Is there such thing as a fashionable backpack?

(22 Posts)
currentbuns Sat 23-Nov-13 09:57:00

My kids have Kankens, they are great but the colours & styling may be slightly garish for an adult. Liberty have some v. nice backpacks. I like this one Sandqvist

Lazysuzanne Sat 23-Nov-13 01:42:48

I have a couple of troop london back packs along with various other makes for various purposes.
I dont care too much about trendiness, I find other types of bags annoying to carry so I pretty much only ever use backpacks.

Melfish Sat 23-Nov-13 00:07:11

I have a classic kanken. It is fab and have stuffed it full of junk before and the straps haven't dug in. Go on, get one!

Ziggyzoom Sat 23-Nov-13 00:05:35

I'm lusting after this one Troop London I'm hoping DH will pick up on my hints!

No idea whether it is fashionable though!

Kemmo Fri 22-Nov-13 23:57:21

I have the same grafea as Boodles

It is indeed lush smile

boodles Fri 22-Nov-13 22:42:27

I have this www.grafea.co.uk/shop/Leather_Rucksack.html and it is lush.

PosyNarker Thu 21-Nov-13 22:21:36

Umm, no tbh there is no such thing as a fashionable backpack.

So I'd go the whole hog and get one that's fit for purpose. An outdoorsy make in plain black for example.

Alternatively, you might be able to get a bag that is convertible between backpack & cross body (sorry no links, my mother got me one years ago and I didn't like it but YMMV).

LydiaLunches Thu 21-Nov-13 22:18:04

The problem with leather is it is heavy before you put stuff in, especially if slinging!

GreatSoprendo Thu 21-Nov-13 22:11:11

I have the same problem as you OP, and I've given up on the change bag and bought an Eastpak. I'm not sure I could claim its 'fashionable' but it's simple and nice looking in the pale grey that I've got here

libertychick Thu 21-Nov-13 22:06:59

That Spencer Devine one is gorgeous!

I bought this Oxford Bag Company one for my sister recently.

ShreddedHoops Thu 21-Nov-13 20:47:28

I have this Spencer Devine one - it's amazing, it can be worn as a shoulder bag, a tote or a backpack by adjusting the straps. It's a thing of beauty. A bit over budget but it's gorgeous. Which I'm not convinced the Kanken is, sorry - depends on your style I guess whether it looks cool or geeky. I've seen leather backpacks in TK Maxx and Topshop too, maybe worth a look if you like the idea.

Chocchip88 Thu 21-Nov-13 16:42:36

Yes, yes, I must be a style icon. Who knew? Next you'll be telling me that snot covered clothes are the latest thing (don't you just love this time of year!).
Think I'm going to go with the Kanken. Now to choose a colour...

Charotte31 Thu 21-Nov-13 16:23:19

Yummy mummy do nice back packs. That's what I might get for number 2. Like the idea of being hands free!!

ENormaSnob Thu 21-Nov-13 16:16:32

Loads of teens and trendy youngsters have backpacks at the mo.

You are obviously a style icon without realising it grin

Chocchip88 Thu 21-Nov-13 16:16:15

Hmm...the shoulder straps on the Kanken look very narrow and likely to dig in. Has anyone got one?
I like the blue stripey with tan buckles too.

ErrolTheDragon Thu 21-Nov-13 16:06:53

>My husband thinks I look like a tourist

No, you look like a normal mother of young children! Whereas I looked like a rambler... I rapidly gave up any attempt at style and started using an old Karrimor day sack because it was comfortable and avoided sweaty overheated back.

squoosh Thu 21-Nov-13 15:38:20

The Kankens are very trendy at the moment.

I love the Kanken! Get one of those!

ElizabethBathory Thu 21-Nov-13 15:10:35

I like blue and white striped ones with tan leather parts like these. I saw a student carrying one the other day and it looked really stylish smile

LydiaLunches Thu 21-Nov-13 14:29:44

Fjällräven Känken are neat and trendy, not so much stylish but a good change bag I think.

hollowhallows Thu 21-Nov-13 14:18:48

Get yourself an Eastpak, i have two.

Chocchip88 Thu 21-Nov-13 14:17:06

I have two small children, one of which I often wear in a sling. After nearly strangling the poor baby with a cross body bag I have accepted my fate of being a backpack wearer blush. My husband thinks I look like a tourist but it leaves me hands free so I don't care.
My current backpack of choice is a rather unattractive yet practical navy nylon Mamas and Papas number, but I have decided to treat myself for Christmas. But wear to look? I suppose my budget is up to about £100 (but cheaper would be good), I don't even know what I'm looking for really.
Any help appreciated

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now