La Vie en Crepe

(1000 Posts)
motherinferior Sun 12-Jan-14 16:41:36

And a new door opens...grin

QueenQueenie Mon 13-Jan-14 17:50:37

Bowling? Evening meal out at Pizza Express or similar for a few friends without grown ups at the table? What does she like doing? Have you looked at BFI for instance for films - they always seem to have fantastic things on (rather than just the latest releases)?

motherinferior Mon 13-Jan-14 17:55:05

BFI vg idea. Clever you.

lalsy Mon 13-Jan-14 17:55:05

Pizza out somewhere without adults apart from bill-paying bit followed by dvd at home? My dd did the pizza bit for her 13th and it went fine. Swimming pool with flumes?

lalsy Mon 13-Jan-14 17:58:55

QQ, X-post.
Climbing wall at Mile End?
Murder mystery game at home?
How many friends?

motherinferior Mon 13-Jan-14 18:05:43

Only a few...v good pizza place near here and she does love it!

CointreauVersial Mon 13-Jan-14 18:14:15

OMG, I am Chuffed of Mumsnet!

I've been chosen for the Pruhealth / Virgin Active Gym thingummy here. This will be a serious boost to my New Year Get My Arse Into Shape ambitions.

So I shall see you at Tas fresh from my induction day.......<v. v. excited>

motherinferior Mon 13-Jan-14 18:15:07

<swoon>

motherinferior Mon 13-Jan-14 18:19:44

And DD1 has now suggested just pizza/movie etc at home grin, a Frugal and Effective solution.

bigTillyMint Mon 13-Jan-14 18:21:47

12 years a slave is on!!!!
DD did London Eye for her 13th IIRC. I dread to think what DS will want to do for his!

QueenQueenie Mon 13-Jan-14 18:24:04

Good for dd! If you are feeling super nice you could let them make a huge mess of your kitchen the pizza dough and give them a load of toppings to customise (ds2 loves doing this) their efforts...

bigTillyMint Mon 13-Jan-14 18:25:01

envy envy envy CV. I couldn't even enter that comp as I can't get a Friday offangry

motherinferior Mon 13-Jan-14 18:25:52

I think 12 Years may be a step too far for this lot grin - suspect they want something appallingly and deliciously fluffy, like Legally Blonde. I myself am more than happy to produce pizza, popcorn, etc as they shriek in front of the telly. I shall pick MrsS's brains on non-alcoholic cocktails (especially as her PSB will probably be one of the shriekers grin.)

Tonight's supper: an Aldi shove-in-the-oven ciabbatta, tomato/avocado/mozzarella/basil salad, tuna/cannellini bean salad. Deliciousness at v low effort. And I ate - get this - tofu at lunchtime. Ho yes.

cremolafoam Mon 13-Jan-14 18:27:25

Wow CV well done you!! How exciting!

We were lucky that dds birthday seemed to coincide with Harry potter releases back in the day. Usually plus pizza natch.

bigTillyMint Mon 13-Jan-14 18:46:08

Tofu, bleurgh!

We had hot dogs, baked beans and sweetcorn. Followed by the last of the Christmas cake. I am Nigellagrin

Cremo commiserations on computer disaster - I have finally got our internet going properly again tonight. So boring.

The garden is now 1/2 mud and the shed is in the middle of the grass, and our NDN's gorgeous little doggy is enjoying free range into our garden as the fence is down between ussmile

hattymattie Mon 13-Jan-14 19:06:22

Hello - finally caught up with you all. Really sorry to hear about your mother Rudy.

I'm also full of cold. I had a cold last weekend, it got better and then came back with a vengeance this weekend. I can't seem to concentrate on anything either - although I suspect that has more to do with crepey hormones than cold.

Herb's - shit day - apart from jumper wine. I can't even drink - but am sadly excited at the though of lemsip.

herbaceous Mon 13-Jan-14 19:24:19

On the plus side, ridiculously young and beautiful assistant in Reiss said how much she liked my scarf, and asked where I'd got it. I was naturally thrilled to be able to reply 'Sainsbury's.

This is the jumper I bought. Note interesting ribbed area below the elbow.

