Can a 40 year old wear...

(163 Posts)
Loonytoonie Sun 01-Dec-13 16:24:02

...denim shorts and thick tights? Possibly with chunky boots, maybe with ballerina shoes (black), and a fairly plainish long sleeve fitted top.

I have a fairly muscular build and decent legs. DH reckons I'm too old for that....

member Fri 06-Dec-13 23:18:18

Sounds perfectly fine to me & not strictly a young girls look: pre- teens tends to be reasonably modest denim shorts & leggings; teens the shorts revert to more of a hot pant length, usually no turn ups & revealing the "pantie" at the top of tight legs. In the case of teens, the tights quite often have snags / runs, aren't that thick & are teamed with whatever sneaker/clumsily style is prevalent at that time.

I think decent length shorts teamed with high denier tights & quality looking calf or below boots is absolutely fine on shapely legs on the more mature.

I really don't get the posts imploring that the OP wears a short skirt instead-mini skirts show off the equivalent amount of leg but can be far less flattering in the way they hang from any tummy.

PoshPaula Thu 05-Dec-13 23:29:17

Meant you go girl! (Random question mark in there, sorry).

PoshPaula Thu 05-Dec-13 23:27:44

Good for you, doris you go girl? I'm 44 and I love wearing biker boots, leggings, fake fur, skinnies, short(ish) skirts and coloured tights (not all at once).... I really enjoy clothes and fully intend to carry on doing so.

DorisHerod Thu 05-Dec-13 22:13:09

Because I look fabulous in it, that's why.

Roshbegosh Thu 05-Dec-13 20:42:29

No law against it Doris but why would you??? Oh dear.

TondelayoSchwarzkopf Thu 05-Dec-13 13:07:39

Also, and this is my last comment on this thread, I am much more judgmental about a 12 year old wearing tights and denim shorts than a 40 year old.

50ShadesOfMaybe Thu 05-Dec-13 10:11:12

Go for it, Doris, sounds great! I am at work today but fully intend to unleash my inner child/tart/clown on the world at the weekend!

DorisHerod Thu 05-Dec-13 09:58:38

Today I opted for my kilt, knee high socks (black) and biker boots. Rust coloured skinny fit jumper.

Did my hair and make up a la Bardot - flicky black lines and a long fringe with a messy up do.

Bear in mind I am 45 and a chubster. I shall wear what I jolly well like!!!

50ShadesOfMaybe Thu 05-Dec-13 09:44:23

I think the OP has been scared off - or at the very least confused. All the nay-sayers telling us its (a) tarty, (b) childish, or (c) ridiculous.

Whatever she decides, I hope she's having fun with what she wears.

Floisme Wed 04-Dec-13 23:01:39

Exactly!

Do you think the op is ever coming back?

PoshPaula Wed 04-Dec-13 22:37:33

Clothes shouldn't be too serious.

Floisme Wed 04-Dec-13 22:29:14

But so what if it looks ridiculous? Fashion is ridiculous - its grown women playing at dressing up FFS. It's silly and shallow and funny and fabulous. And that's the whole point.

PoshPaula Wed 04-Dec-13 21:50:53

Tondelayo I couldn't agree more.

TondelayoSchwarzkopf Wed 04-Dec-13 20:45:19

I don't think you should dress for your age. You should dress for your life, your interests and your character.

My mum is 67 and lives in ACDC t-shirts and jeans as she has done for most of my life. I can't imagine her in a tailored dress!

Same for me, I am nearly 40, work in a creative / media environment and spend the weekends chasing a 5 year old around the woods. I have spent most of my life in short skirts or jeans. It would look weird if I started wearing court shoes and LK Bennett just because of some arbitrary date on the calendar. Whereas nobody would bat an eyelid if I showed up at work in denim shorts and tights.

MrsYoungSalvoMontalbano Wed 04-Dec-13 20:37:01

Denim shorts over tights on anyone looks ridiculous, difference is, 12 year old girls can look ridiculous and they don't know it - 40 year old woman oughta be able to see it.

writingquestion Wed 04-Dec-13 19:57:51

I'm 40 and slim. generally told I look much younger than my age. I wouldn't.

Caitlin isstuck in the 90s fashionwise.

Somehow I don't think she gives a fuck though.

silverangel Wed 04-Dec-13 13:00:21

Nope. See Caitlin Moran in the Sunday Times. Too try hard.

PoshPaula Wed 04-Dec-13 12:57:22

It's so simple - wear what you want.

I just remember seeing Nigella in this look when she did a clothes swap thing with Caitlin Moran and she looked grim- not because she doesn't have the figure to pull it off, because she does, but it just looked incredibly tacky.

Caitlin Moran could do with a refresh frankly and leave the 1990's behind.

Freddiefrog Wed 04-Dec-13 09:56:07

The rule I follow for myself is that if my 12 year old DD is wearing it, I don't.

She, and all her mates, are currently sporting shorts and tights at the moment, so I'm leaving that look to her

I don't normally subscribe to can't wear this/that/the other over a certain age, but there are some styles that do look rather silly on me, and I can't say I'm a fan of denim shorts over tights

50ShadesOfMaybe Wed 04-Dec-13 08:50:12

Remus, Floisme, you've both summed me up. I can't carry off "classy" I always feel not me whenever I try. I choose clothes to have fun - at least out of work. And don't see why I should stop because I'm over 40.

Anyway, I still want to know what the OP did. Am hoping she's been strutting her stuff in shorts for the last two days!

Calling Loonie, calling Loonie

Karbea Wed 04-Dec-13 08:19:49

Oh I think men can, an older man couldn't carry off some clothes younger men do. You can still have fun with fashion without trying to look like a child. It seems people think you can only either look like a teenager or Barbara woodhouse...

intitgrand Wed 04-Dec-13 08:11:01

i think it just looks like a look put together on a teenagers allowance.a different fabric would be fine

Classy? If I try to look classy I just look dowdy. I'd rather look a bit daft tbh.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now