Essential beauty/ skincare products

(9 Posts)
PenguinSalute Sat 28-Dec-13 12:25:46

I've slipped into a real rut since DS was born nearly 2 years ago and want to make some changes in 2014- I used to spend lots of time on looking after myself and being proud of how I looked, but these days tend to forget any kind of skincare or beauty routine.

Anyway, it's my birthday today, and I'm expecting a bit of birthday money- instead of using this on food shopping or petrol, I want to put it aside for a few staple items that will help me back into a good routine where I feel good about myself. I think one should be a good facial moisturiser, but have no idea where to start, so would be really grateful for any recommendations for this, or any other can't live without products?

TIA thanks

JennySense Sat 28-Dec-13 13:13:09

It's going to depend on your skin type but have a gander at the recommendations on the Beautypedia website. I've found them very useful.

PenguinSalute Sat 28-Dec-13 14:51:17

Thanks jenny I'll have a look there. What kind of items would you say are staples? I have no idea where to even start!

shoeprincess2 Sat 28-Dec-13 15:11:56

A good cleanser, serum and moisturiser. Plus a good foundation, blusher, eyeshadow and lipstick (though I would focus on just the foundation as skincare should be the priority).

Cleanser- I recommend that you hot cloth cleanse, so invest in a shed load of flannels and a cream cleanser (Superdrug's Vit E is great or Elemis Pro Radiance).

Serum- Estee Lauder Advanced Night Repair, or Olay 3 point serum

Moisturiser- anything from The Body Shop, REN, Elemis or Olay (various budgets there)

Foundation- depends what finish you require. I am prone to dehydration and dullness, so like something a little dewy (but not greasy). Dior Nude skin is the shizzle!

Other makeup bits can be sourced cheaply (check out MUA at Superdrug for a good UD Naked dupe). A decent blusher helps (NARS Deep Throat is good for adding peachiness, or something from Benefit). Lipsticks can vary in price- i don't necessarily think that pricey ones are worth it (I tend to bite my lips a lot, so a waste). Just keep them in good nick with a lip balm (Carmex tinted balms are a good dupe for Clinique Almost lipsticks)

BTW- I have a 3 year old and 1 year old, so don't have a great deal of time for a long winded skin care and makeup routine. Keep hydrated from the inside by avoiding caffeine etc etc and take a fish oil supplement. I have heard good things about applying rosehip oil at night, so might invest in a bottle of that soon...

Enjoy your skincare and makeup overhaul!!

Also, have a look on ebay for bargains

RainbowBlue Sat 28-Dec-13 15:21:15

I read somewhere that the items to spend money on should be a good cleanser, moisturiser and foundation. Toner and other bits of make up you can get away with.

My dd is 2 in a week and I got into a rut like you. Have been "back on the wagon" for abt 6 months. The cleanse, tone, moisturise routine takes 5 mins (has to as dd doesn't stop knocking on the door when I go in the bathroom shock). I wanted to look good because then I feel good, and dh noticed too!

RainbowBlue Sat 28-Dec-13 15:22:07

I meant you can get away with buying cheaper toners and make up products

PenguinSalute Sat 28-Dec-13 20:00:06

Ooh so it looks fairly conclusive that moisturiser and foundation is essential; I will have a hunt for these first- I used to love Dior makeup so that may be a good place to start. And cleansing, I did actually get bought a hot cloth cleansing set for Xmas so will have a look at trying that.

Reassuring to hear that it doesn't take hours too- DS is a total whirlwind so I can't take my eye off him for long! I feel like I lost my identity a lot when he was born, as my DF died very soon after and I struggled to make it through the day, let alone look presentable- but I'm feeling really inspired to start again now, thanks to you wise ladies!

Boredandfridgegazing Sun 29-Dec-13 03:18:22

Penguin, being a mum means that you are often too tired to make the effort to look good. By the time I get to take a break with my 2 children, it is 9pm. I watch TV for 1-1.5 hours with DH after dinner and then it's collapse into bed. I too feel the same way about letting myself go a bit, when I used to be a real glamour puss.

I have a "beauty bucket" that I have put some of my beauty products into and use whilst I am sitting on the sofa watching TV. I usually cleanse/ wash my face before I sit down to chill out and then sit there and remove any excess eye makeup and use my lotions and potions. I will also use hand cream and cream for my feet, perhaps use a moisturiser for arms and legs and run some Moroccan oil through my hair if washing it the next morning. I also have another bucket for nails grin That's a whole hour to gorgeous myself!! It is possible to watch TV and do this at the same time. It's multi-tasking.

My favourite products (after trying everything there ever was on the market) include - Estee Lauder's Advance Night Repair (expensive but worth it), SKII eye film, M Moroccan oil, I often put a cream over the EL's ANR such as Nivea, Body Shop's Vitamin E cream and I try to use up whatever is going that I have wasted money on, but don't want to bin. During the day, I use La Roche Posay.

I'm on a strictish budget - used to be a lancome/dermalogica addict.

Happy birthday! flowers hope you had a lovely day!

Exfoliate with st ives apricot scrub as needed, the ones with crushed kernels as the scrubs with plastic bits are really, really bad for the environment.
Clean with Simple face wash
Neals yard rose oil afterwards
Clarins eye cream (my one indulgence)
Elizabeth Arden visible difference from costco (cheapest place to buy)
My skin is the best it's been in ages, it's usually a bit on the dry side and i'm closer to 40 than 35!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now