maybe it's just not appropriate for older skin?

nomorebooze Wed 29-Jan-14 08:27:56

whats budget? if you don't mind spending a bit of cash La prairie caviar foundation all the way! amazing foundation and worth the money, not there new lighter coverage one as found that crap, the original one with concealer in the lid! if any big department store locally go and try it.....

wools Wed 29-Jan-14 08:28:32

I use bare minerals Matt version and it's great for older skin - very natural and doesn't look like you're wearing any make up I can't stand Bare Minerals original - very obvious and it does sit in the pores highlighting all the flaws - dreadful on mature skins.

RonaldMcDonald Wed 29-Jan-14 08:30:39

I hate mineral make up, it's awful on my skin.

I used to use Chanel Vitalumiere Cream and had excellent flawless coverage but then discontinued it and I struggled for a replacement anywhere close to as good.

I use Revlon color stay for combined skin with a brightening base

Eliza22 Wed 29-Jan-14 08:40:49

Botox. Cheek fillers. A professional makeup artist following you around where ever you go. A stylist. She's built her career on some kitchen know-how and the Domestic Goddess persona so, she has to maintain that look. Otherwise, she becomes just a domestic.

Failing that....cut out alcohol, drink lots of water and use Lancôme Teint Idole Ultra 24 HR foundation with a light hand. Seriously, Nigella's had good work done to her skin and that's her choice (and bank account) but she can look as rough as any of us when not "on duty" and has fewer lines/sagging now that she had 5 years ago. Nothing that really makes that much difference comes from a bottle IMO. And I think she looks good, if a little immobile facially. smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now