Italian style

(60 Posts)
tartiflette Fri 03-Jan-14 21:17:08

Having loved the French women thread (and knowing a little about that having lived there for a couple of years) I'm really intrigued by references to stylish Italian women. What is typical? Despite having honeymooned in Sicily and visited Rome twice, I know very little about what typifies Italian style (though I did notice liberal use of sunglasses). Enlighten me!

babybarrister Sat 04-Jan-14 21:58:52

Stradivarius also Spanish - part if Zara chain I think!

Dilidali Sat 04-Jan-14 20:56:53

Hehehe, lafata, just placed my annual order with intimissimi smile.
Stradivarius is a place I often pick bits from.
I seem to have accumulated lots of stuff that have Nuna Lie written on the inside label. I vaguely remember going in a shop and coming out with lots of stuff, thinking:I'm never going to get away with wearing these in the UK, but I did. But which shop, I could not tell you.

LaFataTurchina Sat 04-Jan-14 19:56:09

I love upim it's like a cross between a tidy version of primark and tiger(has funky tea towels etc)

I like intimissimi for underwear and layering tops (good if you are small of boob)

zara, vero moda, united colours of benetton, and H&M (for youngsters) are also popular.

Bonsoir Sat 04-Jan-14 19:47:09

Desigual is clothing for people not interested in fashion and with no style or taste.

MrsCampbellBlack Sat 04-Jan-14 19:34:08

I loathe desigual.

squoosh Sat 04-Jan-14 19:30:52

This Desigual?

Looks classy.

DrNick Sat 04-Jan-14 19:28:53

But let's not forget that awful desigual. Oh em gee

Annunziata Sat 04-Jan-14 19:23:08

I am Sicilian and it can be baaaadddd down here, velour tracksuits seem to be popular atm.

charitygirl Sat 04-Jan-14 19:19:23

Am LOLing at wordfactory's 'mushroom-cum' coat.

Agree that while leathery bling look is not for me, I do love to see it done well.

nkf Sat 04-Jan-14 18:37:27

Actually, I meant Emporio Armani. Cheaper but still not cheap. Just googled it. I still like it. Who does it cheaper?

babybarrister Sat 04-Jan-14 18:36:12

I would just like to big up some of the Spanish designers though too - Adolfo Dominguez, Massimo Dutti, Sfera, Agatha Ruiz, Roberto Verino, Farrutz [shoes], Amaya Arzuaga, Pull & Bear

nkf Sat 04-Jan-14 18:33:44

In my high earning days, I loved the loose linen look of Giorgio Armani. It was so easy to wear and I always felt marvellous.

nkf Sat 04-Jan-14 18:32:06

Love the image of the well-groomed bin lady.

gaggiagirl Sat 04-Jan-14 18:22:22

I go to Rome a lot. My best ever sighting was of a bin lady. She stepped down from the trash truck in blue overalls tied around her waist, heavy duty boots, white vest, shades and perfect hair and make up. She looked stunning,glamorous and was practically dressed for her occupation. So jealous.

MrsCampbellBlack Sat 04-Jan-14 17:48:16

Obviously I know zara is spanish. Actually are there any equivalents for Italy - where does your normal Italian woman shop?

MrsCampbellBlack Sat 04-Jan-14 17:47:33

Same here, all the young french/spanish/italian tourists in down coats in June.

I do love a bit of bling though.

The regional variations are interesting and very much the same in the UK - I'm near Bath/cotswolds and its very very understated here. But then we don't even have a Zara shock

DrNick Sat 04-Jan-14 17:44:36

Every summer here we get loads of tourists. Italians in gloves in June. Weaklings

Dilidali Sat 04-Jan-14 17:21:23

nfk, that look done properly works in certain situations. Most Italian women work, look after the kids, are married to their husbands and the mother in law at the same time. Got cousins like mine who would tell you exactly what you look like if you get it wrong. We're talking day to day life. Practical but stylish.

I have lived here (UK) for nearly 20 years, can't tell you exactly if what I pay at the beautician, hairdresser etc in Italy is the right price, or is it just because my mum's cousin thrice removed knows this girl who's neighbour owes her a favour so she's 'doing me for a price'. Dunno, learnt not to ask these things.
But, it is affordable, it's not going to bankrupt me smile. Whereas in the UK, the prices for a facial, waxing, haircut.... Put it this way, my mum has a fit every time I go there and I am not groomed to an inch of my life. I remember twice a month appointments for manicure and waxing. In another life. But with the women I know, that's the norm.

nkf Sat 04-Jan-14 17:04:57

I think you are all too dismissive of the blingy look. I don't wear it myself but I like to see it. Those bottom clinging Versace dresses for example with skyscraper heels. It looks flashy and flaunting and really rather splendid. I thought Princess Diana really made those dresses work.

helzapoppin2 Sat 04-Jan-14 17:03:40

Polyhymnia , it was in the 30's C and I saw down jackets being worn. I thought they must just feel the cold more than us cold climate types. There was, of course, no perspiration involved.

Bonsoir Sat 04-Jan-14 16:54:37

I have a great navy down coat with a shawl collar, belted waist and sticking out skirt to above the knee - very cosy and still sexy - from Blauer (made in Italy).

squoosh Sat 04-Jan-14 16:28:22

.....aside from some fur I've just spotted her in.

squoosh Sat 04-Jan-14 16:26:31

Just googled Giovanna Battaglia, she looks amazing.

polyhymnia Sat 04-Jan-14 16:22:58

Massimo Duttti is Spanish actually.

santamarianovella Sat 04-Jan-14 15:02:54

tierd a very popular Italian down brand is add down, but the first choice for well to do Italians is maxmara down coats and moncler.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now