Bra Feedback. Fit, Quality and Styles

(67 Posts)
enriquetheringbearinglizard Tue 28-Jan-14 13:40:12

I piggybacked on another thread with a few questions. Now having had all the size advice I thought I'd post about the bras I ordered online and give feedback and comments and leave it open for anyone else to chip in with similar questions or feedback.

I always try and buy my underwear when the sales are on and admit I look for bargains, but I do like something pretty and for it to feel nice as well as being a good price because if you don't really like something that much, it's not a bargain really is it.

I ordered six bras of the size I measure up to and six pairs of pants too. Must admit I was a bit disappointed in the parcel that came. I got free next day delivery which was good, but the parcel looked a bit like a football, a soft plastic bag and everything bundled up in one scrunched up sheet of tissue. Some of the bras were fastened and some not, so overall I was slightly underwhelmed by my package of goodies.
On the upside though returns are free and replacements sent free of postage as well.

I'll post some links to the styles and thoughts so far.
The last thread I posted on was here www.mumsnet.com/Talk/style_and_beauty/a1964148-Nice-underwear?msgid=44678073#44678073

enriquetheringbearinglizard Wed 29-Jan-14 17:53:34

Crazy Bra Experts what's your lowdown on Kris Line bras please? they look so pretty.

I need you to talk me through everything now blush

Kris Line are generally small in band and cup (I can get in to my standard size but would prefer one cup up, and I like a firrrrrmmm band) but the uplift is excellent. They were my introduction to polish bras.

Oh and the wires are relatively narrow

enriquetheringbearinglizard Wed 29-Jan-14 18:20:43

Ooooh I'm quite intrigued now as to why Polish bras seem to be figuring [blush' no pun intended there, as important in the market.

I like the sound of the uplift, but not sure about narrow wires? do you mean the shape of the wires is narrow? and so possibly not so good for my shape? sad

I'm looking at all the bras that really look pretty and nice fabrics, but if I can't find alternatives to order again, then I'll have to get a refund and wait until I can get to a Bravissimo store.

Order online from Bravissimo if you can't get there. Their online ordering and returns is really good.

The wires are narrower in that if you put on the same size in a curvy kate, the curvy kate would have a cup that would not stick out as far (so looking side on the boobs wouldn't project as far), and the CK wire would come further round under your arm.

What suits is very body shape dependent, and I think the differences are also more of an issue on narrower back sizes and on bigger cup sizes. I'm a 30, and on me a curvy kate 30HH wire is quite literally the whole way round under my arm and touching the start of my back. I don't think for someone with a larger back size who is physically a little wider, it's as big a problem. So for me the difference between a CK and a Kris line is huge - but I'm not sure it would be as bad in a 36F-ish.

enriquetheringbearinglizard Wed 29-Jan-14 18:38:36

Thank you statistically.
Can I offer thanks and wine to both you and Sorrel.

I just hope you don't get me into any trouble from hereonin. I'm eyeing up women and thinking 'she could do with an intervention' grin
I'd really like to see what you could do for Sarah Millican, she was on TV the other night and it was a montage from various shows. I looked at her and thought, poor woman, you could look so much better and then I got to wondering what you'd be saying to her if you could.

blush I actually shared that outloud didn't I. Oh dear.

I'm just reading this quickly ( need to get dc1 from Brownies in a bit ) then I'm going to measure myself and order some of these lovelies grin

Not worn decent bra fir loooong time as dc2 bf until he was 2 and a bit then pregnant not long after u stopped do been wearing maternity and droopy feeding Bra fir pretty much last 4 years and I need sone uplift!!

DramaAlpaca Wed 29-Jan-14 18:52:06

Just been reading through your thread enrique. I'm the same size as you and it sounds we're a similar shape too. I thought it might be helpful if I posted links for a few of the styles that I've found fit me well after following the MN measuring guidelines (thank you bra ladies!). Bravissimo online are very good.

www.bravissimo.com/products/lingerie/sensational-sets/patsy-bra/sea-green/fy131sgr/?
www.bravissimo.com/products/lingerie/sensational-sets/elodie-bra/black-teal/fag7bt/?
www.bravissimo.com/products/lingerie/sensational-sets/floris-bra/rose-print/pn114rpr/?show=all

enriquetheringbearinglizard Wed 29-Jan-14 19:00:51

DA that's really helpful, thank you. Hope some of my feedback and the experts' comments are interesting for you to read too. I'll check out those links.

I tried to get on livechat and also rang up customer services to discuss my returns for what I'd ordered above (not name checking the company but it says up above) The returns policy sounds fair. But I couldn't get through to either, so I'm emailing them.

I get that Bravissimo are good for mail order too, but I really do fancy the fitting experience in person, so I must try to organize a trip.

carrielou I think you definitely need to treat yourself to some new underwear don't you? not only for the benefit of the fit, but also as a reward. It'll be a nice tonic don't you think? smile

DramaAlpaca Wed 29-Jan-14 19:24:40

You're welcome enrique. I will be checking out your links too for other ideas.

