Looking for suitable face wash for DD10, want to start good habits

(82 Posts)
Mintymoomoo Fri 03-Jan-14 19:29:29

My 10 year old dd is in early stages of puberty, and noticed she is beginging to get few little blackheads and the odd tiny little pimple around nose!

She has very dry skin and is prone to very rough dry patches especially in winter (just like I did growing up) so looking for something easy for her to use thinking maybe a face wash and possibly a moisturiser though nothing to harsh that's going to make her skin worst

Any ideas?

onepieceoflollipop Fri 03-Jan-14 19:35:24

I would suggest something from the simple range.

I think that sometimes harsher, exfoliating, medicated type stuff can exacerbate unsettled smimg.

merryxmasyafilthyanimal Fri 03-Jan-14 20:07:26

I wouldn't use a face wash at all. The foaming soap will aggravate her skin. The best thing you can use is a cleanser on dry skin. Massage it in and then use a flannel and warm water to rinse. What about that Soap and Glory one - peaches and clean, I think it's called?

And don't fall for the brand name Simple! Full of as much crap as the rest.

sugar4eva Fri 03-Jan-14 21:34:45

My dd uses baby wipes or lotion. Simple moisture cream .for spots t tree oil or suda cream . Keep it simple. Didn't know that simple had ru bish in? See previous post .

Basketofchocolate Fri 03-Jan-14 21:39:48

I can recommend Purity Skincare from Holland & Barratt's. It's great - I have dry skin and still get spots and am far past puberty. However, it's the only one that gives me clear enough skin to not worry any more as it is not filled with crap.

Mintymoomoo Fri 03-Jan-14 21:53:17

Thanks for the suggestions we are having a girly shopping trip together into town tomorrow so will have a look at all that are mentioned thanks

BendyBusBuggy Fri 03-Jan-14 21:55:12

Lush have facial cleaners for young skin

Basketofchocolate Fri 03-Jan-14 21:58:09

I'd avoid lush with sensitive skin as some of their stuff can be harsh.

Go as natural as possible. If you can afford Green People or some such, they'd be good too.

SundaySimmons Fri 03-Jan-14 22:04:30

Good things skincare range

www.goodthingsbeauty.com

Annebronte Fri 03-Jan-14 22:06:23

Elemis have a range for young skin. Forgotten its name, but John Lewis stock it. Sali Hughes recommended it in a feature she did on teen skin. I've just bought my 11 year old their face wash and moisturiser - for exactly the reasons you describe and it definitely makes a difference.

curlew Fri 03-Jan-14 22:07:12

Will you do the same for your sons?

Thants Fri 03-Jan-14 22:08:53

What curlew said.

ConstantCraving Fri 03-Jan-14 22:14:16

and again - what curlew said.

merryxmasyafilthyanimal Fri 03-Jan-14 22:14:23

Avoid baby and face wipes - they are terrible for your skin!

LadyVetinari Fri 03-Jan-14 22:25:17

Avene Extremely Gentle Cleanser is fantastic for sensitive skin (but I always rinse it off rather than just wiping it away, even though the instructions say it isn't necessary to do so). It's available in Boots for £8, and the 200ml bottle does last several months IME.

Avene also does some lovely moisturisers - the Skin Recovery Cream is not cheap at £14 for 40ml, but I would strongly recommend it for the times when she has chapped cheeks etc as it really helps my skin to heal whenever it is damaged. Again, it lasts months even if used daily because you only need a small amount.

sleepdodger Fri 03-Jan-14 22:32:03

To all those crying 'what about your boys' .... What if you only have girls??

curlew Fri 03-Jan-14 22:37:44

I have yet to see anyone wanting to get their 10 year old boys into "good habits" with face wash and moisturiser- but maybe I missed them? Or maybe boys are just allowed to get on with being children?

Mintymoomoo Fri 03-Jan-14 22:40:51

Wow so many suggestions, just trying to be careful as I don't want to damage her skin or cause more problems, thinking it's going to have to be something easy for her to use also!

Sorry ladies I certainly can't comment on boys, we are a girl only household just me and my 3 girls xx

Mintymoomoo Fri 03-Jan-14 22:45:39

Sundaysimmons - is the good things range stocked in boots ?

Also what about body shop??? Anyone ??? What's there skin are range like?

McFox Fri 03-Jan-14 22:45:52

Why get her started using synthetic products at all? Hot cloth cleansing with a natural oil would be much better than introducing her to abrasive chemicals at that age surely?

merryxmasyafilthyanimal Fri 03-Jan-14 22:46:43

Oil cleansers are good! Coconut oil gets a lot of love on here! The camomile one from Body Shop is ok but doesn't smell that great

AllOverIt Fri 03-Jan-14 22:47:56

I would absolutely encourage my DS to use a decent cleanser and moisturiser when he hit puberty.

SundaySimmons Fri 03-Jan-14 22:49:00

http://www.boots.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/EndecaSearchListerView?storeId=10052&langId=-1&catalogId=10552&stReq=1&searchTerm=Good+things&newDepSearch=&x=-884&y=-64#container

I've bought it in Sainsburys for my daughter. Some are suitable for vegans which she is.

McFox Fri 03-Jan-14 23:01:47

There are loads of different oils that you can use - I've used jojoba and olive oil for a long time, and use coconut oil as a moisturiser.

Given that she is 10 wouldn't you prefer she used something without harsh chemicals involved?

NoComet Fri 03-Jan-14 23:11:36

My DDs (12&15) have their own 'good' habits. I just pay for stuff thrown in the shopping basket.

Me, my face gets water and shampoo drips in the shower every third day and a bit of ulay total effects moisturiser now and again. Oh and exfoliated with nice Boots number 7 stuff once in a blue moon, if there is any left, DD1 pinches it.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now