In Brooklyn the hipsters wear rings that don't fit them. Why?

(22 Posts)
Lighthousekeeping Tue 17-Dec-13 10:53:47

I've never seen it before. Rings that only go up to your knuckles. This shop was packed of youngsters buying these https://catbirdnyc.com/shop/product.php?productid=17037&cat=297&page=1 by the end of five days I too wanted rings that didn't go beyond the knuckle but at the ripe old age of 46, I fear this is one trend I can not join in on.

SofaCanary Tue 17-Dec-13 10:59:09

F*cking hipsters grin

Mignonette Tue 17-Dec-13 11:03:48

I have a ring that just goes over the top of my little finger below the nail.

Its just another form of adornment. I am 47 and quite a few people have complimented me on it. i don't wear it much as I always lose jewellery and they may well all be taking the piss behind my back fgrin but I quite like it.

Lighthousekeeping Tue 17-Dec-13 11:37:36

But you need to start stacking it now.

ZaraW Tue 17-Dec-13 12:13:04

I quite like the look I was going to say I am too old for it (42) but Karl Lagerfeld has been wearing that style of ring for years and looks good on him.

Lighthousekeeping Tue 17-Dec-13 12:19:11

Also they are very fine. Do fine you can hardly see them. My friend bought her fashionista daughter three and they were about $100 each. The daughter can hang around Ackney knowing she's on top of the trend. She also got an ear ring from the shop. $200. For one ear ring. So my dahlings we need several stacky rings on our wrinkled fingers and and just one ear ring so we look like the kids.

niceupthedance Tue 17-Dec-13 14:58:06

I'm 40 and wear them on nights out. Only problem is they are a bugger when going to loo and washing hands, especially after a few drinks.

dexter73 Tue 17-Dec-13 15:02:42

Don't they fall off?

I've always worn rings like this. One is my baby ring that I received when I was 1!

(Can't imagine giving a one year old a ring these days but hey ho!)

UsedToBeNDP Tue 17-Dec-13 16:14:43

I'm not a fan of these. Saw them on a blog about 6mo ago. They look a bit naff to me.

Mind you, I only wear one ring, my wedding ring and that is falling off me, so undersized diddly hipster toss isn't really my field of expertise.

LittleIllusionMachine Tue 17-Dec-13 16:23:41

I have loads of these, I'm wearing 3 now! grin

Lighthousekeeping Tue 17-Dec-13 16:34:29

Ha!! Do you live in Shordich?

UsedToBeNDP Tue 17-Dec-13 20:50:22

PMSL @ Karl Lagerfeld wearing them for years and looking great.

Leverette Tue 17-Dec-13 21:41:32

ROFL at undersized diddly hipster toss

tethersend Tue 17-Dec-13 21:48:18

They're a bit PhoebeFromFriends.

Aren't they annoying? I bet you can feel them constantly. I think they look a bit 90s in the style of those ring/bracelet combos that people used to wear.

peasandlove Wed 18-Dec-13 06:37:17

arent they called demi rings? I like, but havent investigated buying any.. yet

the one earring thing is back?! we used to rock that look about 8yrs ago.
I love a knuckle ring and have a couple of them.
I'm 28 if that makes a difference.

LittleIllusionMachine Wed 18-Dec-13 09:36:52

Ha! I don't live in Shoreditch, only a few miles away though. I'm not a hipster, more a hippy/rock hybrid...27 if that makes any difference!

Didn't realise these were a hipster thing though...I've seen cheap ones in Primark! grin

JuneauWhoIAm Wed 18-Dec-13 09:45:02

I wore one for years in my teens/ early twenties.

I wear them too!
Have worn them for a long time - discovered toe rings looked nice on fingers grin
And I'm a 41 year old non-hipster!

lifesgreatquestions Wed 18-Dec-13 20:31:06

I think I would like to be a hipster but am so out of fashion that I have no idea how to learn about trends!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now