Can somebody please talk to me about threading?

(45 Posts)

Enough is enough. The tash has got to go.

I've bleached it for years but I don't think that's fooling anyone anymore confused I'm never letting anyone near it with wax again after a stupid bitch beautician ripped off a large strip of skin. Had electrolysis for a while but it's very slow going.
So threading - how long will I have a big red lip for? Is there any danger of losing a bit of my face again/bruising/any other unwanted effects?
Would be much appreciative of any advice you lovely ladies can give me! smile

Yup, since I was about 11! Makes it less hideous, but not invisible. hmm

Graceparkhill Fri 03-Jan-14 22:32:50

Ignore last post- you have tried bleaching! Sorry brain freeze here.

Graceparkhill Fri 03-Jan-14 22:31:25

Suppose this is obvious but have you tried bleaching?

Grace - I've had electrolysis in the past but the lady who did it now just teaches students rather than doing treatments. I went to another lady & she was not very good at all! Put me off a bit. It's not as expensive as you'd imagine though, think it was 15 quid a treatment (although you need a LOT of treatments). And it is the only properly permanent solution.

I like that it specifically states 'will not remove skin' - good to know!grin

MadAboutHotChoc Fri 03-Jan-14 19:53:52

Duh! It still looks fiddly - hope its easy to use.

GreatSoprendo Fri 03-Jan-14 19:14:14

Think it's an epi stick hotchoc rather than an epipen (thankfully). They do look pretty good - here. Just ordering one now to try it out!

GreatSoprendo Fri 03-Jan-14 19:10:36

You could thread your own lip? It's very very easy to do. Lots of youtube videos to teach you how. I find eyebrows a bit more fiddly to do myself so still get them waxed at a salon but top lip is super simple to thread for yourself.

MadAboutHotChoc Fri 03-Jan-14 19:06:58

How do you use an epi pen? confused

NorbertDentressangle Fri 03-Jan-14 15:51:14

Seeing this thread has prompted me to ask something I ponder every time I go into town......why are these threading stands always in the middle of very busy shopping centres and department stores where passers-by can see everything going on?!

I really am tempted to go and get my eyebrows done just to try it out but I don't really want the world and his wife watching.

Ladyglamalot Fri 03-Jan-14 10:40:35

I would never get my top lip done-eyebrows bloody hurt and I think I have a high pain threshhold! I love the results though so grit my teeth every 4 weeks and get it over and done with.

stephenisjustcoming Fri 03-Jan-14 09:50:38

I think the key with threading is to go to a very, very busy salon in an Asian community where the therapists are quick and fast and experienced, rather than a nervous-looking woman with a big ball of string in the middle of a shopping centre.

Graceparkhill Fri 03-Jan-14 09:32:55

I had my eyebrows threaded once, on impulse. It really was incredibly painful. I thought I would have to ask the girl to stop after the first one. To be fair my eyebrows looked amazing and it was very, very quick.

I can tolerate waxing, needles,childbirth etc but threading was a step too far.

Have you thought about electrolysis ? Expensive but might be worth it.

Orangeanddemons Fri 03-Jan-14 09:24:55

I've got that epi thing. It's very good, but I can't use it, it's just too painful

McLoven Fri 03-Jan-14 09:22:36

I'm another fan of threading - eyebrows & top lip. Just take a couple of ibuprofen an hour before you get it done if you're concerned about any pain.

pixelchick10 Fri 03-Jan-14 02:54:09

I'm a fan of threading too - eyebrows and (if I can face the pain ...) upper lip!

TeaJunky Fri 03-Jan-14 02:36:40

I thread my tash while waiting for dinner to cook.

Don't know why. I just do. It's ace grin

Yes it's a bit red afterwards but I just love that smooth clean look afterwards. Can't beat it!

happyyonisleepyyoni Fri 03-Jan-14 02:13:33

You can thread your own upper lip, I learnt how to do it from a YouTube video. The first time it is painful but satisfying. Then it's not too hurty to do the odd few hairs at a time. I use an epistick bought off amazon now.

EBearhug Fri 03-Jan-14 01:15:46

I have my eyebrows threaded, because it's only a fiver in town, but I cry every time (to be fair, I cry every time I'm at the optician, too, and they don't even touch me. I do have eyes which are very reactive to anyone being that close.)

Waxing is painless in comparison with threading (admittedly I've never had a bad, skin-ripping experience, and I suspect I would be feeling similarly wary had that happened to me.)

Every time I go to have my eyebrows threaded, I get asked if I want my upper lip done, which has nothing but fine blonde hairs. But even if it didn't, I'd rather cultivate a fine Dali-style 'tache than ever let someone near it with a tiny, thin, twisted thread of cotton pain and torture. I just assume that it would be possibly even more painful than eyebrows, and I'm not prepared to risk it. I may consider waxing in the future (although currently, my skin is going through some rubbish sensitive zit outbreak, and it's not having any sort of depilation or anything else till it's calmed down and started behaving more normally.)

3xM Fri 03-Jan-14 01:07:17

I've had eyebrows threaded and would do again as gives a great shape but is painful so wouldn't bother for upper lip. To de-tache I use DIY wax strips which I find cheap easy and quick and not that painful.

Ilovemydogandmydoglovesme Fri 03-Jan-14 00:01:59

Thanks Cointreau smile

Sounds like a random way to pull out a lot of small painful hairs.

I don't think I'll be trying it anytime soon. I'll stick to the tweezers. Never had a tach thank goodness.

CointreauVersial Thu 02-Jan-14 22:37:16

Ilovemydog - threading is where they remove the hair by grabbing it between twisted strands of cotton. I think it originated in Asian communities.

Ilovemydogandmydoglovesme Thu 02-Jan-14 22:09:07

But I need to know what it is!

<waaaaiiillss>

GeordieCherry Thu 02-Jan-14 21:53:20

Threading all the way! It stings the first few times. But it's very thorough & over quickly. Wouldn't ever allow someone to put hot wax on my face

CuriosityCola Thu 02-Jan-14 21:51:19

I get my top lip and eyebrows done and it the top lip really hurts. I combat it by having it done very regularly so each session doesn't take long. Same with eyebrows.

The redness goes very quickly. I have had mine done in the shopping centre and continued shopping with no one giving me a second glance.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now