Should I just get a new hairstyle and ignore what people at work say..........

(67 Posts)
Leedsavril Tue 21-Jan-14 15:08:15

I am in my mid 40's and have had the same hairstyle for about 25 years! It is a typical below the shoulder style, its very thick, highlighted and with a few soft layers in it. For about a year now I have been mulling over having a change for a few reasons. I don't think it looks as bouncy or as healthy as it used to, I am fed up spending 30 minutes blowing it every morning after its daily wash and probably the main reason is that I would love a big change after all this time.
I like the look of stylish short hair and I saw a style that I really liked so I thought I would ask a few friends both family and at work what they thought.
Here are a couple of pics of me and what I'd like.
www.flickr.com/photos/115088476@N06/
I was just not prepared for some of the comments and strong opinions. My girlfriends were mainly supportive and offered advice, some feel I will regret it some say go for it....I can take that but the comments from some of the guys at work were just shocking. I got remarks like "You will look like your mum"......"Don't cut it as you will loose all your sex appeal"....."You'll look horrible with short hair"............."That's not fancyable" I am unsure if I find these comments rude, insulting or just honest but I can't believe that something as trivial as a new hairstyle has provoked such a strong reaction from the guys. I am now a bit unsure what to do, I feel I would like the new style but I want to be sure I am doing it because I want to, not because some guys at work have made comments that I do not like.
Has anyone else had this sort of experience.......what do you think?

Margene Mon 27-Jan-14 19:57:56

Did you have it done?! Picture please!

I would definitely go for a style that's a bit longer at the front, like statisticsthicko linked to. It's easy to ditch the longer fringe later if you don't like it. I would also definitely go for the chop! I used to have hair right down my back, but it shorter when I had DD1, then with DD2 I went for a pixie cut so I could wash it in 2 minutes by sticking my head under a running tap! I love it short, much easier to look after, quicker to style by far, and I always look like I've got a hair style, whether I make an effort or not.

MissScatterbrain Wed 22-Jan-14 15:11:41

Came across this on pinterest - there are loads of pixie cuts on there. I used it when looking for a suitable style for me as I now have a pixie bob after having had long hair for years and I love it. It does require some maintenance but I do feel more put together.

Do come back and tell us how it went on Monday.

HelloBoys Wed 22-Jan-14 10:13:01

You could do a longer version first then go for the chop.

then you won't be so disappointed if you don't like the shorter do.

FWIW I think the short cut would look fab on you.

OuterFromOutersville Wed 22-Jan-14 10:09:28

And my hairdresser says that I looked Mumsy before, but fabulous now grin. I luffs him agree.

OuterFromOutersville Wed 22-Jan-14 10:08:32

I have my very short pixie cut hair cut and coloured every 6 weeks (with a free trim every 3 weeks). It takes a lot less time to maintain every day than my long hair did.

discophile Wed 22-Jan-14 09:51:08

Ignore every single opinion apart from your own. Obvs. (Short hair is fabulous. Please ignore that).

OP - I wouldn't go for such a radical cut. Keep a fringe if possible and just remember that to get that natural touselled look, you may well have to spend just as long faffing and blow-drying you hair every morning, or else risk looking like an extra from "Prisoner Cell Block H" <bitter experience>. Many women 'of a certain age' (mostly 50-somethings) go for this style and without a great deal of care it can look cliched and rather 'Oh fuck it, that'll do' utilitarian hmm.

In defence of the 'funky mum bouffant look with red highlights' however, this tends to be the last resort of women who have hair which is not only rapidly greying but falling out in handfuls and thinning horribly on top. It really is the only way of disguising the worst post-menopausal hair ravages. sad Several of my mates have had no option but to go down this route and believe it or not, they have been given these 'Do's' by very very expensive and skilled hair stylists. Just remember these styles are not as easy-care as they look and can be ruinously expensive to maintain - cut and colour every 3-4 weeks minimum without fail.

As a hairdresser... I don't think the cut you linked to would suit, I agree with the others who have said a longer fringe and more shaping around the face I think the photos you linked to would be too severe on you, but your hairdresser will see you in the flesh and advise accordingly, it is difficult to tell from a photo!

I think the Kimberly Wyatt cut linked above is lovely.

To the person saying they've never met a man who prefers short hair, my DH does, which is handy because I wouldn't grow mine long even if he didn't.

Feel free to ignore me but......

Those hair cuts are awful. Only the most beautiful and elfin women in the world can get away with those styles.

