Gold signet rings the upper middle class wear on their little finger

(140 Posts)
HanneHolm Mon 16-Dec-13 11:06:55

why? where from what for?
and has no one pointed out they are one step away from a MOM signet ring from Lizzy duke?

Absy Mon 16-Dec-13 12:29:46

Yes yes, I'm with Scout Finch on this one - surely everyone's family is as old as everyone else's? It's just some started reading earlier than others, or raped and pillaged very successfully. It's not like, apart from a select few everyone else kind of landed on this planet 50 years ago.

diplodocus Mon 16-Dec-13 12:38:24

Just google your name - you'll almost certainly find a family crest for it should you feel the need.

EveningCalls Mon 16-Dec-13 12:38:28

CooEEE - my Dad always told me that's how you tell if a man is gay shock too

Absy Mon 16-Dec-13 12:45:09

I think I might do a Beckham and create my own family crest , given that none came up when I googled the name and "family crest". Though this guy came up. I think that's a good starting point.

Why do you care though? If someone wants to wear something that reminds them of their family that's not anyone else's business. Just like if someone wants to get their DC's names tattooed on their arm, or to wear a necklace with their baby's thumbprint on it. Just because it's not to your taste doesn't mean you need to be horrible about it. If you think it's ugly or stupid just ignore it.

My Dad has one, it's a family heirloom, in the old fashioned sense he is head of the family now. It's an item of family jewellery, nothing more.

squoosh Mon 16-Dec-13 13:10:18

Yah, Jamie Biscuits from Made in Chelsea is always sporting one. They are the finger equivalent of red trousers.

CallMeNancy Mon 16-Dec-13 13:12:21

Family crest. We have it in our cutlery too.

YoungBritishPissArtist Mon 16-Dec-13 13:18:54

Pippa Middleton wears one grin

I have a very popular surname, like probably top 10 popular. Shall I just Google the crest and start wearing one like I'm reet posh? grin

lookdeepintotheparka Mon 16-Dec-13 13:19:30

Key to this look is that the wearer has fat and stumpy little fingers grin

HanneHolm Mon 16-Dec-13 14:02:45

look at my fucking red trousers naff gold ring?

gwenniebee Mon 16-Dec-13 14:09:15

I have one, I'm not upper middle class I don't think! I inherited it from my great aunt, it's over 90 years old. Currently not adorning my right little finger as has worn too thin, but DH is getting it re-done (complete with crest re-imprinted) for my 30th.

It's part of my family history, it certainly doesn't feel "naff" to me.

EveningCalls Mon 16-Dec-13 14:15:16
ClaraStahlbaum Mon 16-Dec-13 14:33:56

Didn't the Middletons start wearing them relatively recently, you know, after they'd designed their family crest...

HanneHolm Mon 16-Dec-13 14:36:58
ClaraStahlbaum Mon 16-Dec-13 14:37:56

I'm not a Middleton-hater btw, but just thought that instead of trying to be aristo, when they're not and not considered that by other aristos (although probably MUCH better tolerated now that they're officially linked to The Family), they should have just been proud of being who they are.

Gatekeeper Mon 16-Dec-13 14:41:27

dh wears one; was his dad's and his dad's before him and on and on etc. We are not posh, upper class/whatever and it is NOT vile

HanneHolm Mon 16-Dec-13 14:41:53

Tis ;)

Gatekeeper Mon 16-Dec-13 14:44:36

Tisn't rasssssssssspppp
<slaps HanneHolm and runs away so she can't slap her back>

missmartha Mon 16-Dec-13 14:45:09

I've got my mum's. She had it as a birthday gift when she was seven.

My grandparents were very working class and proud, they definitely didn't have a family crest.

My grand father believed that people with family crests should be put up against a wall and shot.

dexter73 Mon 16-Dec-13 14:49:10

OMG!! Have just googled my maiden name and we have a crest! I'm off to Elizabeth Duke to get a ring made up with my crest on it asap!

squoosh Mon 16-Dec-13 14:53:38

Every name has a crest surely. I know every Irish family does.

But I wouldn't in a million years display my family crest anywhere, that's for American tourists.

dexter73 Mon 16-Dec-13 14:55:00

My mum's side of the family have a tartan. Is that better than a crest?

missmartha Mon 16-Dec-13 14:58:11

My mum's maiden name was Jones.

THe Jones crest probably isn't much to write home about.

I say that as someone with jones blood coursing through her veins.

Absy Mon 16-Dec-13 15:03:42

Not every name has a crest. I imagine it's way more common for anglo-saxon families to have crests, but after extensive googling research my family name doesn't have one. They weren't exactly handing them out in the shtetl.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now