Can a 40 year old wear...

(163 Posts)
Loonytoonie Sun 01-Dec-13 16:24:02

...denim shorts and thick tights? Possibly with chunky boots, maybe with ballerina shoes (black), and a fairly plainish long sleeve fitted top.

I have a fairly muscular build and decent legs. DH reckons I'm too old for that....

PoshPaula Wed 04-Dec-13 21:50:53

Tondelayo I couldn't agree more.

Floisme Wed 04-Dec-13 22:29:14

But so what if it looks ridiculous? Fashion is ridiculous - its grown women playing at dressing up FFS. It's silly and shallow and funny and fabulous. And that's the whole point.

PoshPaula Wed 04-Dec-13 22:37:33

Clothes shouldn't be too serious.

Floisme Wed 04-Dec-13 23:01:39

Exactly!

Do you think the op is ever coming back?

50ShadesOfMaybe Thu 05-Dec-13 09:44:23

I think the OP has been scared off - or at the very least confused. All the nay-sayers telling us its (a) tarty, (b) childish, or (c) ridiculous.

Whatever she decides, I hope she's having fun with what she wears.

DorisHerod Thu 05-Dec-13 09:58:38

Today I opted for my kilt, knee high socks (black) and biker boots. Rust coloured skinny fit jumper.

Did my hair and make up a la Bardot - flicky black lines and a long fringe with a messy up do.

Bear in mind I am 45 and a chubster. I shall wear what I jolly well like!!!

50ShadesOfMaybe Thu 05-Dec-13 10:11:12

Go for it, Doris, sounds great! I am at work today but fully intend to unleash my inner child/tart/clown on the world at the weekend!

TondelayoSchwarzkopf Thu 05-Dec-13 13:07:39

Also, and this is my last comment on this thread, I am much more judgmental about a 12 year old wearing tights and denim shorts than a 40 year old.

Roshbegosh Thu 05-Dec-13 20:42:29

No law against it Doris but why would you??? Oh dear.

DorisHerod Thu 05-Dec-13 22:13:09

Because I look fabulous in it, that's why.

PoshPaula Thu 05-Dec-13 23:27:44

Good for you, doris you go girl? I'm 44 and I love wearing biker boots, leggings, fake fur, skinnies, short(ish) skirts and coloured tights (not all at once).... I really enjoy clothes and fully intend to carry on doing so.

PoshPaula Thu 05-Dec-13 23:29:17

Meant you go girl! (Random question mark in there, sorry).

member Fri 06-Dec-13 23:18:18

Sounds perfectly fine to me & not strictly a young girls look: pre- teens tends to be reasonably modest denim shorts & leggings; teens the shorts revert to more of a hot pant length, usually no turn ups & revealing the "pantie" at the top of tight legs. In the case of teens, the tights quite often have snags / runs, aren't that thick & are teamed with whatever sneaker/clumsily style is prevalent at that time.

I think decent length shorts teamed with high denier tights & quality looking calf or below boots is absolutely fine on shapely legs on the more mature.

I really don't get the posts imploring that the OP wears a short skirt instead-mini skirts show off the equivalent amount of leg but can be far less flattering in the way they hang from any tummy.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now