Italian style

(60 Posts)
tartiflette Fri 03-Jan-14 21:17:08

Having loved the French women thread (and knowing a little about that having lived there for a couple of years) I'm really intrigued by references to stylish Italian women. What is typical? Despite having honeymooned in Sicily and visited Rome twice, I know very little about what typifies Italian style (though I did notice liberal use of sunglasses). Enlighten me!

bunnymother Sat 04-Jan-14 11:46:25

I'm a lover of the Zara down jackets - have you looked there?

LaFataTurchina Sat 04-Jan-14 12:01:40

my local tkmaxx has racks of long down coats at the moment. I found a very nice dark grey one.

TiredMule Sat 04-Jan-14 12:41:10

I'm looking for a great down coat as well, but not a black one, hopefully Navy. If anyone knows of an Italian brand/shop I could look at I'd be a very happy bunny!

CrispyHedgeHog Sat 04-Jan-14 13:33:05

ahh santamarianovella, I now have an earworm of Pupo's song in my head grin

I know nothing of fashion so nothing constructive to add

polyhymnia Sat 04-Jan-14 13:49:55

I agree with Bonsoir, Santa Maria and other posters. In general am a big admirer of Italian women's style and prefer it - again in general - to French, except when it goes too bling.
Go to Milan quite a lot and enjoy people/ clothes watching there - but also always impressed by how soignée women in Turin are. If I'm in holiday not work mode they make me feel really scruffy.

All my coats are Italian (Max Mara), including my light down one which gets most wear, particularly at the moment when thick puffer type coats would be too hot. Think they are definitely worth the investment.

Quite a few of my shoes Italian too - Geox carefully chosen.

helzapoppin2 Sat 04-Jan-14 14:07:42

I was in Milan and Venice in September. It was still hot, but Italian women were wearing A/W13 which seemed to be skinny jeans, boots, big scarves and always long, glossy hair.

DrNick Sat 04-Jan-14 14:09:25

BLING

IMe

terrible in some instances

MadBusLady Sat 04-Jan-14 14:21:53

I love the shoe shops. I don't need "edgy" shoes or fashion colours or 4in+ heels, which eliminates about half of what's available in Britain, I just need classic styles in good colours I can actually wear.

polyhymnia Sat 04-Jan-14 14:29:22

helza, yes we always notice when in Rome in September that, though we're still wearing our warm weather clothes, Italians are immaculately kitted out in 'autumn' uniform of light down/ leather jackets, scarves and boots.

AndTwoBits Sat 04-Jan-14 14:57:25

Is massimo dutti italian?

santamarianovella Sat 04-Jan-14 15:02:54

tierd a very popular Italian down brand is add down, but the first choice for well to do Italians is maxmara down coats and moncler.

polyhymnia Sat 04-Jan-14 16:22:58

Massimo Duttti is Spanish actually.

squoosh Sat 04-Jan-14 16:26:31

Just googled Giovanna Battaglia, she looks amazing.

squoosh Sat 04-Jan-14 16:28:22

.....aside from some fur I've just spotted her in.

Bonsoir Sat 04-Jan-14 16:54:37

I have a great navy down coat with a shawl collar, belted waist and sticking out skirt to above the knee - very cosy and still sexy - from Blauer (made in Italy).

helzapoppin2 Sat 04-Jan-14 17:03:40

Polyhymnia , it was in the 30's C and I saw down jackets being worn. I thought they must just feel the cold more than us cold climate types. There was, of course, no perspiration involved.

nkf Sat 04-Jan-14 17:04:57

I think you are all too dismissive of the blingy look. I don't wear it myself but I like to see it. Those bottom clinging Versace dresses for example with skyscraper heels. It looks flashy and flaunting and really rather splendid. I thought Princess Diana really made those dresses work.

Dilidali Sat 04-Jan-14 17:21:23

nfk, that look done properly works in certain situations. Most Italian women work, look after the kids, are married to their husbands and the mother in law at the same time. Got cousins like mine who would tell you exactly what you look like if you get it wrong. We're talking day to day life. Practical but stylish.

I have lived here (UK) for nearly 20 years, can't tell you exactly if what I pay at the beautician, hairdresser etc in Italy is the right price, or is it just because my mum's cousin thrice removed knows this girl who's neighbour owes her a favour so she's 'doing me for a price'. Dunno, learnt not to ask these things.
But, it is affordable, it's not going to bankrupt me smile. Whereas in the UK, the prices for a facial, waxing, haircut.... Put it this way, my mum has a fit every time I go there and I am not groomed to an inch of my life. I remember twice a month appointments for manicure and waxing. In another life. But with the women I know, that's the norm.

DrNick Sat 04-Jan-14 17:44:36

Every summer here we get loads of tourists. Italians in gloves in June. Weaklings

MrsCampbellBlack Sat 04-Jan-14 17:47:33

Same here, all the young french/spanish/italian tourists in down coats in June.

I do love a bit of bling though.

The regional variations are interesting and very much the same in the UK - I'm near Bath/cotswolds and its very very understated here. But then we don't even have a Zara shock

MrsCampbellBlack Sat 04-Jan-14 17:48:16

Obviously I know zara is spanish. Actually are there any equivalents for Italy - where does your normal Italian woman shop?

gaggiagirl Sat 04-Jan-14 18:22:22

I go to Rome a lot. My best ever sighting was of a bin lady. She stepped down from the trash truck in blue overalls tied around her waist, heavy duty boots, white vest, shades and perfect hair and make up. She looked stunning,glamorous and was practically dressed for her occupation. So jealous.

nkf Sat 04-Jan-14 18:32:06

Love the image of the well-groomed bin lady.

nkf Sat 04-Jan-14 18:33:44

In my high earning days, I loved the loose linen look of Giorgio Armani. It was so easy to wear and I always felt marvellous.

babybarrister Sat 04-Jan-14 18:36:12

I would just like to big up some of the Spanish designers though too - Adolfo Dominguez, Massimo Dutti, Sfera, Agatha Ruiz, Roberto Verino, Farrutz [shoes], Amaya Arzuaga, Pull & Bear

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now