Having trouble working out my colours, anyone want to try?

(64 Posts)
MarvellousMechanicalMouseOrgan Sun 26-Jan-14 12:19:00

Have been looking at the online questionnaires, but I'm struggling!

My hair is mousey (dyed a bit darker and redder at the moment), but hairdresser tells me it has warm tones. I'm not convinced, to me it looks very flat, but I guess they know better than me!
Eyes are greeny blue, with yellowy/white lines in the iris. In some lights my eyes look bright turquoise. I have a couple of goldy brown flecks.
Skin has pink tones, I think. At least I have rosey cheeks. I tan a golden colour, but burn first. Definitely not olivey.
Eyebrows are mousey and blonde, not red or dark.

Colours I look terrible in: bright pillarbox red, orange. (I thought I looked terrible in yellow but it's occurred to me it's so long since I've bought yellow I may not actually know.)
Colours I look good in: pale rose pink, mint green, electric blue (that Yves Klein colour), silver grey.

Jewellery wise, not a clue. Tried both gold and silver by my face this morning and couldn't distinguish which was better.

Any ideas?

hollyisalovelyname Mon 27-Jan-14 00:01:36

Surely the colour of your hair now influences what coours suit you ? Your hair, skintone and eyes.

LittleBabyPigsus Mon 27-Jan-14 07:22:54

Hair colour isn't taken into account by HoC consultants but is by CMB.

MissScatterbrain Mon 27-Jan-14 07:39:12

Your hair colour isn't taken into account when being diagnosed at HOC (dyed hair is usually covered) but they do advise you on what colours you should be looking at if you dye it.

MarvellousMechanicalMouseOrgan Mon 27-Jan-14 08:56:35

This is all good!

Hopefully Mon 27-Jan-14 09:24:19

We cover hair when doing the analysis if it's coloured (at HoC) - given the choice between matching an artificial hair colour or a natural skin tone, we'd rather make the latter look amazing. Hair colour can easily be shifted a bit warmer or a bit cooler to make it fit in better with the colours that make your skin look amazing, if necessary. It's not about the consultant announcing you can only be blonde/brunette or whatever from here on in. I had a blue spring a while back who had violet and aqua hair. Toned in beautifully with her colours!

vitaminC Mon 27-Jan-14 14:21:32

I think you sound like a light spring/borderline light summer.

Have you tried this test?

The pink t-shirt you linked to was a warm, corally pink, not a cool pink, so I would think you are more likely a spring than a summer, but it's a spectrum, so you could be right on the border between the two!

hollyisalovelyname Mon 27-Jan-14 15:40:59

But your hair is such a big factor in hiw you look - a very dominating part of your appearance.

MarvellousMechanicalMouseOrgan Mon 27-Jan-14 16:04:22

On that test I think I'm a cool soft/muted.

Hopefully Mon 27-Jan-14 16:15:48

It is Holly, but it doesn't affect which colours make your skin tone look the best, iykwim. A lot of clients choose to slightly shift their hair colour after their analysis, to be either warmer or cooler, but all that means is it harmonises with their natural colouring rather than working against it.

MissScatterbrain Mon 27-Jan-14 17:43:49

Re the hair thing - imagine how Anne Hathaway would look if she had warm colour added to her hair. The same goes for make up - she looks best with cool based make up.

LittleBabyPigsus Tue 28-Jan-14 00:30:13

Yes - hair colour doesn't change your skin tone. And remember that for most people hair colour changes naturally over their lifetime, to white or grey. Doesn't change their season (although iirc it can change which category of a season they fall into, though that might just be CMB - eg deep winters often go for cool winter colours as their hair goes white/grey).

MissScatterbrain Tue 28-Jan-14 07:13:56

Little - under HOC your sub season can change as you age which is why they offer rerate sessions. I know my best colours have certainly changed over the past 20 years as I no longer can do some of the jewels colours as well as I used to.

MarvellousMechanicalMouseOrgan Tue 04-Feb-14 16:04:48

Got colours done yesterday and turns out I'm a Winter!

Also turns out I do suit burgundy, I just don't like it. blush

Still a bit confused as to what happens when I get a tan, but am emboldened by my swatch wallet.

DramaAlpaca Tue 04-Feb-14 22:56:40

Wow a winter! We all got it wrong didn't we grin

Hope you have fun shopping with your swatch wallet.

