brush recommendations please for 11yr old dd

(14 Posts)
Gatekeeper Thu 21-Nov-13 13:27:42

Currently using Tangle Teezer thing and will chuck it in the bin very soon as it's crap

DD has long, layered hair and although she has lots and lots of hair it is soft and fine and ties itself into knots.

Battles every morning over the state of it as she looks like a St Trinian girl!
Doesn't like combs (or soap much) and short hair isn't an option

What can you 'sell' me smile?

Heathcliff27 Thu 21-Nov-13 13:37:42

Sorry cant help you but will be interested to hear other suggestions. We too are using a tangle teaser, its fine for my youngest who has long wavy hair but my eldest has very thick hair and loads of it, the teaser only brushes the top layer of her hair.

Gatekeeper Thu 21-Nov-13 13:42:36

exactly Heathcliff..I want something that will brush through her hair rather than smooth the top bit (underneath is like birds nest)

Heathcliff27 Thu 21-Nov-13 13:44:32

Same here its a nightmare, washing it is like trying to wash a duvet in a bath!

bigTillyMint Thu 21-Nov-13 13:47:33

A paddle brush? I used to have very long, thick hair (it's now shorter and layered!) and they were great for my hair.

Denmans are lovely.

bigTillyMint Thu 21-Nov-13 15:39:22

Oh yes, Denmans are good.

bigTillyMint Thu 21-Nov-13 15:41:00

Just checking that she starts by holding her hair tightly in her hand and brushing the bottom few inches, then moves up a bit, etc before she gets to brushing the full length?

I swear by bamboo or wooden brushes now. My hair has always tangled really easily but they don't hurt and untangle really well. I had a bamboo one from Tkmaxx before my dog ate it and now have a Woodyhog by Kent.

Gatekeeper Thu 21-Nov-13 19:33:22

ooh.. are the bristles made of wood Fractured . I am intrigued

Yes, I was in Tkmax earlier looking for a replacement bamboo brush but they only had the minis. The one I'm looking to replace was nearly paddle brush sized as the woodyhog is quite small (although that might be better for an 11 year old)

The bristles are wood so they don't bend but are smooth. I don't know if they are actually better for the hair but mine was a tangled mess after too much bleaching last year and the wooden brushes really helped. I would recommend Tkmax if you live near one as they were only £4-5 in there.

DorrisM Fri 22-Nov-13 00:22:14

Hair oil and a paddle brush do the trick here.

Monty27 Fri 22-Nov-13 00:23:31

Yup a paddle brush smile

Gatekeeper Sat 23-Nov-13 10:39:11

thanks all; off to look at Denman brushes

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now