Please give me your opinion - do I want to spend £50 on a cloak from a charity shop?

(72 Posts)
2sugarsandadog Sat 11-Jan-14 08:10:08

Which I may or may not wear. At 48 I'd have trouble pulling it off, but it's soooo lovely - really heavy and well made. Think Scottish Widow style - but sadly I don't look a bit like her. And they've put it aside till this morning .....

DelGirl Sat 11-Jan-14 16:19:10

Picture?

Xoticdreamz Sat 11-Jan-14 16:27:46

I would . Even if I only pranced about the house with it on I would still buy if I loved it .

Merguez Sat 11-Jan-14 16:32:39

Yes, it sounds like a classic vintage piece that you love and you will probably wear it a few times a year for the next 10 years - go for it!

£50 is not that much for something well-made from good fabric.

VestaCurry Sat 11-Jan-14 16:33:19

No no no and thrice no again

Merguez Sat 11-Jan-14 16:35:06

Ah - I see you have bought it. I hope you enjoy wearing it lots, and I'm sure the charity will be grateful to you.

impty Sat 11-Jan-14 17:48:56

Yay! Sensible is boring!

WandaDoff Sat 11-Jan-14 17:53:07

Can we see a photo?

thelittlemothersucker Sat 11-Jan-14 18:10:24

Yes, yes - pic

BitchyFestiveFace Sat 11-Jan-14 18:51:58

Hurrah!

Aquelven Sat 11-Jan-14 18:58:20

Good! Glad you got it grin
If you'd let it go you'd never see anything like it again & it would be a niggling regret. Now you own something you love, will never part with. Just think how brilliant it will be for walking the dogs in the freezing cold....much more fun than a boring parka.

AwkwardSquad Sat 11-Jan-14 19:27:58

Walk the dogs in it at night (and if the cloak is long enough, wear roller skates). Start a new neighbourhood spooky tale smile

Binkybix Sat 11-Jan-14 19:37:07

I want a cloak. Can we see a pic?

FiddleDeeDees Sat 11-Jan-14 20:45:47

Good for you OP!

Succumbed to a similar cloak a few years ago, and it's still hanging in my wardrobe...although I very rarely wear it, I would never get rid of it - firstly for sentimental reasons (my husband proposed to me the first time I wore it, on a weekend in Paris!) and secondly because there might still be the odd occasion when it will be exactly the right thing to wear...this year I looked quite glam at a Eurovision party smile

Imagine one of those 'cloak' events coming up, and just thinking about the cloak you so nearly bought, but didn't - too awful to contemplate!

Enjoy...

2sugarsandadog Sun 12-Jan-14 09:04:47

Thank you all!

TheBookofRuth Sun 12-Jan-14 09:47:35

I'm so glad heart won! Last year in a similar vein I bought myself a full length white fake fur coat. I'm sure I look ludicrous in it, but I feel like the Snow Queen, and I count that as a win. Plus it's really warm!

D'you what?

This week I'm going to take my cape to some Friendly Local Repairs who will remove the rather OTT fur from the sleeves and I will wear it.

I've seen loads of people wearing them and when I go somewhere enclosed, I often don't wear a jacket because I feel too warm (47 yo, flushes y'know)

I will do The Full Scottish Widows Face (though looking at the newer advert she doesn;t have as much make-up on as I remember)

Now, we need some nice wintery weather to wear it. smile

NewBeginningsSnoopy Sun 12-Jan-14 12:05:32

Lol re: bald cats

ReluctantBeing Sun 12-Jan-14 12:10:37

Sounds like a posh charity shop.

KatyMac Sun 12-Jan-14 12:15:32

My nan left me a full length opera cloak with a ruched hood. It's lined in lilac silk and is Irish gabadine

I love it & wore it for my January wedding, various formal dos, the Rocky Horror Show & I always feel amazing when I wear it

DD is now tall enough to wear it & I wonder where it will take her - it is an heirloom piece

Dollydishus Sun 12-Jan-14 12:20:51

Oh yes buy it and wear it! I've got a full length black velvet coat lined in pink silk. Rarely wear it as it's very goth, but when I do, I feel amazing. And it's always admired.

Think posh concert, posh dinner, wedding, one-off events...lovely to have a really special thing to weAr, when everyone else will be in some dreadful debenhams occasion type outfit.

capsium Sun 12-Jan-14 12:24:33

Yes. If only to support the charity. This alone justifies the spend wink

sunshinemmum Sun 12-Jan-14 13:42:52

Oooh I would. It would be fab if you ever go out to concerts or evening dances.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now