Gold signet rings the upper middle class wear on their little finger

(140 Posts)
HanneHolm Mon 16-Dec-13 11:06:55

why? where from what for?
and has no one pointed out they are one step away from a MOM signet ring from Lizzy duke?

Damnautocorrect Wed 18-Dec-13 17:16:09

Oh no just found out I do have a coat of arms, super sad my ds doesn't have my surname. But his dads shit means nothing one. Hurmph

Gatekeeper Tue 17-Dec-13 18:59:54

"NEVER BEHIND" !! apologies but have been to a bit of a do and am merry

Gatekeeper Tue 17-Dec-13 18:56:06

I am dripping in tartans <pulls out sword>and fambly crests as am git cultered. There is nothing wrong with signet ring wearing I tell you

I did snigger at some gadgie wearing red breeks today though

I have strong drink taken ^ oh dearrr^

Damnautocorrect Tue 17-Dec-13 18:32:37

Oh oh oh My maternal side have a tartan, can I jump on the band wagon wear it?

RonaldMcDonald Tue 17-Dec-13 14:38:57

I had one. I think it depends on you as a person. I wasn't even be arsed to wear my wedding and engagement rings when i was married..so the signet thing really is old.
I got mine when i was 21 as all the women in the family did

prettykedi Tue 17-Dec-13 11:37:07

We have a family crest. Me and my sisters all wear signet rings with it on. It comes from my maternal grandfather's side of the family, who were Irish. Maternal grandfather was upper middle class. I'm working class.

diplodocus Tue 17-Dec-13 10:03:19

That is....individual, Schro. But as it's currently unavailable, there's must have been a run on them from somewhere.

MyMILisfromHELL Tue 17-Dec-13 08:02:03

My Grandad wore one. He was upper middle class. I'm lower middle class, however.

SchroSawMummyRidingSantaClaus Tue 17-Dec-13 02:01:04

It definitely is the worst coat of arms (I hope you can't get much worse than that anyway!) Wiki says there is also a stripped skull and leg bones on it as well but I can't see them? confused

Jealous of your raincloud one, that actually sounds pretty. sad

Wow.

I'm actually lost for words. That's probably the worst coat of arms I've ever seen. Congratulations?!

Mine is a raincloud. I'm basically a care bear.

SchroSawMummyRidingSantaClaus Tue 17-Dec-13 01:56:08

You're such a goth Schro!

SchroSawMummyRidingSantaClaus Tue 17-Dec-13 01:49:10

Our "family crest" has 3 cut off heads dripping with blood on it! Lovely, eh? grin

I don't see anything wrong with signet rings. There's nice ones and not nice ones.

Find one that suits your hand, as with anything, and you'll be fine.

And don't give a stuff what anyone else thinks about your jewellery. It's yours. Noone else's.

I say that as a jeweller and purveyor of good taste wink

squoosh Mon 16-Dec-13 22:55:56

Pinky rings aren't posh enough for me. I'm not confident in my gentleman caller's posh credentials unless he has a Prince Albert with attached chain to keep his well bred member flush beneath his breeches. The sign of a true gentleman I'm sure you'll agree.

Bunbaker Mon 16-Dec-13 22:45:31

"My parents in law believe that it is a sign of homosexuality. No joke!"

I'm sure they do. That was a popularly held opinion in the 1970s.

During the Victorian era, both single men and women uninterested in pursuing marriage could wear a ring on the little finger of their left hand. And in the 1950s and 1950s these rings became a self-identifying symbol in the gay community.

minipie Mon 16-Dec-13 22:39:19

I know a few quite posh people who wear them, including a woman or two (only when no sons to hand it down to mind you).

I don't like them. Can't quite articulate why, but it's similar to the old school tie - it smells of wanting to show you are a member of some sort of exclusive class based club to other members of that club. it's also very patriarchal - as if the only important thing about you, or at least the most important thing, is who your father was. No thanks.

I thought pinkie rings were worn by old-school gangsters.
Just google Krays and pinkie rings.

gwenniebee Mon 16-Dec-13 22:30:06

Wow. Some serious attitudes here.

Well, when mine is mended I shall continue to wear it in the same way as I wear my wedding and engagement rings (ie just normally and not "assumingly" (assuming that is the opposite of "unassuming")). My brother also wears my grandfather's ring. He's in the army and I'm a teacher (in the state sector, FWIW) so we're neither of us exactly rolling in it/entitled or any of the other massively wayward judgements made here.

lurkingaround Mon 16-Dec-13 22:28:31

I see Richard E Grant on Liberty, channel4, sporting a signet ring, left hand. <intelligent contribution to thread> hmm

yah Wig - but they're not all aristocracy innit.

FWIW pretty much every man I've met (quite a few) that wore a signet ring was an emotional retard probably arrested emotional development thanks to being sent to boarding school at the age of 6. They are best avoided IMHO smile.

dexter73 Mon 16-Dec-13 22:12:22

Fide sed cui vide - Trust but watch whom you trust

A good motto!

dexter73 Mon 16-Dec-13 22:09:57

Hanne - I'm not surprised you don't like crests as yours is a bit lairy!

HanneHolm Mon 16-Dec-13 22:08:36

Vwlrop I bet. Rl surname is bastardisation to hide turn of the century war crimes apparently. IKR

HanneHolm Mon 16-Dec-13 22:07:29

Oh god. Bin it. It's as bad as a pandora.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now