Having trouble working out my colours, anyone want to try?

(64 Posts)
MarvellousMechanicalMouseOrgan Sun 26-Jan-14 12:19:00

Have been looking at the online questionnaires, but I'm struggling!

My hair is mousey (dyed a bit darker and redder at the moment), but hairdresser tells me it has warm tones. I'm not convinced, to me it looks very flat, but I guess they know better than me!
Eyes are greeny blue, with yellowy/white lines in the iris. In some lights my eyes look bright turquoise. I have a couple of goldy brown flecks.
Skin has pink tones, I think. At least I have rosey cheeks. I tan a golden colour, but burn first. Definitely not olivey.
Eyebrows are mousey and blonde, not red or dark.

Colours I look terrible in: bright pillarbox red, orange. (I thought I looked terrible in yellow but it's occurred to me it's so long since I've bought yellow I may not actually know.)
Colours I look good in: pale rose pink, mint green, electric blue (that Yves Klein colour), silver grey.

Jewellery wise, not a clue. Tried both gold and silver by my face this morning and couldn't distinguish which was better.

Any ideas?

FrugalFashionista Wed 05-Feb-14 11:15:21

I'm still not 100% sold on the style day. I speak many languages; I live in two countries; I have a dozen signature perfumes. I like fiction and nonfiction, renaissance art and abstract expressionism. So why should I have just one basic clothing style? My style choices are influenced by where I am, what I do and who I am with. High fashion works well in a cocktail party but not at all in the park with toddlers when it's raining. I think getting dressed is also creative self-expression. I enjoy sleek and severe Scandinavian minimalism when I'm there, Valentino-type romantic stuff in the summer in Rome and casual menswear-inspired outfits when I'm at home. What I love about Italy is stylistic fluidity and versatility - they do formal and semi-formal really well, but also have great weekend wardrobes that are more laid-back and trendy.

But yes, the style day will probably be helpful for people who have no clue, want to simplify their wardrobe or start from scratch.

claudeekishi Wed 05-Feb-14 11:17:24

I am really interested to hear that you've been diagnosed as a Winter, Marvellous. Your descriptions about your colouring sound quite similar to mine and although I've always been instinctively drawn to Clear Winter colours (and get complimented when I wear them), a lot in the online questionnaires has thrown me off. Eg I have definite warm tones in my natural hair colour, I have that goldy sunburst thing around my pupil, and lots of freckles. But my colouring is definitely definitely cool and pinky. I was beginning to think that I might be some kind of Summer, but this still doesn't feel quite right. So I think I'll continue to take Hopefully's advice and stick with the colour palette I feel drawn to.

Disclaimer for Hopefully and Travel -- I do totally think that it's money well spent getting an official diagnosis and am itching to do so -- but I don't live in the UK and would not trust the equivalents here! However I am encouraging all of my UK-based friends to go for it smile

MarvellousMechanicalMouseOrgan Wed 05-Feb-14 11:40:25

I'm a Jewel Winter, claude, if that helps you any further.

Anyone here worn the HOC mineral foundation? I liked it, but have loads of my current one left to use up first.

Anyone here steadfastly avoid certain colours in their palette, or do you wear all of them?

Need to find a Winter thread to hang out with, but a quick look makes me think the Spring lot are the most proactive on MN.

MarvellousMechanicalMouseOrgan Wed 05-Feb-14 11:42:16

Frugal, I LOVE severe Scandinavian minimalism, but am finding that a lot of clothes like that don't suit my shape (porkish and short). grin

FrugalFashionista Wed 05-Feb-14 12:46:14

Marvellous anything slouchy or oversized looks terrible on me, I look like a beggar. The opposite, cropped jeans and trousers is also a total no-no with my frame. I'm a bit skeletal middlelife spread helps so anything very boxy is verboten too.

So I guess personal style is all about understanding one's limitations and highlighting the best bits. For me, it's compromises between what I would love to wear and what actually looks good on me and what I feel comfortable in...

MarvellousMechanicalMouseOrgan Wed 05-Feb-14 13:12:28

Tricky, isn't it? That Scandinavian thing with neutrals and no pattern looks so edgy and cool to me, pah. I do like the vintagey thing like Ms Allsop but that tends to be very patterned and I'm not sure I'm able to carry it off anyway.

I like Great Plains clothes but they're hopeless in my colours.

I'm not prepared to accept that it's Next or M&S or nudity!

LittleBabyPigsus Thu 06-Feb-14 02:26:21

claude you sound very similar in colouring to me and I am definitely a winter. 12seasons (or whatever the name is, 12categories?) classes bright winters as a neutral, which is me.

Marvellous I too love the edgy Scandi look but am also short and stocky, sigh. I find that a vintage shape with either bold solid colours or a bigger, very simple pattern is best. Eg a 50s type frock in plain cobalt blue, or in a large navy gingham (for example). Boden do plain but bright dresses well, I think. I think part of having the right colours is that what looks odd on paper works on you. My best colours look really clownish on paper, but look great on me and really light me up from within. My mum is a soft summer and her colours look quite drab on paper eg olive green, but look pretty and radiant on her.

goodasitgets Thu 06-Feb-14 02:58:51

Could I tag on and ask if anyone can help with my colours?
I can post a pic if it helps. Pale skin (lighter than MAC NW20), green eyes that sometimes have flecks of gold/brown, natural redhead. Freckles, burn at glimpse of sun, tan only on arms grin

LittleBabyPigsus Thu 06-Feb-14 04:21:16

good do you have a warm, cool, or neutral skin tone? Skin tone matters more than hair and eye colour. It sounds like you might be a summer since you probably have a cool skin tone.

goodasitgets Thu 06-Feb-14 12:56:43

I would have said cool I think. I wear a lot of silver jewellery but then gold and bronze eyeshadow look good!
This is daylight pic, no foundation (not natural hair colour)

You have beautiful skin! But no way of diagnosing a season without draping. Best way is just to pick whichever one you are drawn to, and stick to that. Your brows are warm and hair cool at the moment.

goodasitgets Thu 06-Feb-14 13:21:01

Thank you - used to suffer really badly with skin. Have caroline hirons to thank for that!!
I'm a weird hybrid of colours grin am about to go back red brunette for a change

LittleBabyPigsus Fri 07-Feb-14 04:12:29

I would say you're cool toned - you can have some warmth to your hair and still be a cool season btw.

whereisshe Fri 07-Feb-14 06:38:59

goodasitgets I would say cool too (winter or summer). The easiest way to tell is with black - summers look a bit haggard in black but it really suits winters.

Marvellous I'm a winter too! There is a winter thread running, you might have found it already. My go to place for minimal Scandi chic (which I love too) is asos - they have quite a few Scandi brands. And I live in the neutral colours on the palette, the bright ones scare me (I'm willing to buy those as scarves only!)..

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now