LittleBabyPigsus Wed 05-Feb-14 03:05:45

Marvellous black and latina women can be winters so I don't think it'd change when you tan. America Ferrara (Betty in Ugly Betty) is an example. It's about having contrast in your skin/eyes.

MarvellousMechanicalMouseOrgan Wed 05-Feb-14 08:18:34

Well, I don't think I have much contrast, but she started from 'bright' (I think) ie my eye colour and then a cool skin colour. Winter was the season I'd ruled out first on the questionnaires.

Very grateful I can still wear charcoal grey and black as at least they're easily found.

My ** colours at 100% are Charcoal, Indigo, Electric Blue, Lobelia, Raspberry, Dark Emerald and, ahem, Burgundy.

A lot of your double stars are the same as mine OP - good set of colours! There is a winter thread on here which is great for make up reccs.

MarvellousMechanicalMouseOrgan Wed 05-Feb-14 08:59:57

Thanks Amber. Where do you buy clothes from? I love the ease of searching by colour on Kettlewell, but I don't like many of their clothes.

FrugalFashionista Wed 05-Feb-14 09:47:23

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

FrugalFashionista Wed 05-Feb-14 09:49:14

Sorry OP, you got your verdict already! Congratulations, Winter colors are great!

MarvellousMechanicalMouseOrgan Wed 05-Feb-14 09:53:57

Am adjusting to the idea of them. Apart from the green and blue, I do feel they're a bit bold and contrasting, for me wearing contrasting colours with accessories feels very 80s.

Aquelven Wed 05-Feb-14 10:25:10

Congratulations! Winters have some stunning colours, shopping should be easier now. I got you completely wrong!

FrugalFashionista. I was fascinated reading your post as I seem to be coming at virtually the same point from the other direction. I'm a Blue Spring. Like yours, my skin is very pale & neutral, any foundation that has yellow in it,no matter how light, makes me look jaundiced. I also suit many of the lighter shades from the Summer palette, especially the blue toned lavenders & pale blues, though baby pink is really good & not on the HoC spring swatch where they are mostly coral toned. I look awful in the tans/orangey/ yellows that are in my swatch & they are very low rated for me. My best neutrals are at the other end, pale grey, light navy. Black & white is also the worst combination I can wear. My consultant didn't really go into contrast but it was a busy day as there were a few others there that day. I'm wondering if that means I should avoid high contrast too.
I too was blonde as a child & still am, a very, very light neutral/white blonde, where your eyes veer towards warm mine do the opposite, being a bright turquoise.
Like you, I was sure I'd be a summer or spring though I was pretty certain it would be summer ( wrong!!). You're so right about it being impossible to self diagnose if you are at all neutral.

Interesting about the contrast. Some seasons are more high contrast than others, (Winter and Spring), but that doesn't actually mean that the look that will suit you is high contrast, as it's often a style thing.

So, although I'm a Summer, wearing 5 muted, blended colours together really doesn't suit my look - I am better in bright and bold colours, so for example, I wear blue grey or purple with cherry red, or navy with winter white, for a high contrast look.

I would recommend getting to grips with colour first, before you do your style day though. Just be sure not to buy anything that isn't really 'you', even though it's your colours.

FrugalFashionista Wed 05-Feb-14 10:43:06

Great Aquelven if you found my long-winded post helpful! wink Self-diagnosis is straightforward if someone is a textbook case but many of us are not!

You can think through the contrast issue if you take a b&w photo of yourself (easy with any photo editing software). Are there clear contrasts or is it just a mass of grays with very little tonal differences? Sarah Jessica Parker and Ellen Pompeo are classic low-contrast types.

Low contrast means that my b&w is soft white and taupe wink Understanding this has transformed my wardrobe and I'm now totally comfortable with a largely neutral everyday wardrobe. I feel this is my authentic self and I can go easy on makeup. Post color analysis, many women go OTT with brights lipstick and clownish color combinations and I did that too, but it's really hard to look chic in aqua turquoise. I still do dramatic high-impact brights in the summer and for parties and other occasions where I want to stand out, but finding the perfect neutrals is much comfier for day to day dressing...

MarvellousMechanicalMouseOrgan Wed 05-Feb-14 10:48:40

I'm not going to do a style day, I'm happy with my style choices, it was just colour I wanted a hand with as I felt I was looking so tired all the time. Note taken about not buying something that 'isn't me' just because it's the right colour.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now