Embracing my curls

(135 Posts)
Bumbolina Thu 23-Jan-14 07:06:46

I've got wavy/curly hair if I leave it to dry with a bit of mousse. I like it and would like to embrace my curls - what can I do to encourage them? I have days when they curl brilliantly and others where they barely kink!

I've been reading stuff online and a couple of websites have suggested not shampooing...?

CoteDAzur Thu 06-Feb-14 23:32:49

Solo - I'm not judging (truly) but I have to say that I am a bit sad for a little girl whose hair is always in plaits and gets washed only once every 2-3 weeks.

Solo Fri 07-Feb-14 00:02:01

It certainly feels like judgement from here! if you had my daughters hair, I think you would be plaiting her hair daily too, especially as she wants long hair. It's practical and tidy. I know that brushing curly hair makes it frizzy (I've had many arguments with my own Mum about that as she's a big fan of soap and water/brushing hair 100 times each night ~ you get the picture...Victorian type!), but plaiting takes that away. When I was working, I had to plait her hair before she went to bed for school the next day or she would've looked a complete mess for school.
If I wasn't keeping my child clean, I could understand you thinking whatever it is you're thinking, but she is clean; I don't leave her hair for months on end; I wash it when it needs to be washed...usually every fortnight and you know what? the water is hardly ever dark/grey/brown to indicate dirty hair.
I understand why you might think that everyone should wash their/their childrens hair all the time, but it is not my view.

Do I need to be on the lookout for child welfare at the front door?!wink

mathanxiety Fri 07-Feb-14 03:13:31

It's just the concept that is like topiary. The shape you end up with doesn't have to resemble shrubbery. Cutting straight across while dry is what I do with DD3's hair. With DD2 I cut some layers while dry. I do my own too, using a mirror attached to the shower curtain behind me and the mirror over the sink in front, and always dry.

I must confess I am shock that water would ever be dark/grey/brown when anyone's hair was washed.

CoteDAzur Fri 07-Feb-14 09:24:33

My hair is really long so I let the hairdresser trim its length.

Then I cut into my hair at home, when clean and dry, to give it volume & bounce in the right places.

I have never seen mine or the children's bath water turn grey, brown, or black after washing hair and I'm really surprised that you think hair isn't dirty unless that happens.

Solo Fri 07-Feb-14 10:04:51

I think that has occurred once, just once and that was after she was ill, sweaty etc. I remember pointing it out to her.
Over washing hair takes away all the natural oils.

I know what you mean by 'topiary' type cutting. I watched a youtube tutorial about it and that hairdresser left her daughters hair loose and it was shoulder length (when dry)...plus she was about 2yo.
For us right now, it's about keeping Dd's hair tidy and out of her face.

Let's just agree to disagree shall we? seems the best thing to do as we will probably never agree smile but thank you for your opinions and tips.

ProjectGainsborough Tue 11-Feb-14 12:46:21

Just reviving this thread to say I have FINALLY managed to get an appt with Matthew James in Bham in early March. He is a popular man! Scarlett I will report back.

Also seeing a huge reduction in frizz after DIY-ing an avocado and olive oil mask last night.

mathanxiety Tue 11-Feb-14 14:30:31

A quick question for people who do masks like that -- do you not get smelly and blocked drains?

CoteDAzur Tue 11-Feb-14 14:40:41

I'm curious, too.

I'm also puzzled by the idea of hair masks. Hair is made up of dead cells, so can't benefit from fruits or whatever, contrary to skin for example which you can argue does benefit from a face mask.

So I don't get how a hair mask is supposed to nourish hair. Surely if hair is less fizzy & shiny as a result, it's because some of the oil in the mask is still on the hair?

ProjectGainsborough Wed 12-Feb-14 11:00:43

Probably cote - I would assume conditioner works in the same way. Avocados are fatty, so I guess you could consider them an oil too.(Although don't protein masks claim to penetrate the shaft?)

In terms of drains, this is the first time I've done one, so I will report back in time! TBH, though, the mask is liquid (needs to be blended in the whizzer) so I would imagine it washes away in the same way that any conditioner is washed down the drain. As long as your water pressure is decent and you clean the bath, I would have thought it would be ok.

CoteDAzur Wed 12-Feb-14 16:28:57

" protein masks claim to penetrate the shaft?"

And do what when they get there? Hair cells are dead. It's not like they can grow/replenish/get healthier when 'fed' protein [puzzled]

I'm always a bit hmm when asked if I want a mask at hairdressers. It feels like a con - overpriced conditioner left on your hair for 10 minutes so they can charge you as much as for a haircut.

I use hair conditioner in the shower to comb through my hair (with fingers) and then use the cream I mentioned downthread to define curls and then a tiny bit of silicon serum to zapp fizziness when hair is completely dry.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now