You have lovely strong features OP (and lovely hair) and imo those haircuts will in no way flatter you. I think it's a one way ticket to a frumpy middle-aged woman look.

Margene Wed 22-Jan-14 09:29:51

Which style are you going for?!

Leedsavril Wed 22-Jan-14 09:27:36

Hi everyone, thanks for your support and advice, I appreciate it. I understand that a style is all about opinion and what we want. Anyhow I have just booked the appointment for Monday and I will give it a few days to get feedback and let you all know how I go on. I will get some pics done and show you.

Domus Tue 21-Jan-14 20:56:18

I used to have very similar hair to you and had it cut short like your photo but with a slightly longer fringe about 2 years ago. I'm 43

IMO it's the best thing I ever did. I think it looks much more "done" than my old do, has taken years off and is far far easier to maintain.

Have to say though, it's not universally popular. On the whole women like it but some men really had strong feelings about how awful it was (not DH). Many men it seems conform to the stereotype of preferring long blonde hair regardless of whether it's limp and lifeless or suits you at all (me, not you)

But I love it and that's what counts

Laska42 Tue 21-Jan-14 20:46:45

yes yes i have really short hair now and love it , and my face shape is a lot like yours (see profile)

GreenRedBlueYellowPurple Tue 21-Jan-14 20:44:50

I'm sorry but I think it won't look nice at all. I think you should do something different. Colour, shape, grow it... Just don't try and attempt your short cut. The woman in the photos on the right has very different features I think.

hettie Tue 21-Jan-14 20:39:09

I think the cut in the photo will be very hard to achieve with your hair. I have had a very similar cut, but I have super thick/wavy hair... And tbh it was only ever ok- it needed quite subtle high and low lights to make it work (all one colour-even natural- made it too blocky ifykwim). Also it required cutting very frequently. I have quite angular features, so mostly pulled it off, but I felt it really dictated my style. Much harder to go our bare faced with (and I am really not a make up fiend) and much harder to be low-key causual- felt like a I had to dress quite cool/sharp when I had that cut as otherwise it descended into blurgh...How about going for a very blunt/edgy bob first? You can always go shorter next. Do you live in London, because if you do I know a fab hairdresser?

Leviticus Tue 21-Jan-14 20:02:17

I think it's got huge potential to go mumsy - sorry.

There was a thread yesterday on here with the title 'who is this?' That I thought of as soon as I saw your (very lovely) photos. It's a link to a photo of Heidi Klum with a really nice below jaw bob. That would look great on you and be pretty easy to achieve.

Leverette Tue 21-Jan-14 18:22:59

Yes you should ignore what men at work say. Your job is not to be a decorative bauble for them to get sexual pleasure from looking at!!

I think shorter would really suit you but with a long, side swept fringe like the current Charlize style. But whatever you do, do it for you!

FoxyHarlow123 Tue 21-Jan-14 18:12:19

DO NOT cut your hair short. Especially not those 2 styles. You'll look 10 years older in an instant. Stay blonde but have a colour refresh. Have some long layers cut in and get a Babyliss big hair bush. Go all sleek, glossy and swishy. Stop ringing your eyes with black khol and you'll look a million dollars.

FruitSaladIsNotPudding Tue 21-Jan-14 18:02:59

Change of colour could be an idea? Going darker will likely improve the condition too.

hermionepotter Tue 21-Jan-14 17:51:25

I think bear in mind it may be harder to grow your hair back to its current length as easily/quickly in 40s? unless yours grows really quick - ie if you want long hair again if you don't like it, could take years. Also there's a risk of looking mumsy. But then again if you fancy a change and are brave then good for you. If it was me <coward> I'd go for a bit shorter/bit of an update maybe at a new salon etc and see how I feel about that first

BranchingOut Tue 21-Jan-14 17:49:44

Robin Wright in House of Cards?

eurochick Tue 21-Jan-14 17:45:21

Hmmm. I think the short style you linked could be very ageing and "mumsy" on anyone over about 25. I think the sleeker style in your second picture is lovely. My terribly glamorous 50 yr old step MIL has something very similar and it always looks classy while being fairly low maintenance day to day.

ITCouldBeWorse Tue 21-Jan-14 17:41:57

Tbh (I'm the same age as you) I think you could carry it off your jaw line looks really good, but I don't think it will flatter..

Def time for a change after 25 years, but I am seeking flattering all the way!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now