Can a 40 year old wear...

(163 Posts)
Loonytoonie Sun 01-Dec-13 16:24:02

...denim shorts and thick tights? Possibly with chunky boots, maybe with ballerina shoes (black), and a fairly plainish long sleeve fitted top.

I have a fairly muscular build and decent legs. DH reckons I'm too old for that....

AdventColander Sun 01-Dec-13 17:47:36

Could you wear patterned or bright coloured skinny jeans? I have some, dont feel muttony in them as long as my bum is covered

I wouldn't, I must say (although I am 50 and not 40). I do however wear skinny jeans with brightly patterned tunic tops (maybe I should not do that either...). I agree with Advent, if my bum is covered I feel I can get away with it.

glowgirl Sun 01-Dec-13 17:57:14

If you are trendy and slim then yes, this look doesnt look good on anyone overweight of any age.

TondelayoSchwarzkopf Sun 01-Dec-13 17:58:50

Well if you look like Kate Moss or Victoria Beckham then fine, but otherwise you will look a bit desperate and ridiculous.

The OP asked if she was too old to wear it - not if she was too thin / non-supermodel-ish. She has good legs and is in good shape.

Also your comment is ageist. biscuit

Twinklestein Sun 01-Dec-13 18:04:22

Def not but you could wear black shorts.

noddyholder Sun 01-Dec-13 18:05:53

I agree it depends on your general look and figure.

Roshbegosh Sun 01-Dec-13 18:08:35

Yes true annie but older people should have learnt something about how to dress. Surely someone in early middle age should have a bit of dignity and self awareness by then. I agree it does not look good on a lot of young girls but I can make allowances for them when they show off fat thighs, bellies and even their labia. Isn't that even worse on older women? Even if slim there are still much better looks to choose when you hit 40. The body shape changes, fact. It looks desperate and ridiculous. Everyone can do it, no law against it, but they will look like the sad old fart hanging around with youngsters at a club deluded about how young they look.

noddyholder Sun 01-Dec-13 18:08:59

looks good and she is not tiny

noddyholder Sun 01-Dec-13 18:09:38

Rosh that is rubbish

Roshbegosh Sun 01-Dec-13 18:14:25

Isn't there an upper age limit then? Honestly.

annieorangutan Sun 01-Dec-13 18:21:35

Depends if you look old roshbegosh Im 30 and often get mistaken for 17-19. Doubt when Im 40 I will look over 30. 40 is young nowadays if you have good genes and look after yourself.

noddyholder Sun 01-Dec-13 18:21:58

You know when something doesn't suit YOU anymore I have mates my age 48 who still could wear it. I would wear shorts not denim and tights s its not my style.

duckyfuzz Sun 01-Dec-13 18:34:33

Rosh what unbelievable ageist sexist crap

AngryBuddha Sun 01-Dec-13 18:38:56

Yes you can.

I am nearly 40, I do I wear it with a tailored jacket and long necklace or scarf. You only live once, wear whatever you want!

50ShadesOfMaybe Sun 01-Dec-13 18:39:36

OP: of course you can.

Do you like it? Do you think you look good? Wear it.

(I wore similar yesterday and I have a couple of years on you.)

rainbowfeet Sun 01-Dec-13 18:39:47

No shock

MrsCampbellBlack Sun 01-Dec-13 18:41:20

I wouldn't but that's because I don't like denim shorts with tights at any age. However some nice wool/flannel ones with opaques would look great with perhaps a nice cashmere jumper.

I'd dress it down if showing a lot of leg.

It's nothing to do with age.and everything to do with personal style and body shape (shape, not size).

MarshaBrady Sun 01-Dec-13 18:49:27

As others have said, more to do with style.

Financeprincess Sun 01-Dec-13 18:49:43

I wouldn't because I don't want to look like a 42 year old woman who wishes she were a teenager. You can wear lovely, stylish stuff that's age appropriate; you don't have to shop at Eastex and Jacques Vert! I wore very short skirts and denim shorts a lot when I was younger because I had the figure for it. I still do, but I don't want to look like mutton!

Pinupgirl Sun 01-Dec-13 18:58:13

I wouldn't but only because its completely not my style. If you like it then by all means wear it.

Financeprincess Sun 01-Dec-13 19:04:44

I'm unconvinced by the 'wear it if it's your style' argument. What if a 70 year old decided that sequinned hot pants and a bra top was her style? It would still look bl**dy awful! wouldn't it?

annieorangutan Sun 01-Dec-13 19:07:16

Financeprincess - As has been mentioned people like jlo, vb, tess daly etc are around/above that age and look good in that kind of stuff.

Earningsthread Sun 01-Dec-13 19:08:09

It's hard to know what to wear in your forties. Because the denim shorts and black opaque tights are strictly for teenagers. They are really. But at the same time, no forty-something wants to wear something shapeless in polyester from M&S. I think Hobbs is brilliant for 40 somethings. Nice mini skirt, long boots, nice tights. fitted jumper or nice shirt.

lifesgreatquestions Sun 01-Dec-13 19:09:44

I think this is going to be about quality and style, as well as having a good body for it. As you've described it OP, with the plain sweater, I think it would be fine... so long as the shorts were adult shorts and not the ones to show off your unmentionables.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now