Oh Gawd, have just got a fringe cut

(22 Posts)
bleedingheart Sun 12-Jan-14 14:47:50

I love big heavy fringes! It sounds great.

I really want a fringe but like Weelady, I have curly hair so its a bit of a no-go. Straighteners hate my hair too.
I have a large forehead and would like to break it up and hide any wrinkles that develop.

Cheesyslice Sun 12-Jan-14 14:30:44

Another fringe grower-outer here. I had a full one, had to dampen it, spritz with Tigi volume spray then blow dry and straighten every day. PITA.

Maeve789 Sun 12-Jan-14 10:37:05

Im the oppisite moresky! I forget how big my forehead is how the horizontal lines are so noticeable.... i see all one length hair on somebody, think how fabous it looks and start growing out my fringe!

Yes, my mother said it takes years off me. I didn't realise I had years to come off! Sob! Also means you can't tell if I have done my eyebrows perfectly.

Question - I have an enormous monobrow a healthy set of brows. Have been letting them grow thick (a la Cara whatdyacallher) rather than tweezing but I am worried it's too much hair.

Good tip on not over moisturising the old forehead.

permaquandry Sat 11-Jan-14 22:03:20

Batiste is your best friend. I had a fringe for 34 years and am now growing it out.

I have oilyish hair and a fringe will look more greasy as it picks up the oil from the forehead. I didn't moisturise my forehead in the morning (only at night) and used batiste on the fringe and parting if going out in the eves.

I am very tempted to cut mine back in. Makes you look younger, I think.

I had a one length bob for years - got very boring but I can't be contemplating any style that I have to faff with and my hair needs to be tied back for work.

So I had the thinnest wispiest fringe cut (just below eyenrow level) and it's really nice.
I wash my hair once a week but the fringe gets doused when I have a shower.
And yes, cheaper than Botox grin not that I HAVE any wrinkles

MoreSkyThanWeNeed Sat 11-Jan-14 21:09:51

Argh, you're making me want a fringe!
Every few years I get one, think it looks shit hot at the time, then see photos and realise I look like Damien, the demon kid.
Then I forget, see a nice one on someone else and we're back to the start again!

Maeve789 Sat 11-Jan-14 20:53:21

I loved having a fringe! I started growing it out about this time next year and I don't know why. I think it's flattering. My hair isn't even particularly straight but I used to smooth the top and let the bottom kink, it was easy and looked nice. no idea why i felt i needed to grow out a fringe. and yes, botox, i had it once, and I can't afford to get it done again. so, fringe would be cheaper.

CointreauVersial Sat 11-Jan-14 20:49:04

I heart my fringe, but I've had one for 46 years, so I'm pretty used to it.

Second the daily washing, particularly if it's fine hair. Dry shampoo is your friend. A quick tickle with my BBH perks mine up no end.

If it starts getting in your eyes, do a quick trim, or pop into your hairdresser's - most will do a fringe trim between appointments for little or no money.

And if you're my age, with a wrinkly forehead - it's way cheaper than Botox. grin

Bbh is great when it's getting a sniff too long-rounds the shape just enough to get it out of the eyes

trixymalixy Sat 11-Jan-14 18:56:39

My sister uses dry shampoo on her fringe in between washes

burnishedsilver Sat 11-Jan-14 18:55:41

I didn't wash mine every day but I had to ghd it everyday.

I think I like it. It's a full on blunt wide one down to my eyebrows.

DH likes it. Says I look more modern

I think I will have to wash daily - I might dig out the BBH to dry and shape it all in one.

I am slightly concerned about the grease though...

enormouse Sat 11-Jan-14 18:50:05

I wash mine every time I wash my hair (2-3 times a week) but I have a very short pixie crop.
I blow dry it to one side and then brush it back to the other so it's not flat. Then rub a little wax or gel through it to separate.

Do you have a short fringe or a long sweeping one?

I do wash mine everyday because my hair is naturally greasy and I tend to fiddle with it! But I just wash the fringe over the sink, one minute with the hairdryer and it's sorted. Makes for a polished look too!

JoanRanger Sat 11-Jan-14 17:44:21

You can wash it every day. Tie your hair back, dip fringe under running tap in sink, shampoo (tiny amount) and rinse. Voila!

PaperBagPrincess Sat 11-Jan-14 17:10:07

Love my fringe. Give it a week or two to settle. New fringes always look slightly awkward. Then see how you feel. You can always grow it in to a longer side fringe if you dont like it.

plentyofsoap Sat 11-Jan-14 16:48:52

I love mine and it is not too much hard work. Ghds through it takes less than a minute smile

Lizzabadger Sat 11-Jan-14 16:45:56

It will take a while to get used to. You can always grow it out. I get mine trimmed more than the rest of my hair. Costs £3 for fringe trim round here and makes a big difference to your appearance.

WhoNickedMyName Sat 11-Jan-14 16:33:20

Oh dear.

I'm nine months into growing out a fringe I decided on, on the spur of the moment. It's not even down to my chin yet. hmm

Sorry, not helpful at all.

Weelady77 Sat 11-Jan-14 16:29:47

As long as your fringe is straight it will be finesmile I got a fringe cut a couple of years ago and it was the wrong move as I've got curly hair although I straighten it every day but slightest bit moisture it was everywhere so it last a week then was pinned to the side till it grew outshock

I must be mad. Fringe care tips please. I haven't had one since I was 9.

Do I need to wash it every day?!

NB do not get a radical haircut when hungover.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now