I am right aren't I? Gel nails need to be removed properly?

(27 Posts)
KatyMac Sun 22-Dec-13 21:31:07

Not by DD following instructions from the internet?

timidviper Sun 22-Dec-13 21:32:47

I think salons soak them off with acetone or something but I have had them peel off at times although it may damage the nail, I suppose, if it doesn't come away easily

KateSpade Sun 22-Dec-13 21:39:32

Gel Needs to be filed off, Its acrylic that needs to be soaked off.

Or so i was told. How was she doing it Op?

PuppyMummy Sun 22-Dec-13 21:43:39

in theory yes but you can soak off at home the same way they would in a salon.

you need acetone remover. I use a proper one for removing artificial nails.

soak cotton wool in it, wrap each up in foil to hold them on. leave 20 mins then gently scrape off with an orange stick. It should go all crumbly and melted and come off with no effort.

you can also just soak in a bowl for 15-20 mins.

if she is peeling or picking it off that's bad as it will take the nail layers off.

PuppyMummy Sun 22-Dec-13 21:45:07

don't file them, you could end up filing the nail away. gel and shellac can be soaked off.

perplexedpirate Sun 22-Dec-13 21:51:35

Removing fake nails yourself is a very, very bad idea. My friend did it, lifted the nail bed, and now has a permanently exposed nerve in her finger.
It has been agony for her for over 10 years. The hospital have told her the only thing they can do is cut the nerve, leaving her finger permanently numb.
It's so painful that she's considering having it done.
Please, go to a salon.

CooEeeEldridge Sun 22-Dec-13 21:57:38

I soak my gel overlays off at home. Soak cotton wool in nail polish remover, place on nail, wrap foil around -10 mins later it mostly crumbles off. Been doing my own for two years and no horror stories / problems.. yet

KatyMac Sun 22-Dec-13 22:20:39

She is 16 - she asked me to buy the stuff (acetone) I've said no she has to go back to the salon

She only had them so she could grow her nails for auditions & tbh they do look good

KatyMac Sun 22-Dec-13 22:22:49

They are her own nails - the lady didn't add any length; just a layer to protect what was there so they looked nice & DD didn't pick them

It certainly worked

KateSpade Tue 24-Dec-13 08:34:19

How did she get on OP? Did she get them of?

I've had false nails on for so long, I can't stand having my natural nails and length past the end of my fingers!

I soaked my nails off in pure acetone. Took ages but it worked

Mabelandrose Tue 24-Dec-13 08:37:33

Yeah you can do it yourself. Might need to help her a bit though.

Thants Tue 24-Dec-13 08:57:14

You can def do it yourself. Going back is a waste of money. You can buy a massive bottle of pure acetone from Sally's. Just soak fingers in a bowl or soak enough for each finger in cotton wool, place on finger and keep on with tin foil. After about an hour it'll come off easy. The acetone can then just be used for really good nail polish remover.

Trills Tue 24-Dec-13 09:02:31

The way you describe it in your later posts, yes they can be soaked off with acetone. It'll be boring and take longer than you expect, but it won't do any harm.

I got pure acetone in home bargains

knitknack Tue 24-Dec-13 09:17:12

I do mine all the time - as will anyone who has one of the new kits (half price in boots ATM!)

I just use any polish remover (mustn't be acetone free though). I soak a cotton pad (I cut them into 4), wrap it around the nail and wrap foil around that. Leave for a few minutes and the slide straight off.

Trills Tue 24-Dec-13 09:18:40

What kit do you have knitknack? Would you recommend it?

EverSoFarAway Tue 24-Dec-13 09:20:53

Do NOT just soak your fingers in acetone.
Soak a cottonwool ball or pad in acetone.
Place on top of nail and wrap kitchen foil around it like a hat on the finger.
Place hands under a warmed towel.
Leave at least 15 minutes.
Wriggle the cotton pad to see how much the gel moves.
Either repeat with fresh cotton balls or use an orange stick to gentle scrap the gel off.
Do not pick. If it's not moveable with a gentle scrap re acetone them until the gel is tacky.

Those are the steps the salon would take. I'm a trained nail technician, not meant to advise people to do it at home as the salon makes pure profit on removal of gels

As previous posters have said, but before soaking give each nail a file to break the surface of the gel then soak in the cotton solo with tin foil tips.

I get mine done at home by a professional and this is what she taught me

ImpatientOne Tue 24-Dec-13 09:27:43

I used to soak my acrylic nails off with acetone with no problems. Gel is very different though and no matter how long you soak in acetone they won't come off.

I have never had acrylic nails but have successfully removed gellish polish from my nails using acetone. Gellish nails are much the same as shellac I think

KatyMac Tue 24-Dec-13 09:35:40

We haven't done anything yet - waiting until after Christmas!!

valiumredhead Tue 24-Dec-13 10:37:12

Mine just came off with bog standard varnish remover soaked pads held onto the nail with tin foil strips.

Theonlyoneiknow Tue 24-Dec-13 12:04:17

I have just had shellac nails done and had no idea I had to go to the salon to get them taken off ? Oh dear

WhoNickedMyName Tue 24-Dec-13 13:56:55

I used dental floss to remove my gel nails. If you google 'dental floss gel nails' you'll find loads of info on how to do it.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now