Please suggest a full make up brush set

(38 Posts)
Greentoothbrush Sun 05-Jan-14 00:36:54

As the subject says really, I don't have a huge budget, and they will be used for myself, for everyday use, but there's nothing worse than shedding brushes. Names don't matter to me, I just want to start learning how to apply make up properly and with more precision.
Thanks.

Jenda Thu 09-Jan-14 17:51:47

Here they are, she said very soft and no shedding as of yet but shes not had them long http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/251295359996?var=550265335211&ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649

sorry can't do links on tablet smile

cardamomginger Thu 09-Jan-14 01:04:41

just bought the real techniques set from hqhair. cheaper than bootscand Amazon grin .

LisaAmber Wed 08-Jan-14 22:20:06

I'd definitely recommend the Real Techniques brushes too. Boots often have them on 3 for 2, or have a look on Iherb.com as they are significantly cheaper plus they usually have a code for money off your first order. If you do order from this site, I'd recommend the standard delivery as you will still get them quite quickly and you're likely to avoid import charges. I placed an order for £65 worth of brushes (based on boots prices) and only paid £27 all in, delivered within 10 days. Xx

Greentoothbrush Wed 08-Jan-14 10:29:41

Jendna please can I have the link?
Not been to boots yet, and I'd like to have a nose smile thanks

Theonlyoneiknow Wed 08-Jan-14 09:41:16

Thanks, i have never washed my brushes which is really bad!!!! Will get on that asap as have baby shampoo in the house, eeks

ZacharyQuack Wed 08-Jan-14 09:20:28

I use homemade brush cleaner:

(​​1 cup distilled water
1/4 cup isopropyl alcohol
1/2 tablespoon dishwashing liquid
1/2 tablespoon baby shampoo
1 tablespoon spray leave in conditioner)

Mix together in a spray bottle, spray on paper towel and rub brush. I use this after every use, and clean properly with baby shampoo every week or two.

I use MAC's brush cleanser (watered down) between clients and then wash with very mild baby shampoo at the end of the day. If I were just using them on me I'd probably just wash them once a month or so.

Theonlyoneiknow Wed 08-Jan-14 08:00:45

Just wondering how people wash their brushes?

Jenda Mon 06-Jan-14 03:44:04

My friend is a make up artist and just reviewed a cheap ish set of brushes from ebay for her blog. She usually uses real techniques and MAC but was really surprised at how good they were. They came from China so took a few weeks. Would you like me to find the link?

I have just ordered some brushes from the MUA website and am excited to see how good they are smile

Greentoothbrush Mon 06-Jan-14 03:21:07

Thanks! I'll go in and check them out. smile

It looks great I've done that look before for nights out.

goodasitgets Mon 06-Jan-14 01:31:38

So watching her videos at one am made me try the bright smoky wearable eye one! No base or concealer on but I love it

goodasitgets Mon 06-Jan-14 00:46:31

Thanks, I shall have a look! I used it ages ago but have just dug it out to try again

Mainly I use it to blend really really well. It seems to fit in my socket line just right so that it adds depth before I always found that the colour went too high and didn't stay just in the crease. I also find it really good for doing a soft wash of colour over the eyelid or blending colors really well when you want a soft smokey eye.

I would suggest looking here for ideas of what you can use it for. I have learnt so much from watching her videos.

goodasitgets Mon 06-Jan-14 00:16:55

Whiter - I have that brush, what do you do with it?!

Aquelven Mon 06-Jan-14 00:06:11

Theonlyoneiknow visit your nearest art supply shop. The best ever ranges of fine brushes for lining eyes, great quality, & far cheaper than a designated eyeliner brush.

Real techniques are good as an allround set but please invest in a MAC 217, it's the best blending brush ever and it has totally changed how well applied my eye makeup is and allows me to be much more adventurous.

Theonlyoneiknow Sun 05-Jan-14 23:48:17

Sorry to hijack can anyone recommend a not too expensive eyeliner brush for using with gel liner?

AllOverIt Sun 05-Jan-14 22:09:17

Mac 217 is the blending one. The best brush you'll ever have.

foolssilver Sun 05-Jan-14 19:52:16

Another vote for real techniques, I have the powder brush, stippling brush and expert fave brush which are excellent. I have ecotools too but these are miles better.

Not tried any of their eye brushes as I have two mac ones which suit my needs. Can't remember the numbers but they are a slanted one and a blending one.

mewkins Sun 05-Jan-14 17:54:15

Yes real techniques- no moulting and good quality. I have the eye brush set (about £15 from amazon) and a blusher and powder brush. Use them every day.

Real Techniques.

poppysqueak Sun 05-Jan-14 16:25:37

Real Techniques - particularly the Stippling brush.
Best brushes I've ever bought.

TallulahBetty Sun 05-Jan-14 16:19:08

Has anyone tried Lydia brushes from Amazon?

QuinnFabray Sun 05-Jan-14 15:55:52

Both Ecotools and Real Techniques are very good.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now