Help, please! What should I do with my hair?

(56 Posts)
ExtraCruchyArseBiscuits Mon 20-Jan-14 20:30:53

Dear fellow mumsnetter style experts, please give me some ideas, as I'm running out of them!

I'm a SAHM in my early 30s. My hair is slightly greying, sort of ashy brown. I like having my hair short - ideally extremely short (think Sinead O), but as my body is not exactly perfect (5' 7, 11 ish stone, size 14), I might suit a teensy bit more of length. I love wearing tapered "mum jeans", trainers or DMs, t-shirts and cardies. Sort of 90s style.. Very low maintenance. I don't wear make-up, never blow dry or straighten hair. Always wear my glasses, which are greyish green (like my eyes).

The hair's been every (natural) colour on this planet, until last year when I just shaved it off. It's grown now, and I'm getting a bit restless with my own colour, especially since the grey is starting to show a bit. I've toyed the with the idea of mossy green shock , but would that be too "emo/teenager"? I just don't want to miss my chance to wear shock colours before I have to be a "respectable career woman" again! Or silvery blonde? Or just stay dark brown, but dye the grey?

Any help greatly appreciated! smile Picture should be showing on profile.

furlinedsheepskinjacket Wed 22-Jan-14 01:37:55

yy go for green smile good luck

ExtraCruchyArseBiscuits Wed 22-Jan-14 01:23:27

Not really, furlined! smile However, I think I will first do the green just to get that out of my system, but then.. anything goes! grin

TBF, I'm a bit scared that pink will look strange/wrong on me, though, as I'm not at all girlie..

furlinedsheepskinjacket Wed 22-Jan-14 01:04:16

is it too late to suggest fuschia pink?

ExtraCruchyArseBiscuits Wed 22-Jan-14 00:35:40

And, I meant to say thanks to you too, Selks! smile

ExtraCruchyArseBiscuits Wed 22-Jan-14 00:34:15

Feel a bit under pressure to look amazing, now that so many people are involved grin

Yes, I think I will go sort of paleish green to begin with, once I get the base colour sorted --and if I don't muck it up somehow--I think I will need a bleach bath (See - I'm learning the lingo, Wanda!) and a separate stronger bleaching for the back of my neck, which is shoddily done with one small patch completely untreated <flogs self> So, after pics will only be available in around a month's time..

The colour I'm going for (ish):

media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/236x/f6/b2/68/f6b268714cfd27a471b7733d95737db3.jpg

And I'm going to probably buzz the sides and go for this:

www.short-haircut.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/03/Side-shaved-hairstyle-for-women.jpg

although it will be a teensy bit longer on top, so more like this, I guess:

media-cache-ec0.pinimg.com/736x/7a/7e/35/7a7e35b22886a9826fb7f31398533612.jpg

What do you guys think? I might be aiming for a green mohican here grin

Selks Wed 22-Jan-14 00:12:08

Looking forwards to seeing your 'after' pic, Extra.
FWIW I think a pale green or pale blue would look awesome on you smile

ExtraCruchyArseBiscuits Tue 21-Jan-14 23:47:56

Splodges: Oh, cool! How would you do it?

Wanda: Did the purple conditioner thing this morning. It has removed A LOT of the yellow/orange, but not all. Will do it again at some point. Thanks for the tip!!!

Splodges Tue 21-Jan-14 23:44:01

When I was a kid we used to dye strands of hair using food colouring, if that helps. For your DS I mean, wouldn't recommend it for you (and make sure he isn't wearing anything white wink)

ExtraCruchyArseBiscuits Tue 21-Jan-14 09:13:53

Oh and DS now also wants to colour his hair. I might buy some hair chalk and put a bit in his hair for a birthday party he is going to this weekend.

ExtraCruchyArseBiscuits Tue 21-Jan-14 09:12:15

DS exclaimed "what happened to your hair, mummy? It's yellow!" He was happy, though! grin Then he said that he'd prefer red to the yellow, as "yellow is not his favourite colour". Ah well.. Now got the purple conditioner on under some cling film for the next few hours, so hopefully yellow will be more blonde, then.

Thanks - I do like JLC. smile Hope I'm as cool when I'm older!

I think looking at (young) Sinead and Demi in their buzzed off hair, for inspiration, can be a bit misleading, TBF, as they'd look stunning wearing tea towel and a bin bag grin I always have to remind myself that I'm not going to magically transform to <insert famous beautiful person> just by having heir haircut or colour.. It's still going to be my face and my lumberjack body! grin

ChishandFips33 Tue 21-Jan-14 04:41:32

I think short hair suits most people better than they think..
I think you might be right, I would love to have short hair again (did right through til my late teenage years but looked like a boy!) Would so love to have a twin right now to march them off to get head shaved and see if it suited them! I had serious teenage crush on Sinead's shaved head back in the day (and Demi Moore in GI Jane!)
I think a lot has to do with the person and how they feel - and how they exude confidence/wear their hair, not their hair wear them. Jessie was a fab example!

You remind me of Jamie Lee Curtis (not age or grey hair though!) but she rocks the short hair...something is 'shining' from her!!

