Bra intervention urgently needed!

(23 Posts)
HeadFullofSteam Thu 23-Jan-14 12:05:39

Could one of you wise b.i.ladies help me out? I measured myself before as advised on MN - can't remember exactly what size I came out at but I went to Debenhams subesquently and ended up buying a 36GG. I think I measured a much smaller cup but when I tried them on they would not even look at me. The 36GG fits okayish but feels quite tight round the band and there is a bit of -ahem- spillage. My boobs are very full and heavy and really need to be well hoiked up or my waist goes AWOL.

So I have remeasured - I am 32/43. What size should I be wearing? I need to buy a bra to go under a dress for something next week and will have to order online. Any suggestions about make of bra to go for would be great. Thank you.

HazleNutt Thu 23-Jan-14 12:40:49

you measure about 32H. If you are spilling out of 36GG and back is tight, I would generally advise to go up a few cup sizes, as 32H would then also be to small. But is it Deenhamns Gorgeous? Those apparently come up small in both back and cup, so you might still be ok in 32H.

Check that the website offers free returns and delivery and order several in 32H and also a couple of cup sizes bigger to try.

I'd stick with well known brands like for example Freya, Fantasie or Panache. Fauve is good for hoiking everything up, but pricey. Curvy Kate will also have your boobs under your chin, but I find that they tend to have very soft backs, so stretch quickly and won't offer as good support.

HeadFullofSteam Thu 23-Jan-14 13:08:15

Thanks for that. I have just put a 36GG on and it feels not as tight as it had been - suspect perimenopausal bloating is going on confused It is a Debenhams Gorgeous bra so may try them in a 32/34H and will order a couple of other styles/sizes as well. Would not mind spending a bit more for one that actually fits!

HazleNutt Thu 23-Jan-14 13:23:37

You need to go up a cup size if you go down a back - 34H is the same cup size as 36GG. As overspill means that the GG is already too small, so for 34 you would also need bigger than H.

HeadFullofSteam Thu 23-Jan-14 13:35:02

The one I have on just now (36GG) is same style as this www.debenhams.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/prod_10701_10001_150010134163_-1
Today it feels firm round the band but not uncomfortably tight. I have the straps at their longest, and there is no spillage but the cups do look too big - they are a bit loose around the top of the cup.
So, given that it is almost a fit, do you think a 32/24H is still the way to go? (at least as a starting point)

SorrelForbes Thu 23-Jan-14 14:16:10

That link doesn't work for me I'm afraid. Is it a moulded bra? They can be difficult to fit and often gape at the top of the cup. Look for a balconette shape instead.

measuring 32 it's highly unlikely you need a 36. Like Stats and Hazle I'd estimate a 32H and probably a HH (if not a J!)

HeadFullofSteam Thu 23-Jan-14 14:37:22

Thanks SF, it is a Gorgeous full cup non-underwired bra, not moulded, I would say that it is more of a balconette shape.

I think I will try and go shopping at the weekend so I can try a range of sizes on and then maybe if I can get one that does me for when I need it next week, I can order a few online to try out.

Any views on whether padded/moulded/non-padded give the best shape? I had been wearing moulded padded bras before but the last couple I have had are not padded.

Head at that size you neeed wires for support ime. In terms of support what sort of shape are your boobs.

HeadFullofSteam Thu 23-Jan-14 15:39:49

Ooh, don't know will have to go away and have a look. They are very full, heavy but not too saggy - nips still point straight ahead!

SorrelForbes Thu 23-Jan-14 16:06:06

Yep, I think wires are going to be a must.

What shops have you got near you? Bravissimo? JL, HoF?

Sorry to crash the thread but I'm going on my first weekend without kids and all my bras are older than my eldest who was born around the millennium shock

I've been trying to work out my norkage from the old intervention threads. I'm 31 and 34.5 - I worked out 30D. Am I right?

Sorry, we're going to Paris and I'm ashamed of my saggy norks!

SorrelForbes Thu 23-Jan-14 16:20:04

Yep, try a 30D/DD and a 32C/D. I suspect a 30DD might hit the mark in many brands. Have you got a Bravissimo near by?

Thank you mighty Sorrell. No there isn't hmm HoF, Debenhams, small boutiques with flimsy doilies.

HeadFullofSteam Thu 23-Jan-14 17:57:23

I've only really got a Debenhams near me - and an M & S but they have hideously mis-measured me in the past so won't go there. Or "doilie boutiques" as they shall now forever be known smile

I will go to Debenhams and try on some underwired balcony types in various sizes and take it from there.

Have a great weekend in Paris in your lovely new underwear Tea!

HeadFull try to try on brands other than gorgeous - debenhams generally do lots of freya and fantasie which can be prettyu good.

HeadFullofSteam Thu 23-Jan-14 19:52:08

Will do, I have had Freya bras before and liked them. Thanks!

I tried Debenhams. 'Twas very traumatic. They tried to measure me and do a wrong fitting so I grumped off. Went to a flimsy doillie shop and I now have matching bras and pants [proud]. Some of them are proper bras.

I am a 32E. Thank you Sorrell.

Erm. I didn't know that one wasn't meant to get ones norks out. Poor young glamorous lady in the shop took a sharp intake of breath when I presented myself for checking <sigh>

Anyway me and my rack are off to Paris and DH will be able to rest his Pastis on me.

Hope you too get sorted OPgrin

I measured wrong. I was 37 around the nipples wink

Debenhams fitting is ropey - a few stores doing it right, a lot doing it wrong. They sell a good range though

HeadFullofSteam Thu 23-Jan-14 22:34:02

Aagh Tea don't know what image has disturbed me more. Bon voyage!

Mange Tout Head, mange tout wink

hiphipreplacement Fri 24-Jan-14 00:03:39

Where do you work out what size you are please?

Thebetterbracampaign.blogspot.co.uk tge fitting advice section

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now