"28 ridiculous mistakes all women have done at least once" - how many can you tick off?

(52 Posts)
Londonista85 Fri 29-Nov-13 22:26:12

I'm embarrassed to admit I've done well over half, but mostly when I was too young to know any better...

usvsth3m.com/post/68474214222/28-ridiculous-beauty-mistakes-all-women-have-made-at

lizzypuffs Sat 30-Nov-13 10:09:43

7. I think I read too many fashion mags when I was younger but my sensible head stopped me just enough to prevent too many blunders.

TheBitchesOfWeestick Sat 30-Nov-13 10:07:29

Not that many, since I'm quite low maintenance. I cut my own hair and cut in a fringe a few weeks ago - it looks fine. Do often poke myself in the eye with mascara wand though.

WhatTheHellIsHappening Sat 30-Nov-13 10:00:51

I've only done the last? Alternatively, I just haven't noticed the others...

LifeofPo Sat 30-Nov-13 09:55:30

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

TallulahBetty Sat 30-Nov-13 09:50:36

Some of these I've done on purpose . I always have block highlights for example, as I like them that way. Didn't realised other women were mocking me for my "mistake". Oh well, no fucks given grin grin

Thumbwitch Sat 30-Nov-13 09:43:44

About 6 and agree about the lack of home hair-dye. First time I did that was with Inecto Hint of a Tint, a semi-permanent (of course!). Copper. I didn't realise that my hair/skin was of the variety that ALL the colour takes in the first 10 seconds, so washed my hair in normal fashion (head hanging over the bath) and tipped the lot on the back of my head, then massaged it through my hair and left it as suggested.

Being 14 at the time, sometimes I still wore my hair to school in 2 bunches - I did this a couple of days later and my friends kindly pointed out the MAGENTA patch I had in the middle of the back of my head!

Done the fringe ones too. And the mascara-stick in the eye, and the runny mascara. Oh, and the sticky lipgloss. And probably lippy on the teeth, although no photographic evidence of it.

Shouldn't this be in Chat? wink

And I've done 3 (streaky fake tan on my legs, non-waterproof mascara - during a rainy 10k charity run, I must've looked a sight! - and leaving a product on too long). The last was inadvertent though; I fell asleep with a self-warming face mask on and it turned my face a lovely shade of sunburnt red. Went down in about a day (luckily, as my wedding was 5 days later!) blush

squoosh Sat 30-Nov-13 03:50:30

Why do people get so feckin' arsey about starting threads in the 'correct' category? 'Chat' by definition would appear to have been more than appropriate.

Makes me want to cut their fringes with a blunt scissors.

KungFuBustle Sat 30-Nov-13 00:40:12

I'm sure OP will write to the blogger and request a title change before attempting to share a lighthearted link on a Friday evening again. I know I will!

nooka Sat 30-Nov-13 00:31:07

I'm sure I got lipstick on my teeth in the days when I wore lipstick, oh and probably backcombing in the 80's but otherwise I've not really even been tempted to do any of those things.

I do have and have had blocky highlights done at ridiculous expense of time and money and always got very good feedback on them except from my mother who said I looked like a zebra. But then she just is very rude.

I get that this is really just a bit of fun, but I find it slightly irritating to be told that 'all women' have done all these things.

Still18atheart Sat 30-Nov-13 00:17:55

If i'm being totally honest 17

GeekInThePink Sat 30-Nov-13 00:08:51

Oh my word- the one where her hair was burnt off the curling iron!
That's horrible!

polyhymnia Fri 29-Nov-13 23:59:08

2 and a half. Worst was the eyebrows.

blueshoes Fri 29-Nov-13 23:42:53

spermy eyebrows, lol!

ErrolTheDragon Fri 29-Nov-13 23:20:43

None. I don't wear much make-up and I've got naturally straight blonde hair. (where's the [smug] emoticon? grin)

None. Not a proper girl clearly.

Londonista85 Fri 29-Nov-13 23:04:47

I tried to go blonde at home and thought I'd done a fairly decent job until I saw a photo of me from the side. There was a random orangey patch, and the front part looked grey compared to the rest of it because the toner had taken better for some reason :S

exexpat Fri 29-Nov-13 23:01:15

Zero. All of them are easily avoided by hardly ever wearing make-up, not messing around much with your hair and never using fake tan.

KungFuBustle Fri 29-Nov-13 22:59:09

Yes OP "well done". hmm

Back to the fun. Any darker haired PERSONS ever tried to go blonde, at home? I looked like Vivian from the Young Ones.

7- the eyebrows
28- the self hair cut resulting in
8- the dodgy fringe blush

CointreauVersial Fri 29-Nov-13 22:57:59

Probably 4 or 5.

I remember wearing a new face powder to our office Christmas party, and it must have been one of those light reflecting ones. In all the photos I looked pearlescent, glowing like an alien. grin

2 - poking myself in the eye, and wearing non-waterproof mascara. Mind you, if you extend over-plucking eyebrows into 'shaving off the outer third of your eyebrows' ... yeah, 3.

Otherwise, about 90% of my fashion/beauty mistakes can be summarised as 'being a teenager in the 80s'. grin

youretoastmildred Fri 29-Nov-13 22:53:45

I did "fringe" and "self haircut" as a two-fer.
My best male friend said it was hot.
My best female friend said it looked as if my wig had slipped off backwards.

feelingdizzy Fri 29-Nov-13 22:52:44

21 was very adventurous with different styles ,in my younger days.

Grotbagstwin Fri 29-Nov-13 22:49:18

15! The perfume one was the worst, I walked into the pub and was told by the bloke that makes your skin crawl 'ooh I love a woman with strong perfume' I drove home and scrubbed my skin, second is the hair ones, yes to a terrible fringe (more than once) yep to burning my hair off, back combing the brush into my hair and the blocked highlights. blush

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now