Is there a trick to getting nail varnish to stay on?

(33 Posts)
Methe Sun 05-Jan-14 14:23:59

Is it down to the price of the varnish used, the brand or the application?

I do my nails and within a could of hours they chip and crack and look shit. It's the same whether I use cheap rimmel £2.99 stuff or the marginally more expensive £8 revlon sort. I've never tried anything more expensive than that.

There must be a knack. Any tips?

Methe Sun 05-Jan-14 20:34:18

I'm surprised its taken this long for someone to pick up on that typo grin

LadyMud Sun 05-Jan-14 20:14:24

"I'm normally busy dogging . . . at the weekend" shock

MissScatterbrain Sun 05-Jan-14 19:19:29

My cheapy (i.e Barry M/Rimmel) polishes last for 5-7 days.

Tips are:

Short clean nails
Base coat & top coat
Two coats of polish
Do not do anything for an hour afterwards (I tend to do my nails in the evenings while watching TV)
Rubber gloves for washing up/housework

louwn Sun 05-Jan-14 18:49:26

Whatfun - will be doing my nails tonight so I'll let you know!

DameDoom Sun 05-Jan-14 18:40:53

Base coat, any old nail polish, seche vite and short nails. You can get triple packs of seche vite reasonably on Amazon and they also do a thinner because it gets very gloopy, very quickly. Always store SV upright too. I could not be faffed to do my nails if I didn't use base and SV - tis genius.

Whatfun Sun 05-Jan-14 18:31:18

Let me know if you think the technique works for you.

Ifancyashandy Sun 05-Jan-14 18:25:44

And yy to Jessica and OPI polishes being great. I also think Chanel are rubbish.

Ifancyashandy Sun 05-Jan-14 18:24:46

Seche Vite. And Essie nail polish. Revlon is shit IME.

Buff your nails too, to get rid of any ridges - irregularities mean chips.

CockBollocks Sun 05-Jan-14 18:20:34

I do what white says and seche vite (fab stuff) also use opi.

Just found a boujous "silicone look" top coat that's miraculous. Keeps my varnish on all week. It was £8 in Boots.

OneMoreThenNoMore Sun 05-Jan-14 18:16:19

Thanks, louwn. smile

Might have a look at Maybelline gel polishes too...

Methe Sun 05-Jan-14 18:01:19

Some good tips here! Thanks all smile

louwn Sun 05-Jan-14 16:26:51

I think its about a tenner OneMore.

bunnymother Sun 05-Jan-14 16:25:40

I'm going to try that painting technique, too. The only polish that goes the distance for me (I do lots of housework) is the Maybelline gel polish, including (and especially) the top coat.

OneMoreThenNoMore Sun 05-Jan-14 16:20:29

That's a good idea Whatfun.

Is seche vite expensive?

louwn Sun 05-Jan-14 16:05:10

Ooh good tip Whatfun. Would like to add another vote for seche vite - excellent stuff.

Whatfun Sun 05-Jan-14 15:52:58

I have always had this problem despite using base and top coats. But I seem to have solved it. When I put the top coat on I make sure it coats the nail right down to the sides and then under the tip of the nail. I do one horizontal stroke across the top of the nail, angling it slightly so it curls round the tip.
My nails last several days now rather than one afternoon.

DrNick Sun 05-Jan-14 15:48:13

sali hansen fast dri

burnishedsilver Sun 05-Jan-14 15:41:50

I use nail tek nail strengthener as a base and a top coat. I can get nearly a week out of the polish like this. Otherwise it lasts a day max.

Artandco Sun 05-Jan-14 15:41:01

I use base coat. Essie nail varnish, then top coat

I keep my nails very short which seems to help it last a bit longer. And it looks much better as well. I've never used a top coat as any time I've tried it's made the nails look thick and gloopy.

nebulae Sun 05-Jan-14 15:37:29

Technique is important as well. You need to make sure your nails are really clean before you paint them. I scrub mine with a nail brush to remove any trace of hand cream, oils etc. Or you can swipe them with polish remover before you paint them. If you leave any trace of cream/grease/oil on your nails the polish will lift right off.

Methe Sun 05-Jan-14 14:44:02

I think the problem is that my nails are quite flexible towards the tip.

I don't really want to use shellac as I only want to wear nail varnish a couple of times a week at work and of I go out. I'm normally busy dogging my allotment at the weekend so it's all about the mud!

CrispyHedgeHog Sun 05-Jan-14 14:41:14

I think it depends on your nails.. I've bought some of the things I've seen recommended on here over the years and they've mostly been shite even though others swear by them.. bought a shellac kit now - was on offer in boots last month.

tethersend Sun 05-Jan-14 14:39:03

No, get proper base coat.

I use this one, it's good, but it's the only one I've tried so there may be better out there.

Then I use this on top.

I've just painted them now. And now I need a wee. Bollocks.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now