Don't judge me but I want a onesie

(89 Posts)
FragglerockAmpersand Wed 20-Nov-13 21:59:10

Can anyone recommend a really warm (insulated?) onesie with a hood - that goes up to plus size? Infuriatingly I'm about a 16 but have a massive arse and thighs.

I know, I know, they're gross; but I seriously do live in the coldest house of all time and work from home, and can't really afford to have the central heating on all day.

The internet's full of the blighters but most of them look very thin and a bit pointless. Can't afford to be too choosy on the style but I do like the whole Aztec and Fair Isle look.

Thanks in advance for not taking the piss grin

FragglerockAmpersand Thu 21-Nov-13 08:30:02

By the way have you all seen the ones that are about £150?! I mean they look nice and warm and all that but honestly...

purplewithred Thu 21-Nov-13 08:41:32

My mum bought me a white fluffy one from Sainsburys; it's fleecy on the inside and fluffy on the outside. It even has ears on the hood and everything.

(I would kill for a cashmere one though...)

LittleTulip Thu 21-Nov-13 08:50:39

Horrendous.

Don't do it ladies!!

What's wrong with some jersey pants and jumper/sweater/fleece? Why must everybody want to look like big bloody babies?

I don't get it.

CurlsLDN Thu 21-Nov-13 08:57:01

I bought a jersey onesie for my hen do, which was a camping weekend. It was amazing.

I believe new look have maternity ones online, which I may just have to invest in as it gets colder.

All those saying what about a dressing gown, what about when you go to sainsburys? (Joking!!)

SpookyRestingFace Thu 21-Nov-13 09:24:22

Oh I really want one too. Discovered this site the other night as I shivered on the couch; spent half an hour designing onesies for the DC and me but did not check out as am not wealthy enough shock

Actually the only reasons I haven't yet bought a onesie are:

1) Hate cheap fleece, want something a bit nicer blush but never have time to go shopping in person and it is hard to tell online
2) The thought of the merciless mocking I will get from DP when I appear in it blush

Snowbility Thu 21-Nov-13 10:34:04

Kids bought dh and I one - they love having a life size teddy to cuddle while watching tv on a Saturday night - it's lovely to see their faces light up when we appear in them, it won't last long....and it makes us smile with the silliness of it all.

BeCool Thu 21-Nov-13 11:04:03

Dear Fraggle I am overburdened in pretty much every area, but thankfully in proportion. There is plenty of room in there smile
I am 5'8" and probably maximum height for it, so if you were shorter that that there will be even more room.

BeCool Thu 21-Nov-13 11:05:32

All those saying what about a dressing gown, what about when you go to sainsburys?
funny! grin
(I have considered this too though)

julesjam Thu 21-Nov-13 11:07:43

Oo oo, I bought my first recently! I'm not even ashamed, now I've done it wink

Matalan, grey jersey - the kind with a nice cosy inside - £14. So warm and comfy, I love it. It's got a drawstring bit around the middle so it looks more like a joined up tracksuit and a bit less Tellytubby-ish. Although I would now totally consider a tellytubby style one too. I'm all about the comf grin

julesjam Thu 21-Nov-13 11:09:48

And I definitely didn't wear it to Tesco the other night when I nipped out for some shopping... blush

DuckToWater Thu 21-Nov-13 11:19:00

I got mine last year from here:

www.boohoo.com/restofworld/search/page/search?q=onesie#esp_cf=ESP_Gender&esp_filter_ESP_Gender=Women&esp_viewall=y

I like the Fair Isle/Aztec type. Mine doesn't have the pom poms though smile

I'm a size 14 and the size 14 I got is generous.

DuckToWater Thu 21-Nov-13 11:20:10

I'm 5'7" and not small of thigh/leg BTW.

I want one too but again not a fleece one I feel like my hair would be constantly static.

I've just bought dh a batman one from primark for xmas. ive seen some really nice ones in next so might try and get one in the sales.

SilverCharm1 Thu 21-Nov-13 12:09:09

I think I am in shock. Onesie support thread. Love it... but not as much as I love my onesie!

FragglerockAmpersand Thu 21-Nov-13 13:28:02

Well, I've just been in Next, and they have the most RIDICULOUS awesome range of onesies, including one that would make me look like a giant cuddly furry cream teddybear grin

DH is sold on the whole idea and is quite keen to get matching ones, in a display of sickening marital harmony grin

Still not convinced that any of the ones I've seen will be truly warm, though. Where I live got down to -17 degrees last year, we live in a chily end of terrace Victorian house, and we can't really afford to have the hearting on during the day. I dream of something I can put on over pants and a T shirt and will keep me warm - but am I just chasing rainbows? sad sad sad

lifesgreatquestions Thu 21-Nov-13 13:42:46

I've wondered about getting matching onesies for me and OH for Christmas as a joke... he would laugh, wear it for chirstmas morning and then bin it but I am secretly tempted to this darkest of dark underworlds. My issues are 1) the look of them, that's a given, b) do they have seams on the inside - I wouldn't like that, 3) sweats and tees hide my belly (which is not too bad but you know) and I worry that a onesy would do horrific things with my belly. Can any of you out onesy wearers advise me on the latter two points?

lifesgreatquestions Thu 21-Nov-13 13:47:53

Actually, I'm out, I just googled and found a cosmo article from January this year reviewing the best onesies and I can see that I would look hideous in it!

Gutted123 Thu 21-Nov-13 13:57:36

I love my fluffy Primark ones. It's amazing how warm they keep you (I'm a cold soul).

Gutted123 Thu 21-Nov-13 14:00:26

I don't sleep in mine - too hot and prone to uncomfortable rucking up.

I wear my night Tshirt underneath and just quickly she'd the onesie before hopping into bed. Also warmer when you go to the loo.

Gutted123 Thu 21-Nov-13 14:00:55

Shed ^

BeCool Thu 21-Nov-13 14:11:05

I don't sleep in mine either - too hot for me

KrabbyPatty Fri 22-Nov-13 19:59:24

My husband said he would find it impossible to fancy me ever again if I wore a onesie.

I can see his point.

BeCool Fri 22-Nov-13 20:35:25

OMG major onsie failure tonight.

I half dropped off putting DC to bed and then the door buzzer went - grocery delivery. I had completely forgotten about it when I got changed into onsie earlier when I got home from work.

As I'm going to the door I think oh heck I'm in my onsie! First time smile So I open the door and stupidly half apologise for being in onsie like he cares anyway

So I take the delivery etc and they guy seems in quite a hurry and is looking at me sideways. I start putting groceries away and realise I'm feeling a little drafty! Holy cow - DD2 has only uznipped me right down the front and I hadn't realised. I'm practically naked underneath and I am ahem, rather busty! I am wearing a vest underneath but DD had pulled that right down too so I was rather exposed. Poor guys would have got a right eyeful. I'm not liable to be charged am I blush

MORTIFICATION - Had to share with someone! Let this be a lesson to us all!

Iaintdunnuffink Fri 22-Nov-13 20:38:23

I got this one last weekend

http://www.clothingattesco.com/nightwear+slippers/f+f-fair-isle-onesie/invt/cc322230&bklist=icat,2,wm-onesies

I haven't had the courage to wear it yet and my husband doesn't know I have it. Should I come down in it and surprise him ? or pop it into a conversation to prepare him?

CockBollocks Fri 22-Nov-13 21:18:39

I have a fluffy Next one, its zebra print very tasteful. Incredibly warm!! In fact it hasn't been quite cold enough yet. smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now