Hope you get the green you want, what does your little boy say when he wakes up to a different mummy? Has he ever painted his hair? smile

ChishandFips33 Tue 21-Jan-14 04:38:07

I think short hair suits most people better than they think..
I think you might be right, I would love to have short hair again (did right through til my late teenage years but looked like a boy!) Would so love to have a twin right now to march them off to get head shaved and see if it suited them! I had serious teenage crush on Sinead's shaved head back in the day (and Demi Moore in GI Jane!)
I think a lot has to do with the person and how they feel - and how they exude confidence/wear their hair, not their hair wear them. Jessie was a fab example!

You remind me of Jamie Lee Curtis (not age or grey hair though!) but she rocks the short hair...something is 'shining' from her!!

Hope you get the green you want, what does your little boy say when he wakes up to a different mummy? Has he ever painted his hair? smile

ExtraCruchyArseBiscuits Tue 21-Jan-14 00:43:37

Thanks Cheerful and Athrawes! I think short hair suits most people better than they think.. but it's a bit of a commitment, I guess. Takes at least a year or two to grow a short style out.

burnished: Yes, I wouldn't go for bright green! More a muted, mossy, turquoisy or minty colour.. but yes.. I guess why I want to go for green is precisely because it's.. well.. strange. Also, a few years ago I saw someone on the street with lovely mossy green hair. Very stylish.

Athrawes Tue 21-Jan-14 00:24:37

I love your hair short and if my face looked less like a rather elderly potato, would do the same as you.
Pink, purple (bright not blue rinse style). I have ALWAYS wanted bright blue hair but you could do it for me.

CheerfulYank Tue 21-Jan-14 00:22:14

I love short hair and wish I could pull it off (like my fave Melissa McBride )

You look great!

burnishedsilver Tue 21-Jan-14 00:15:07

Don't do the green. It's a bit too 'St Patricks day'. Apart from that you can probably carry off any colour.

ExtraCruchyArseBiscuits Tue 21-Jan-14 00:09:10
ExtraCruchyArseBiscuits Tue 21-Jan-14 00:06:50

Chish: Both of those are nice, especially the Jessie J one, which is a bit more me! Will have to see what colour my hair will turn after the blue conditioner treatment tomorrow, and work with that. I really wish I had naturally blonde hair. Could do without the bleach hassle..

I think I will shave the sides of my head. They are so puffy, they are driving me nuts!

Really, I'm not especially confident. smile I just don't care what happens to my hair, as it's a renewable commodity grin Ideally i would do this:

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=sinead+o%27connor&safe=off&rlz=1C1CHFX_en-GBGB532GB532&espv=210&es_sm=93&tbm=isch&source=iu&imgil=KNpAHnixOY8o-M%253A%253Bhttps%253A%252F%252Fencrypted-tbn0.gstatic.com%252Fimages%253Fq%253Dtbn%253AANd9GcTSommVXXniUU1d8fcPZym6K1XSCXp2S8YrZs5dQ7WUDPCyk_oY%253B1738%253B1216%253BIK0UdlSh_d2cpM%253Bhttp%25253A%25252F%25252Fwww.tyci.org.uk%25252Fwordpress%25252Fwhy-i-heart-sinead-oconnor%25252F&sa=X&ei=s7ndUqvcJ8aN7QbJxYHwBw&ved=0CI4BEP4dMAs&biw=1920&bih=971#facrc=_&imgdii=_&imgrc=zGXIgNgNE9TOPM%253A%3BNqrgxpQ2l_PUqM%3Bhttp%253A%252F%252Fwww.pixieforever.com%252Fwp-content%252Fuploads%252F2011%252F12%252Fsinead-o-connor8588o.jpg%3Bhttp%253A%252F%252Fwww.pixieforever.com%252Ftag%252Fsinead-oconnor%252F%3B225%3B300

But, sadly, have neither the face or the body for it.

ChishandFips33 Mon 20-Jan-14 23:55:15

More you?

ChishandFips33 Mon 20-Jan-14 23:53:28

Plum? May be a bit too conservative for you; you sound super confident and fab! jealous, would love to be brave and have a style

ExtraCruchyArseBiscuits Mon 20-Jan-14 23:25:28

Ok, I have that exact stuff. Will put it on tomorrow night under a shower cap. Thanks for the tip!

WandaDoff Mon 20-Jan-14 23:24:35

Ah great minds grin

ExtraCruchyArseBiscuits Mon 20-Jan-14 23:23:46

Ok, ok! grin I am a bit too "feck it - let's do it!" with my hair.. maybe I just want an excuse to buzz it off again.

So, toner.. I will look that up. Still have some of that blue shampoo from when I was last blonde a year ago. Will use that, as well.

WandaDoff Mon 20-Jan-14 23:23:36

Get some 'touch of silver' conditioner & leave it on for a few hours.

Repeat frequently til the bottle is used up & see if you can tone some of the yellow out of it before you dye it though.

WandaDoff Mon 20-Jan-14 23:19:38

Not for at least a month. Tone it. Or dye it, but don't bleach it again for fucks sake shock

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now