Fashion 'no go' areas over 45?

(119 Posts)
purplegadget Sat 04-Jan-14 22:27:34

Even if you genuinely have the figure for it, are there still some things you really shouldn't wear if you're over 45? If so, what?

Ifancyashandy Sat 04-Jan-14 22:49:53

Bar your hair in bunches and tutus, wear what the feck you like, suits your shape & makes you feel good.

I have had strangers comment (positively) on my legs. I work hard in the gym. Damned if I'm not going to wear mini skirts, leather leggings and the like. I'm 45.

LynetteScavo Sat 04-Jan-14 22:50:37

OK, forget what I said about mini-skirts!

If you've got the legs for them, go ahead.

cerealqueen Sat 04-Jan-14 22:50:46

What with Polyester???

Granted, if it is cheap, (off the market) it looks cheap but I bought 100% polyester drop waist dress 20s style the other day, looks lush, like a chiffon type effect.

It all depends.

bunnymother Sat 04-Jan-14 22:52:39

Disney stuff. They had some Disney tops in Uniqlo a few months ago, and the poor, nice salesman asked if I wanted to look at one for myself. What? No, thank you.

Ifancyashandy Sat 04-Jan-14 22:54:01

I'm on a roll (and a rant). I get really fucked off with the whole 'what you should / shouldn't wear over 45' debate.

Says who exactly?

I wouldn't be seen dead in a tunic with leggings and ballet pumps. Or a jumper dress worn with the same (unless it were beautifully cut and probably made from cashmere) as I think it looks shapeless and boring. But I would defend any woman's right to wear it if she felt good in it.

I have my taste / she has hers. And that's what makes fashion fun.

And breathe...

purplegadget Sat 04-Jan-14 22:54:28

DrNick - interesting that you've changed your view on mini skirts. I currently think it depends on what you wear them with - can certainly look desperate. Actually thinking about it, that can be true at any age.

brandyandsummergloves Sat 04-Jan-14 22:54:52

I'd say crop tops and very low cut neckline.

Disclaimer: I have a pink fluffy jumper, wear short skirts on holiday and have long hair. I'm 52.

Bonsoir Sat 04-Jan-14 22:55:56

Yes, mini skirts with thick ribbed tights and flat winter boots are a good look. I shall wear them for as long as my inner thighs let me.

alemci Sat 04-Jan-14 23:01:03

depends on definition of mini skirt. I feel comfortable in above the knee skirts but not ultra short but that's on me.

purplegadget Sat 04-Jan-14 23:02:12

Ifancyashandy - I generally agree with you.

This thread was triggered by a friend commenting that another mum at school was too old to be wearing a tartan mini skirt however good her legs were.

I wondered whether it was a commonly held view that you could be 'too old' to wear something.

I was contemplating leather leggings the other day and wondered if it was a sign I was having a mid-life crisis :-)

ITCouldBeWorse Sat 04-Jan-14 23:04:24

I don't think there are any real rules. As soon as I think of one, I remember a friend or sleb breaking that rule and looking great.

Perhaps there could be policies, or general,guidance?

Meringue wedding gowns
'Cute' clothes
Crop tops (other than at beach or gym for anyone regardless of age)
Camel hooves for anyone, so inc the over 45s

Otherwise, I think the rule breakers often look fab
I'm still rocking my pseudo vintage stylee, just a bit worried I look as if I wore it first time around!

Diamondcassis Sat 04-Jan-14 23:08:22

I contemplated for an hour, then bought a leather (v v naice leather, much £, mid-thigh) mini-ish skirt in sales. Wore it twice this week, with flat boots and jumper. Felt Fantastic. Who else matters in that respect?

thenightsky Sat 04-Jan-14 23:08:27

tunic and leggings thing always makes me think of Boy George in his Church of the Poisoned Mind phase.

<same age as Bonsoir>

Bonsoir Sat 04-Jan-14 23:08:55

I don't think my DD's tweeny look (skinny jeans, Uggs, long-sleeved branded t-shirt, cardi-hoody) is a good look on over 35s. Though there are plenty around!

Ifancyashandy Sat 04-Jan-14 23:09:33

I've just worked with a bunch of 20-somethings. They constantly complimented me on my style and they adore fashion. Not bragging - just saying it in the context of this thread.

I do tend to buy good quality stuff - ASOS White Label is good. Also Joseph, Jaeger, Massimo Duti, Whistles etc. But I also shop in Zara, RI, Top Shop - wherever. Bought a Chinese style kimono jacket in Primark the other week.

Style is an attitude, not an age and to feck with people who don't get it. I don't get their lack of experimentation but would never comment on it.

Wear your leather leggings (and jeans & skirts - I have all three!) with pride!

bunnymother Sat 04-Jan-14 23:10:55

"This thread was triggered by a friend commenting that another mum at school was too old to be wearing a tartan mini skirt however good her legs were." - sorry, but the person making the comment just sounds a bit jealous / judgmental. She might not be, overall, but that's how she sounds in this context. Ignore.

ITCouldBeWorse Sat 04-Jan-14 23:12:22

I decided against a furry leopard print pencil skirt today - not cos I'm too old, but co I already have one!

1944girl Sat 04-Jan-14 23:12:47

I will be 70 this year.

I wear mini skirts and leggings and don't care what others think of me.I refuse to wear ''old lady'' clothes.
I only wear mini skirts with opaque tights and leggings with long tops though.
I refuse to grow my hair long as it ages me and makes me look like an old witch.

bunnymother Sat 04-Jan-14 23:14:54

1944girl - I like the sound of your approach!!

ggirl Sat 04-Jan-14 23:16:13

Trouble with mini skirts on older women is it makes you look at her and think about her age and quietly judge the skirt versus face etc. Sort of negates the good legs look iykwim .

thenightsky Sat 04-Jan-14 23:22:51

1944girl you rock it!

Robfordscrack Sat 04-Jan-14 23:24:35

Anything from abercrombie and fitch, hollister or jack wills - actually not if you're over 30.

I'm 43. I still wear mini skirts, but no shorter than mid thigh. I still wear shorts too, and sometimes have bright red or purple hair.

I wouldn't wear crop tops (but I didn't when I was 18 and a size 8 either tbh).

burnishedsilver Sat 04-Jan-14 23:37:03

I'm 42 and I a like a mini skirt but only with opaque tights and simple, classic boots and accessories.

Floisme Sat 04-Jan-14 23:47:53

Why oh why do people talk about older women as if they're a single, amorphous group? We are all different shapes and sizes and suit different things - just like younger women smile. The number one rule? Wear whatever makes you feel good. I'm 57.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now