I tried on a few garments in Cos, as they do seem beautifully cut and great quality. But they were entirely the wrong shape for me - went in where I go out, and out where I go in. Hopeless.

wilbur Mon 13-Jan-14 19:30:17

Ooh - BTM, finally getting the garden done? When will it be finished? I had a very satisfying hack at some straggly stuff in the garden this weekend and have revealed a bit of nice view across the back of neighbour's garden. I am going to reveal more gradually by stealthily remove more vegetation from a holly tree that is growing in their garden, but hanging way over into ours.

MI - as you know I suffer from the same issues about earning power and money, although dh does basically give me all his salary and I give him some back each month as he is pants with money, not a spendthrift but wouldn't pay a bill unless it was a large man called Bill standing in our drive with a crowbar. Still, my equal bit of fritter money goes on taking the kids out for tea and parking the car in annoying Wandsworth and his seems to rack up and pay for trips to France and new bicycles. It is a mindset thing though - dh comes from a background where there has always been a safety net and I come from a background where people clawed their way to the middle class and clung on for dear life. I worry and he does not, and that's probably the basis of all my resentment. However, when I am feeling anxious about not actually earning a salary that one person could live on, let alone 5, I do have to remember that I have been around to do the bulk of childcare and have also overseen various house renovations which have basically bought us a leaking money pit house that should (crossing all fingers) provide the pension that I have not been able to save for. Dh could not have done it all on his own, so I consider that I have sweat equity in our life together. Hopefully that balances out him losing the fancy wardrobe and posh holidays that he had as a single man about town.

I was also going to suggest taking dd1 to the new ice rink for her b'day but pizza and film night sounds fab.

bigTillyMint Mon 13-Jan-14 19:31:20

Yes wine for Herbs. I think I would combust if I lost my phone.

In sort of S&B news, I have done my style-guru bit for DD and found her a nice looking ski jacket and salopettes combo. Now fingers crossed size 8 fits as she is just slightly too big for her age 12 ones (which she has had for 4 years) and there don't seem to be any suitable age 14 ones (which is a shame as children's stuff is cheaper). Luckily DS still just fits into the jacket/pants I got him last year (glad I went for 2 sizes too big last year!), as I have had to buy him size 10 1/2 hiking boots (and they only just fit) and massive glovesshock

RudyMentary Mon 13-Jan-14 19:32:27

Sorry you're not feeling well Hatty

Bit of a mixed day then herbs?

Still no news on DM - I going over tomorrow with a supply if dinners.

I'm sooooo excited crepeys! We've been invited to a Wedding! I can't remember the last wedding I went to
...... actually that's a lie, I can, it was mine!

I love a good wedding grin

MrsSchadenfreude Mon 13-Jan-14 19:35:15

I quite like smoked tofu in a stir fry. Tonight we are having a Caribbean veg curry with lentils and coconut.

Non-alcoholic cocktails - ready made custard and lemonade makes an excellent Snowball. Grenadine syrup (I have seen it in Sainsbo and Waitrose) and orange juice makes a non alcoholic Tequila sunrise. Coke float sometimes goes down well (although DD2 said it was "just wrong"). I also find that the "old fashioned" drinks such as Cream Soda (Tesco sugar free is very good, and sweetened with sucralose, rather than aspartame) and Dandelion and Burdock go down well. Can you still get Tizer? For those who don't like Fizzy, maybe get a French "sirop" - strawberry, or mango, maybe to have with water and a splash of juice. Mango juice or "nectar" is often popular too. Can you get little umbrellas and swizzle sticks from a pound shop to complete the look? You can often pick up plastic "cocktail glasses" quite cheaply - we stuffed some sweets/lip salves/ hair bits in these and tied up the glass with cellophane instead of a party bag.

bigTillyMint Mon 13-Jan-14 19:37:57

Nice pully, Herbs!

Wilbur, garden should be finished by the end of the monthish - not a complete makeover, more a makegood! And exactly about the jointness of finances!
Have you been to the new ice rink yet? Am looking forward to it, but I fear the DC will no longer want to go with mesad Maybe I could bribe them with fizzy drinks and chips!

bigTillyMint Mon 13-Jan-14 19:40:18

Rudy, how frustrating about your DM, and how exciting re the wedding - I haven't been to one since a slew of them around the time we married.

MrsS, can you adopt me?smile

motherinferior Mon 13-Jan-14 19:47:32

Where is the new ice rink?

bigTillyMint Mon 13-Jan-14 19:50:20

St Reatham. On the old site!

bigTillyMint Mon 13-Jan-14 19:52:04

This thread is not accepting new messages.