if you had a wedding to go to and wanted to look your absolute best. where would you go for your outfit and what would you wear

(38 Posts)
Anyfuckerisnotguilty Sun 05-Jan-14 23:36:15

Havent been to many family dos I a while as ive had a lot of issues

so it feels like the wedding im planning on a attendimg will be like makjng a big statement iyswim

babySophieRose Tue 07-Jan-14 09:53:57

I will wear a dress, go to one of the big department stores, i usually end up with a Phase eight dress and buy few extra accessories.

Anyfuckerisnotguilty Tue 07-Jan-14 09:42:45

Fallon oh I love the green one the best
It would nt suit me I don't think it's not quite the right shape for. Me but I love
the colour

I would love to,see the peacock headband

I quite fancy green or orange or maybe gold

I'd hire a Temperley from wish want wear

Eastpoint Mon 06-Jan-14 21:47:35

Monsoon have personal shoppers, their range is so enormous they're really helpful.

NewBeginningsSnoopy Mon 06-Jan-14 21:44:24

I must say that between Coast and Pretty Dress Company, definitely PDC for the comfort factor. Equally stunning dresses.

NewBeginningsSnoopy Mon 06-Jan-14 21:42:52

Hair done, make up done by Clinique on the day, dresses I like are by Coast & Pretty Dress Company, shoes by LK Bennett or, surprisingly, M&S although not as good quality. I'm tall and like unfussy styles that have a 'wow' factor.

emsyj Mon 06-Jan-14 21:21:39

Just a thought, if you want to look super glam have you considered getting professional hair and makeup done? There's a place near me that is amazing for this. I don't know where you're based but if you're in the north west then they are brill (not cheap tho). I can't do my own hair (not bad at doing other people's, but sadly my arms don't bend the right way to do my own) so I would definitely want to have a professional 'do' for an event.

waitingforgodot Mon 06-Jan-14 21:01:23

I love The Pretty Dress Company for wedding outfits. www.theprettydresscompany.com/

EATmum Mon 06-Jan-14 20:06:29

I've done the John Lewis personal shopping a couple of times and it's great fun. No pressure at all, someone who knows what they're talking about to make suggestions, private space to dress in with good lighting, and free snacks. What's not to love?? They also suggested one dress that I hated on the hanger and would never have tried myself, but have worn many many times subsequently. It's good to have new ideas even if you ignore them.

cantthinkofagoodone Mon 06-Jan-14 20:00:18

Alexon is a wedding favourite for me. Some styles are quite mature but not all.

Chewbecca Mon 06-Jan-14 19:54:23

That is a lovely dress fallon. I love the green and the silver but all depends on skin tone.

FallonColby Mon 06-Jan-14 19:18:01

This is this dress, undecided whether to go for the green or pale pink. If I go for the green I have seen a great peacock feather head piece and gold/bronze sandals. If I go for the pink I have seen a wonderful wide brimmed off white hat.
www.jcrew.com/womens_category/weddingsandparties/SilkDupioni/PRDOVR~02953/02953.jsp

MummyKanny Mon 06-Jan-14 17:40:27

Whistles wins for me every time. You might even be able to grab a bargain in their sale if you're quick!

Anyfuckerisnotguilty Mon 06-Jan-14 17:37:44

Fallon, don't suppose you fancy linking dress

I didn't realise coast did shoes

FallonColby Mon 06-Jan-14 13:38:06

If you go to somewhere like Karen Millen, chances are someone else might be wearing the same thing or something very similar. For similar money you could get something like a DVF, as someone up thread said and it will last a lifetime. I am going to a wedding in July and have my eye on a dress from J. Crew and a huge hat to really make a statement.

PoshPaula Mon 06-Jan-14 13:16:27

I wore a fantastic dress and shoes from Coast, to the last wedding I attended. I felt great. Got lots of compliments.

Anyfuckerisnotguilty Mon 06-Jan-14 12:35:50

The type of shape dress I think suits me, is similar to the one I linked too
Fitted on the top
Ideally above the knee
And a bit loser and flowly around the tummy area

So I thinki. Know the sort of shape I'm after

Anyfuckerisnotguilty Mon 06-Jan-14 12:32:33

Oh I like the purple and orange dresses linked
Both I think would suit me

I agree about the purple one needed a bit of dressing up. That's what I would do too

The wedding isn't even until June
So got loads of time

I will google the sites and things you've suggested thanks

Not sure I fancy a session with a personal shopper as i think I know what suits me etc, was more looking for other places to look iykwim

But if it's free, could be fun
Although hopefully my baby will behave!

Lambzig Mon 06-Jan-14 11:29:04

Diane Von Furstenburg. Lots in the sales at the moment.

lurkingaround Mon 06-Jan-14 10:01:02

Decide what type/shape of dress suits you, what colours suits you. Borrow if you can. Have a look and try-on in stores. Then look at all the designer sites, NaP, matches, mywardrobe, mytheresa, FarFetch (I find farfetch handy, it's a huge site tho, but it has everything under the sun), and go to the sales section. You'd never know what you'd find. And you might find a copy/something similar on the high street. It can be a bit of a trawl, but deciding first in your head what's for you makes it easier.

I say all of this very knowingly and calmly. IRL I get into a complete lather when buying Important Clothes.

Chewbecca Mon 06-Jan-14 09:44:12

If you get a plain dress but want to jazz it up, try looking at shourouk or shourouk style necklaces.
I got one for Christmas and feel fab in it and have received compliments every time I have worn it.

I have similar coloring to you although I am a 5'5 and a size 14. I have just bought THIS dress to wear to a wedding next month. Ii is plain but I plan to dress it up with a statement necklace, killer heels and a clutch.

I also couldn't resist THIS on sale as we have 3 weddings to go to in the next 8 weeks. Only one more dress to find!

If you are looking for a change the personal shopping suggestions are fab, you may find they choose something you would never consider but love!

beanandspud Mon 06-Jan-14 00:03:48

Could you book a personal shopper at John Lewis, Debenhams or House of Fraser? I've heard of lots of people who have had good experiences. I went to Debenhams and there was no pressure to buy and also the option to take things back if you had a change of heart. I was also encouraged to try on thing that I wouldn't have found if I was browsing on my own.

Sit back, have a coffee, let someone else look for outfits...

Financeprincess Mon 06-Jan-14 00:02:28

Just like the one wellyboot just posted!

Financeprincess Mon 06-Jan-14 00:01:38

Shorter girls look great in prom-style dresses, particularly those with a bit of meat on them - on small, skinny people it's a bit dressing up box in my view. Strapless prom dresses only work for spring/summer weddings though.

For winter weddings, I like a nice fitted frock in a colour or a pattern. Fab shoes, bag & scarf.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now