Well I just measured myself and shockshockshock! I always had a lovely pair of 34d/dd before dc and now I have a pair if half empty tea bags yet measured 31/38??!! Surely I'm not going to fill a bra with those cup sizes I have nothing I tell you!!

SorrelForbes Thu 30-Jan-14 00:16:02

OK, you need to try 30FF/F and 32E/F as a starting point. It sounds like you have bottom heavy, fairly shallow boobs? You will be surprised at how much breast tissue needs to go in the cup rather than bulge at the sides of the bra.

A 30F has the same cup volume as a 34DD but should give more support.

enriquetheringbearinglizard Thu 30-Jan-14 10:51:48

carrie when I was first fitted and went up so many cup sizes I wondered where the hell it had all come from, and more to the point where it had all been going before grin
I thought of my misbehaving breasts like a flock of sheep wandering off to hidden parts of the field and then being rounded up confused

Just popped in to say Good Morning and tell you that if you're a member of Secret Sales, they have quite a lot of Curvy Kate bras on sale, some at £13, presume they're discontinued styles? great though if you know what you want.
Just haven't come across any in my size. Such is life.

I'm going to do a big order tonight when dc in bed. Was going to try a few on today but no preschool today so dc2 at home too no chance with him around! Got meeting tomorrow not too far from John Lewis so may go and see what they have too. This is so exciting!

After having a good look (as much as I can with my one eye) at my boobs thus morning the shape is not bad just very little of it. If I stand sideways I used to look like the prow if a ship not it's hard to tell when the jelly belly ends and the boobs start smile

enriquetheringbearinglizard Thu 30-Jan-14 12:56:03

It is exciting isn't it grin are we becoming crazy bra ladies too I wonder?

Just a bit of feedback. I tried both ringing and live chat on the website with brastop yesterday, no joy. Tried live chat this morning, no one available and emailed them in the end. Got an automated email back saying how busy they are and that they aim to respond within THREE working days hmm

Had another go at the Fauve Veronique balconette today and it fits much better. Maybe my technique is improving?
Love the Tiffany bra but have concluded it really is a weeny bit too small, so it will have to go back too.

My massive order hasn't fared very well at all, but then again, having tried all these styles and knowing what I know now, I wouldn't have ordered some of them.

enriquetheringbearinglizard Thu 30-Jan-14 16:30:18

Update: finally got through on the phone and the lady I spoke to was absolutely charming. She went and checked to make sure stock was in the warehouse and not just showing on the website.

Can I just check something...tried some bras on 30 felt like I was being strangled 32 felt better but cup wise E and F still had under arm spillage bigger cup size does that mean?? I tried to scoop but not really anything happened! Apart from my tea bags smile I pretty much all bones it's lower down thing get 'loose' wink

enriquetheringbearinglizard Sun 02-Feb-14 09:53:42

Morning Carrie, a bra lady will no doubt be along, but did you try them on at first back to front, no arms through the straps, just to check the bands and did you try different makes
You can see I've been tutored can't you smile

Carrie I think you need more cup space and that is probably why the 30 felt too tight also

Ooh thank you, I just had a child free half hour before a meeting -- on-- my day off so whipped into m and a on the way tried a few on quickly. Going to try again today but with dc in tow no chance wink

TulipOHare Sun 02-Feb-14 11:11:47

Can I thread-crash to say that after lurking on the bra threads, and having always though I was a 34B or 36B, I tried some new sizes and have FINALLY succeeded (it took a lot of trial and error).

This week I bought three bras in 32D (!!!) and they fit amazingly shock

THIS one is the best and was only £4.99. This store still has quite a few bras in its sale at rock-bottom prices, mainly in 30 / 32 back sizes, but some larger too. Just thought I would point it out for anyone wanting to try new sizes cheaply!

enriquetheringbearinglizard Wed 05-Feb-14 15:30:50

Tulip I've bookmarked that site as there may be something there for my DD, if I can ever get her to measure herself properly.

I got the exchanges from brastop today and all the stuff I sent back refunded. Am pleased with the Lepel purchases actually as they really fit true to size for me.
Of course, just as I've completed a big order, they have an extra discount for today and tomorrow on selected styles.

TulipOHare Wed 05-Feb-14 23:31:17

I bought another two from there this week. All five are peeeeerfect. I'm so happy.

BirthdayMuppet Thu 06-Feb-14 09:29:42

Don't worry about massive orders and sending stuff back. I spent something like £800+ on 30+ odd bras in 5-6 orders after sorting out my intervention, and kept only four of them. Four!!! It's a long process when you change size so dramatically (36F to 30HH!), worse than jeans shopping for me, and that's saying something!

SoulJacker Thu 06-Feb-14 09:53:42

I spent 3 hours in Bravissimo at the weekend and came away with 2 bras, same style, one nude, one black. Such hard work!

Has anyone any experience of the Patsy bra?

I was in between cup sizes at a 30 so it was suggested I try a 28 and that was perfect apart from it being slightly tight around the band. The assistant suggested that this brand stretched a bit so could be fine after wear but wasn't sure whether to risk it or not?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now