How to make a bob look less mumsy?

(37 Posts)
gruffalosmile Wed 22-Jan-14 23:27:27

Have spent about 2 painful years growing out a short layered crop to a chin length bob, no layers as I found that the layers were going all sticky-outy and driving me mad. But now I have this smooth bob I feel it looks so mumsy. Looks okay when first washed but not for long. My hair is very thick with a slight wave, but it will blow dry smooth. I hate the stacked bob look short at the back. I;m worried if I have layers cut back in it will go all fly away and unmanageable again. I don't want to go short and choppy again either! Any ideas? Thanks!

Colinbakergotfat Sat 25-Jan-14 18:05:03

Ok not strictly speaking but I am trying to channel my sister in law's awful bob which is a jaw length version. You must know the frumpy bob I am trying to evoke - thin hair, fringe cut far too far round the face and bad colour. Frumpy bobs do exist.

ExcuseTypos Sat 25-Jan-14 12:22:16

Sorry that should be- this is how I get mine cut, I don't wear it like that as it would annoy me, being on my face.

ExcuseTypos Sat 25-Jan-14 12:21:19

I have a bob without a fringe. I don't suit fringes- I look about 12grin

www.hairstylesmagazine.org/hairstyles/medium-length-hairstyles/medium-length-hairstyles-picture-0069.html

This is how I wear mine, but a bit shorter and I usually tuck it behind my ears. For nights out I do a bit of back combing on the crown. It gives it some height and looks really elegant.

That Angela Merkel haircut is not a bob.

I had mine re-cut into a bob just above the chin the other day. I have mumsy risk factors - toddler, bump, harried expression - but am trying to avoid the mumsyness winning over with makeup, clothes etc. An unstyled bob worn with a blotchy face (which would be me) and a fleece is not going to look brilliant.

Not sure about the fringe, I'm getting rid of mine and it looks less frumpy with a side parting and forehead on show. But it really depends on the wearer.

Try using mousse and blasting your hair upside down for a loose feel to it.

Spottybra Sat 25-Jan-14 10:33:50

Pop to a colourist and get some thick slices of colour put through. I was brown once with what my colourist called 'cheeky' slices of blonde, a chunky slice on my right that was unseen when my hair was down or I could pin the top back to reveal it, and three narrow slices on my left, again underneath the top layer of hair.

Or dye it pink. Or pillar box red.

PuppyMonkey Sat 25-Jan-14 10:30:00

But Colin, Angela's haircut there is not even a bob. confused

Embrace the wave! Mad hair can be cute: Clara Bow

Colinbakergotfat Fri 24-Jan-14 23:24:05

Well that goes without saying, however as someone up thread said, blunt thick fringes add an edge. Similarly I would argue that some styles of bob are intrinsically more frumpy than others - such as angela

MissScatterbrain Fri 24-Jan-14 20:11:39

But her bob can easily look frumpy on someone else - as I've said before, hair is just one element of your appearance, so as long as the rest of you is stylish, you should rock any of the bobs on here...

Colinbakergotfat Fri 24-Jan-14 20:02:44

I have a deep seated aversion to her, but I have to admit that dawn porter really rocks the short bob.

It is all in the fringe and shine.

gruffalosmile Fri 24-Jan-14 11:02:47

Okay thanks ladies, some great ideas here. I will resist layers for the moment as I have not had good experiences with having it layered in the past, but I am due a trim in a couple of weeks so will go for longer/blunter fringe and a more angled shape, will also buy a babyliss (have been thinking about one for ages). The make up I do every day but as I work in childcare I don't like to put too much slap on for work, and the clothes...well I do my best! I do my own colour because I can't afford salon colour, but will look for something nice and rich and a bit more zingy instead of my usual mouse.

I have thick hair with a wave/kink to it and have this. It is the BEST hairstyle I have ever had. Easy to do - versatile and lots of people comment on how much they like it.

Bodicea Fri 24-Jan-14 09:21:27

Lots of cute clips help. I find they are great for when I haven't had style to blow dry hair properly x

StepAwayFromTheEcclesCakes Fri 24-Jan-14 09:20:21

that's because the first picture has artfully cut layers, its the only way to get a shape really. Is your hair naturally straight? if not try scrunching it with a ciurl activator for a tousled look then the shape won't look so obviously triangular. Or use scarves etc to tie round and look funky.

sleepdodger Thu 23-Jan-14 21:45:16

Blunt fringe
Fab colour
Sharp make up

PuppyMonkey Thu 23-Jan-14 21:32:07

I don't think you're doing it right if your bob looks mumsy. confused

It's all about eye makeup and lipstick and wearing good clothes. And getting it cut often. And using Babyliss Big Hair to round it all out.

Also back comb the crown a bit like they did in the Sixties.

Flechas Thu 23-Jan-14 21:20:06

a fairly extreme side parting.

MerylStrop Thu 23-Jan-14 21:17:50

Anything too "done" looks mumsy esp when there are any other mumsy factors (age/child/clothes) in play

Its a fine line though as artfully dishevelled can also just look dishevelled.

I'd go the Emilia Fox/Karlie Kloss/Alexa Chung route. E.F on telly now btw, rather than straightening very thick/wavy hair, cos it will go all wedgy/like playmobil dolly hair.

RiojaHaze Thu 23-Jan-14 20:41:16

www.next-screen.com/classy-tori-spelling-hairstyles-short/
Would this work? I have it and either Big Hair it or curl it with straighteners or tongs to jazz it up.

I've also had a halo of blonde dyed in to stop it looking like a plain brown bob.

gruffalosmile Thu 23-Jan-14 20:35:35

Hi thanks yes I do get that triangular thicker at the ends look. I think what I was hoping for was the first picture but I ended up with more like the second

Very short vintage fringe - google Clara Bow. Grows out quick enough if you don't like it but it's great for leaping up in the morning with a 'done' do.

Hopefully Thu 23-Jan-14 11:57:51

Other thing with a bob is I think it needs reasonably regular maintenance. Used to get t cut twice a year when it was long! I get mine cut every 6-7 weeks and if I get to 7 weeks it is a bit of a pain to style for the last week or so. I am a fusspot about my hair though!

MrsMarigold Thu 23-Jan-14 10:19:50

I have a bob with a heavy blunt fringe after I saw it in Vogue a few months ago - I try to get it looking sleek.

I have a sort of pob, though it's not hugely extreme, with a thick sweeping fringe. I don't look mumsy, to the best of my knowledge. I have a few long layers at the back for volume but none at the front.

nilbyname Thu 23-Jan-14 08:48:51

I think a heavy blunt fringe would give it some edge, that and good makeup.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now