Am I alone in really disliking animal print?

(296 Posts)
escargot Thu 23-Jan-14 16:28:29

I really, really dislike it. I'm happy to see it on others but I just can't see myself in it. I got given a lovely Lola Rose scarf for my birthday but it's an animal print design so I'll never wear it.

BanoffeeSplitz Sun 26-Jan-14 22:24:55

Hmm - don't mind leopard if it's worn vintage style, like a big coat.
Not keen on fussy little bits of yellow / brown leopard (shoes, scarves, bits of bra, anything with a bow or velvet trim) - makes me think of Theresa May.

She loves animal print, bless her - she is mooching in her cow print pyjamas as we speak. I draw the line at red crimplene though.

PlumSykes Mon 27-Jan-14 10:53:13

I thought of you all when I put my coat on this morning.

FuckingWankwings Mon 27-Jan-14 11:00:00

It's got quite cats-bum-mouth on here, hasn't it?

Who'd have thunk a bit of animal print would inspire such judgypant-hoicking.

I think the opinion that animal print is trashy, tarty or vulgar is very old-fashioned. It went mainstream and workwear ages ago.

DISCLAIMER I know there are trashy animal-print items available. But there are trashy items of all kinds available.

Plum, I like your coat!

I haven't got any on today, actually. <<lets side down>>

Bonsoir Mon 27-Jan-14 11:01:31

DD has to have a plain navy coat for school (any make) with no logos etc. She is, however, allowed free rein as to the colour of her scarf.

We cheated a bit this year and she has a navy coat with a leopard-print collar. It's very sweet!

Mrsap Mon 27-Jan-14 11:15:21

Just realised I have no animal print on today either. Will rectify that as soon as I go out again.

Love, cats bum mouth. I know so many people who have that down to a fine art. grin

bunnymother Mon 27-Jan-14 11:16:11

High fives gorgeous Plum - I am wearing my leopard print coat today, too. The DDs were delighted and DD1 has asked to have it when she is bigger.

PlumSykes Mon 27-Jan-14 11:19:35

Two little girls stroked me in the playground. I like being The Leopard Lady.

Bonsoir Mon 27-Jan-14 11:21:25

PlumSykes - I too have a fake fur coat that attracts little girls! It's a magnet in the playground!

mathanxiety Tue 28-Jan-14 05:00:05

SirChenjin, I just got your name.

<neither here nor there>

Snowdown Tue 28-Jan-14 06:22:48

I like a bit of animal print...it's lace I'm not too keen on.

EugenesAxe Tue 28-Jan-14 06:38:56

No - it's tacky and inappropriate, especially if it mimics hide of an endangered species. I know we wear cow but I see that as not wasting resources we have at our disposal anyway.

FuckingWankwings Tue 28-Jan-14 09:49:34

'inappropriate' hmm In what way, Axe?

KatnipEvergreen Tue 28-Jan-14 09:59:07

Two words: BET LYNCH. (Not you, Plum, btw, you look lovely).

That's what animal print means to me, so it's not my style. Too vampy.

I have a pink leopard-print dressing gown, but I think dressing gowns are allowed to be loud and naff. Other than that, I don't do animal print.

EugenesAxe Wed 29-Jan-14 04:58:43

Wankwings - kind of like I said; it's giving a message that people want to wear animals that are endangered. Although I'm aware that things like zebra & probably crocodile aren't endangered. It's just potential fuel to the illegal poaching fire.

Chottie Wed 29-Jan-14 05:00:41

I dislike animal prints intensely too. They just scream Bet Lynch to me.

Floisme Wed 29-Jan-14 07:14:34

I'm not a huge fan of animal print but I adore Bet Lynch smile

HugoTheHippo Wed 29-Jan-14 09:15:38

I like animal print, but my husband hates it. We've made a deal that I won't wear animal print if he won't wear pink shirts - works for us!

FuckingWankwings Wed 29-Jan-14 09:25:11

Axe, I think that's a very tenuous argument. If anything, surely it means that people are wearing fake because they don't want to wear real?

But really, I suspect that the issue of real/fake doesn't even enter a lot of people's heads. Personally I just think of animal prints as nice prints/colours, just like a stripe or a floral print or whatever.

PrimalLass Wed 29-Jan-14 19:37:42

it's giving a message that people want to wear animals that are endangered.

No, I just like the pattern. I definitely would not want to wear real fur.

FuckingWankwings Thu 30-Jan-14 14:59:32

Quite. And judging by the amount of faux fur and animal print around, if there is a demand issue then the demand is for the fake stuff that's produced in such huge quantities.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now