Am I alone in really disliking animal print?

(296 Posts)
escargot Thu 23-Jan-14 16:28:29

I really, really dislike it. I'm happy to see it on others but I just can't see myself in it. I got given a lovely Lola Rose scarf for my birthday but it's an animal print design so I'll never wear it.

FuckingWankwings Thu 30-Jan-14 14:59:32

Quite. And judging by the amount of faux fur and animal print around, if there is a demand issue then the demand is for the fake stuff that's produced in such huge quantities.

PrimalLass Wed 29-Jan-14 19:37:42

it's giving a message that people want to wear animals that are endangered.

No, I just like the pattern. I definitely would not want to wear real fur.

FuckingWankwings Wed 29-Jan-14 09:25:11

Axe, I think that's a very tenuous argument. If anything, surely it means that people are wearing fake because they don't want to wear real?

But really, I suspect that the issue of real/fake doesn't even enter a lot of people's heads. Personally I just think of animal prints as nice prints/colours, just like a stripe or a floral print or whatever.

HugoTheHippo Wed 29-Jan-14 09:15:38

I like animal print, but my husband hates it. We've made a deal that I won't wear animal print if he won't wear pink shirts - works for us!

Floisme Wed 29-Jan-14 07:14:34

I'm not a huge fan of animal print but I adore Bet Lynch smile

Chottie Wed 29-Jan-14 05:00:41

I dislike animal prints intensely too. They just scream Bet Lynch to me.

EugenesAxe Wed 29-Jan-14 04:58:43

Wankwings - kind of like I said; it's giving a message that people want to wear animals that are endangered. Although I'm aware that things like zebra & probably crocodile aren't endangered. It's just potential fuel to the illegal poaching fire.

KatnipEvergreen Tue 28-Jan-14 09:59:07

Two words: BET LYNCH. (Not you, Plum, btw, you look lovely).

That's what animal print means to me, so it's not my style. Too vampy.

I have a pink leopard-print dressing gown, but I think dressing gowns are allowed to be loud and naff. Other than that, I don't do animal print.

FuckingWankwings Tue 28-Jan-14 09:49:34

'inappropriate' hmm In what way, Axe?

EugenesAxe Tue 28-Jan-14 06:38:56

No - it's tacky and inappropriate, especially if it mimics hide of an endangered species. I know we wear cow but I see that as not wasting resources we have at our disposal anyway.

Snowdown Tue 28-Jan-14 06:22:48

I like a bit of animal print...it's lace I'm not too keen on.

mathanxiety Tue 28-Jan-14 05:00:05

SirChenjin, I just got your name.

<neither here nor there>

Bonsoir Mon 27-Jan-14 11:21:25

PlumSykes - I too have a fake fur coat that attracts little girls! It's a magnet in the playground!

PlumSykes Mon 27-Jan-14 11:19:35

Two little girls stroked me in the playground. I like being The Leopard Lady.

bunnymother Mon 27-Jan-14 11:16:11

High fives gorgeous Plum - I am wearing my leopard print coat today, too. The DDs were delighted and DD1 has asked to have it when she is bigger.

Mrsap Mon 27-Jan-14 11:15:21

Just realised I have no animal print on today either. Will rectify that as soon as I go out again.

Love, cats bum mouth. I know so many people who have that down to a fine art. grin

Bonsoir Mon 27-Jan-14 11:01:31

DD has to have a plain navy coat for school (any make) with no logos etc. She is, however, allowed free rein as to the colour of her scarf.

We cheated a bit this year and she has a navy coat with a leopard-print collar. It's very sweet!

FuckingWankwings Mon 27-Jan-14 11:00:00

It's got quite cats-bum-mouth on here, hasn't it?

Who'd have thunk a bit of animal print would inspire such judgypant-hoicking.

I think the opinion that animal print is trashy, tarty or vulgar is very old-fashioned. It went mainstream and workwear ages ago.

DISCLAIMER I know there are trashy animal-print items available. But there are trashy items of all kinds available.

Plum, I like your coat!

I haven't got any on today, actually. <<lets side down>>

PlumSykes Mon 27-Jan-14 10:53:13

I thought of you all when I put my coat on this morning.

She loves animal print, bless her - she is mooching in her cow print pyjamas as we speak. I draw the line at red crimplene though.

BanoffeeSplitz Sun 26-Jan-14 22:24:55

Hmm - don't mind leopard if it's worn vintage style, like a big coat.
Not keen on fussy little bits of yellow / brown leopard (shoes, scarves, bits of bra, anything with a bow or velvet trim) - makes me think of Theresa May.

MarshaBrady Sun 26-Jan-14 19:27:13

So op, I take it you'll be buying this outfit grin

Eliza22 Sun 26-Jan-14 18:45:38

Erm, not for me Amber but then! you'd probably not like what I like to wear. I will never wear animal print.

missmartha Sun 26-Jan-14 16:22:58

Ooooh rosegoldruby, you're right and i have one word for you….

MUSTARD.

escargot Sun 26-Jan-14 16:08:36

*red, not ed blush

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now